Author Topic: Thinking about upgrading the UUNI  (Read 22574 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Thinking about upgrading the UUNI
« Reply #-1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
I like the UUNI a lot but I am not liking the fact that the stone is almost worthless after cooking the first pizza. I saw on UUNI's Facebook page that some have bought a custom baking steel to go into their UUNIs. I have e-mailed baking steel about it, I think I am going to spend the $$ to get one. The steel doesn't lose it's heat like the stone and also absorbs zero moisture so you get nice browning on the first pie as well as the last.

Stay tuned for more info as I get it!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Thinking about upgrading the UUNI
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
Watching this one.  I am waiting on Uuni to let me know when the fire management option will be available for my Uuni 2.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Thinking about upgrading the UUNI
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
I have a baking steel for my oven. Very heavy, but it works great
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »
Can't wait to see! :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
I like the UUNI a lot but I am not liking the fact that the stone is almost worthless after cooking the first pizza. I saw on UUNI's Facebook page that some have bought a custom baking steel to go into their UUNIs. I have e-mailed baking steel about it, I think I am going to spend the $$ to get one. The steel doesn't lose it's heat like the stone and also absorbs zero moisture so you get nice browning on the first pie as well as the last.

Stay tuned for more info as I get it!

RG is the stone fixed to the Uuni or is it removable.  If it's removable,  it may just need a seasoning or two like cast iron. We have two, one for the house (14" round) and one I got from GMG (18" square) for the pellet grill.  Both got a scrubbing using a brush and hot water. Next dried in a 325F oven, then a thin coat of safflower or peanut oil using a cloth towel. Then into 325 - 350F oven for twenty minutes or so.
Both perform like non-stick. They keep getting better like ci. You just can't ever use soap or....sticking.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:40:55 AM »
I have the steel and the stone. Both are removable. The steel is not very thick.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »
Mike, you have the UUNI steel though right? The one I want is thick, made by bakingsteel.com, they got a few requests from UUNI owners to make them to the exact size of the stone to fit the UUNI so I e-mailed them about it and am waiting for a response. I imagine if demand continues, they'll offer it online without having to have it custom ordered. It's going to be expensive, those baking steels aren't cheap. I have 2 of Broil King's "grilling steels, one is round and one is square. Stephanie makes smash burgers on them on the keg, they work great for that but I've always heard that they are much better than stones for heat retention so we shall see!

Here's what the steel looks like in the UUNI

There are other mods that people are doing to it like a flame shield to protect the edge of pizza from getting burned (this particular person is using a VERY THICK 3/4" pizza stone trimmed to fit the UUNI)

This guy just uses aluminum foil as a flame barrier

And this UUNI owner decided to mount a thermometer in the door

I doubt I'll ever worry about the door thermometer but the steel and the flame shield/barrier ideas I like!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
I ordered the baking steel, they e-mailed me that they made another run of them. Hopefully I'll have it by the weekend. Can't wait to try it out!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 01:03:31 AM »
The first UUni had a heat shield like that. I find that proper flame management and pie rotation eliminated the need for it.

I am interested in your results from the thicker steel. I had good results with the UUni stone but you just need to let it recover a little between pies.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 12:30:14 PM »
The first UUni had a heat shield like that. I find that proper flame management and pie rotation eliminated the need for it.

I am interested in your results from the thicker steel. I had good results with the UUni stone but you just need to let it recover a little between pies.

I have had good results with the stone, not great so I figured what the heck. If the Baking Steel people would've actually shipped the steel when they said they did instead of just printing a label and telling me it was shipped, I would've had it for this weekend. Instead, it'll be here Monday so I'll have to find time during the week to use it. Isn't that the way it always goes? LOL

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
Got my baking steel in today, now I just need to find the time to make some pizzas!

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
Alrighty folks. I have made pizzas with the baking steel but I don't want to use that session as my source for the review. The reason being is that I cheated and made the pizzas on parchment paper and took them down on pans and then slid them from the pans into the UUNI. While this makes it easier than making them on the spot, worrying about them sliding or not, it absolutely defeats the whole purpose of getting the steel! After the pizza sets, I shimmy the paper out from under the pizza to let it sit on the steel for browning but it is being robbed of precious time on that steel. So....I will try again tomorrow, going to make some dough today and make pizzas for lunch tomorrow. This time, they will be made on the spot, slid off of the peel and once I get a fair assessment of the steel, I'll report back!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
Getting Hungry!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
I have the original Uuni. Muebe fixed me up iwth a battery pack to use it..works great but I solved this problem with a metal pizza peel. just shove it in the Uuni, leave it in and it fits perfectly and the handle  does the work for me..very easy to pull out and turn pizza this way and just have to put pizza on cutting board when it's done. It doesn't stick to the peel, very easy to use.  just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
Good idea Pam! That's one way to solve the problem!