Author Topic: Seasoned my Iron Griddle with Crisbee Update  (Read 21346 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Seasoned my Iron Griddle with Crisbee Update
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
July 12 2016

I ordered a new Stargazer 10.5 inch skillet due to be shipped in August. At the same time I ordered some Crisbee Sticks and received them. I first saw the Crisbee product on Jeffrey B. Rogers U-tube site The Culinary fanatic. He is pretty knowledgeable on cast iron cookware and has the most info of anyone I know on the net.

He has over 200 pieces of cast iron he has seasoned or re-seasoned, old and new. He cleans them with electrolysis or in a self-cleaning oven then seasons with Crisco 3 to 4 times before using.  He did a Finex skillet with the Crisbee seasoning; it contains bees wax along with oils.

This is what they say about their product:
*Beeswax is very stable for starters. As an ingredient in the blend, once used to season your cast iron, it will stay on and protect it from rust, mildew, and keep from going rancid. Samples of beeswax thousands of years old are nearly identical to new wax!

*Beeswax does not oxidize and it is not affected by mildew. Once you have applied the cast iron seasoning, storing your cast iron cookware in a dark, cool place for extended periods of time will not be an issue
I recently bought a Camp Chef iron griddle for my gas burner. I seasoned it with lard 3 times before cooking on it. My first cook was some smash burgers and onions. After cooking I just scraped it and wiped it down. I then covered it and it stays outdoors. I got it out for another cook and you can see in the first photo I had some rust. I thought I would try the Crisbee on it.

I cleaned it with a pumice stone then heated it and while warming up I applied some of the Crisbee and wiped it down. I let it go for about 15 minutes after getting to about 600 deg. After it cooled down I did another coat. I would have liked to do a third time but it was getting too close to supper time.
I browned some brats and onions on it. After I tried to clean it the same way by just scraping and wiping good then covered it. Now just have to wait and see if that helps the rust problem. This may not be a fair test since I don’t know how iron takes on seasoning compared to cast iron or carbon steel.

Heating first time

After second time

Sprayed with a little Pam, ready to cook

Cooking on it

Smokin Don

Update:

July 20 2016

After I had seasoned the griddle twice with the Crisbee stick I browned up some brats and some onions on it. I tried to treat it the way I did when I found the rust on it so I just covered it and let set. That was about 2 weeks ago and it has been humid with a couple of showers.

I uncovered it to use the burner to steam corn and found it had rusted but not as much as the first time. I scraped it with a putty knife and wiped it good. It looked like the rust was gone so sprayed with a little PAM and wiped down; all looked nice and black.

The first time it was rust in the metal since I had to use a pumice stone on it. This time I think it was mostly just surface rust so I think the Crisbee did help. When we get some cooler weather I plan to treat it a couple of more times with the Crisbee stick.

Like I said the griddle is iron and not cast iron or carbon steel so this might not be the best test. In the meantime I think I need to not be so lazy and get it cleaned well after cooking.

I know there are several of you that have griddles to cook on. Please tell us how you take care of them

After just scraping and adding Pam

Smokin Don

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:14:31 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Re: Seasoned my Iron Griddle with Crisbee
« on: July 12, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
Looks like a nice improvement-- keep us posted with how it holds up!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
Very interesting product Don

I will take a brat please ;D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »

Have Bun - Will Travel

Oh, and I am curious about the results, too ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Seasoned my Iron Griddle with Crisbee Update
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
I just updated my original post. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Seasoned my Iron Griddle with Crisbee Update
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »
When I first got my griddle,  same as Don's, I washed it good with dish soap, hot water and a scrubbee pad. Rinsed well, then put it on the burner to dry all moisture. While still fairly hot I gave it a good coat of safflower oil. After an hour or so I wiped the excess oil off with a paper towel. It was now ready to cook on. I did not use soap from then on. Treated it like castiron. So for the next six or seven cooks more oil was added after a hot water scrubbing. At this point I had a nice finish going so I changed the cleaning a bit again. When the food was removed from hot griddle, I put a glass of hot water on and it instantly boils away any stuck on food. The spatula scrapes everything down and into the trough. Nothing has gotten thru my finish and the water loosens everything up and gets it smooth again. Burner goes on to dry any moisture, and a very thin coat of safflower oil is applied. I DO NOT keep this outside, it's kept in an enclosed back porch until needed again. It is non-stick at this point. Very very happy with the quality and ease of use of this griddle. 8)