Author Topic: New Video of the Slow and Sear in action!  (Read 4979 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: New Video of the Slow and Sear in action!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 09:21:17 AM »
Hey the hug technique...I like that - sort of a Heimlich for a Weber..... ;D

( My wife has caught me hugging my grills before. She said I needed therapy. Something about how I "think with my stomach". I said - no, just another grill would  be cheaper and more digestively therapeutic. ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »
Tried the Texas Hug on the lid. No luck. The large binder clips I bought don't like the kettle. They just fly off.

Tomorrow I'll try a new approach. Will gently caress that darn lid and try to sweet talk it. Problem is I lost my touch 20 or 30 years ago.  :)
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »
Tried the Texas Hug on the lid. No luck. The large binder clips I bought don't like the kettle. They just fly off.

Tomorrow I'll try a new approach. Will gently caress that darn lid and try to sweet talk it. Problem is I lost my touch 20 or 30 years ago.  :)

1. Acquire a 2"x4" approx. 18" in length.
2. Round off all the corners - so as to make it "capsule shaped"
3.Paint it blue.
4.Threaten the lid ...and tell it it had better "straighten up" ;D ;)

I know....sometimes my humor is a "bitter pill"....And sometimes even a "big pill to swallow"..... ::) 8) ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline abcbarbecue

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »

1. Acquire a 2"x4" approx. 18" in length.
2. Round off all the corners - so as to make it "capsule shaped"
3.Paint it blue.
4.Threaten the lid ...and tell it it had better "straighten up" ;D ;)

I know....sometimes my humor is a "bitter pill"....And sometimes even a "big pill to swallow"..... ::) 8) ;D

OK you've got one of THOSE lids.  The ones with edges so steep the clips won't stick.  My most expensive kettle, a Crimson Red perfomer, is the same way unfortunately.

You may ultimately have to get a gasket, but let's try a simpler approach.

Place the lid on the kettle when the fire is warming up with all the lit and unlit coals in the SnS.  ROTATE it a little back and forth until your leaks are as tame as they can be.  Once fire passes 175 F close the bottom vent until it's just cracked a bit.  From then on start cranking down on the top lid vent until you're stable at 225 F.  Rotate the lid back and forth again (20 degrees or less should be fine you want to keep the vent over the indirect side) until the lid leaks are reduced as much as you can.  Tighten the vent a little more and now walk away for 15 minutes.

I bet your leaks will disapper.  If they don't, you might need the gasket.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
In all seriousness...David pointed out something often overlooked...What appears to be perfectly round to the eye - is most often not.
I found that out with my Weber kettle (like rotating the lid a small amount at a time, like the hands on a clock.) and after twisting the lid a little at a time, I found a position which fit much better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Baby Back Maniac

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
In all seriousness...David pointed out something often overlooked...What appears to be perfectly round to the eye - is most often not.
I found that out with my Weber kettle (like rotating the lid a small amount at a time, like the hands on a clock.) and after twisting the lid a little at a time, I found a position which fit much better.

If you put your lid on the ground and it rocks back and forth, it's out of round. In the past, Weber was very quick to replace those free of charge.

They seem to have tightened up a bit in the last few years but it's still worth a phone call. Worst they can say is no. They've replaced two lids for me for this reason in the past though. Their idea, not mine.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »

If you put your lid on the ground and it rocks back and forth, it's out of round. In the past, Weber was very quick to replace those free of charge.

They seem to have tightened up a bit in the last few years but it's still worth a phone call. Worst they can say is no. They've replaced two lids for me for this reason in the past though. Their idea, not mine.

Great point....
Weber has replaced an entire grill body for me - and All Ic called to asked about was how to fix a small problem. I can say that their customer service is still top notch.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »

Great point....
Weber has replaced an entire grill body for me - and All Ic called to asked about was how to fix a small problem. I can say that their customer service is still top notch.

I tried David's suggested method and it really didn't help. My lid on the garage floor will rock back and forth. Used a hacksaw blade to run around the bottom edge while on the floor and approximately 40% of the circumference the blade would go underneath. Will try customer service tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. If not I will order a gasket kit and hope it works. Only one I can find for the 22 is this one.
Appreciate any ideas on more gaskets if you know of any.

http://bbqgaskets.com/kits-by-brand/weber/weber-kettle-gasket-kit.html

Really appreciate all the help you guys have given me on this problem. :thumbup:

Ron
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 08:23:46 PM »

Great point....

I tried David's suggested method and it really didn't help. My lid on the garage floor will rock back and forth. Used a hacksaw blade to run around the bottom edge while on the floor and approximately 40% of the circumference the blade would go underneath. Will try customer service tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. If not I will order a gasket kit and hope it works. Only one I can find for the 22 is this one.
Appreciate any ideas on more gaskets if you know of any.

http://bbqgaskets.com/kits-by-brand/weber/weber-kettle-gasket-kit.html

Really appreciate all the help you guys have given me on this problem. :thumbup:

Ron

Ron, I just ordered that gasket for my kettle today. I will let you know how it works out once I get it and get it installed.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Subvet

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »

[/quote]

Ron, I just ordered that gasket for my kettle today. I will let you know how it works out once I get it and get it installed.
[/quote]

Thanks Mike. Looks fairly easy if you have a helper.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Subvet

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
Well, Weber customer service is just as good as their reputation. They are sending me a new lid.
Had me measure the bowl and lid. Bowl was perfect. Lid was 23 1/8" vertical and 22 15/16" horizontal. Way out of specs. Hopefully the new lid will fit perfectly.

Thank you Baby Back Maniac for suggesting I give them a call. And thanks to all you guys that made suggestions on how to solve the problem.

Soon I'll be able to get maximum benefit from my Slow n Sear by being able to control the temp better. :thumbup:  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:14:50 PM by Subvet »
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »
Well, Weber customer service is just as good as their reputation. They are sending me a new lid.
Had me measure the bowl and lid. Bowl was perfect. Lid was 23 1/8" vertical and 22 15/16" horizontal. Way out of specs. Hopefully the new lid will fit perfectly.

Thank you Baby Back Maniac for suggesting I give them a call. And thanks to all you guys that made suggestions on how to solve the problem.

Soon I'll be able to get maximum benefit from my Slow n Sear by being able to control the temp better. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I also want to thank you and Justin (Baby Back Maniac) for the suggestion. My lid was 23 3/8" vertical and 22 7/8" horizontal. It is a 2014 model and still under warranty according to Weber. They are sending me a new one!  :) Excellent customer service!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Subvet

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »

I also want to thank you and Justin (Baby Back Maniac) for the suggestion. My lid was 23 3/8" vertical and 22 7/8" horizontal. It is a 2014 model and still under warranty according to Weber. They are sending me a new one!  :) Excellent customer service!

That is great news. Weber has set the gold standard for customer service.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill