Author Topic: Converting a MES 30 Elite Analog into a snack stick smoker  (Read 18509 times)

Offline DWard51

Converting a MES 30 Elite Analog into a snack stick smoker
« Reply #-1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Ok, I've been pondering this for a while.

Some time back I picked up a huge, as it 7 1/2' tall McCall proofer/warmer that I intended to convert to a mega snack stick and smoked sausage making machine.  I liked this particular unit as it was inexpensive (like $85 with the auction fee and taxes), all stainless inside and out, the heating element was at the top of the unit, air is pulled from the top of the cabinet and forced across a finned heating element by 2 fans and then flows down a channel on one side of the cabinet with louvers to evenly distributed the heated air around the interior of the cabinet.  Should have even heating and no danger of a grease fire as there is no way for the drippings to hit the element.  Only problem is where to put it.  The dang thing is too tall to go under my garage door so storing it there and rolling it out to use is not an option and I'm out of room on the covered porch (plus the wife said it's too big so that was the end of the put it on the porch campaign).  So it has been sitting in storage since I bought it.

I recently saw a thread in another forum where a user modded his MES 30 Elite Analog to upgrade from the 3 racks that come with the unit to a total of 8 racks. Photo is of his rack mod.

I already own a Auber Instrument PID "in a box" controller that I bought to run the element in my e-WSM mod.  The e-WSM does a great job on sticks and smoked sausage, I just need more real estate.  I was looking at modding the e-WSM and adding racks but by the time I bought the racks and had the frame I wanted welded up I was looking at a $100+ mod.  So the $170 MES 30 Elite Analog was starting to look attractive.  Here is my PID controller. It will be plug and play with the MES 30.

So this weekend I was checking out the "going out of business" sale at the local Gander Mountain.  They had the MES 30 Elite Analog for 20% off which brought the price down to $132.  I bought one.  Here is the stock unit with no mods after simply running wide open for about 2 hours to burn off any shipping oil.  It held 375* no problems in 70* ambient heat (temp by Thermapen - the dial thermo in door is off by 25* over 250 - shocker).  Since I'm looking at cold smoking, snack sticks and smoked sausage, I only need to get to the 170-180* range so I think I'm covered.

All that open space up top is just screaming "please add more cooking racks to me!"  The mod will add 3 more and I also ordered 2 more racks for the open rack space at the bottom (total of 8 racks when done).  That little white light you see at the top right of the interior is the only smoke exhaust port.  I'm also going to add a real adjustable smoke stack on the top and use this opening as a temp sensor probe inlet (will plug with a drilled and slit silicone plug).

Air inlet looks a little on the small side also,  I may end up opening it up later.

So right now the MES 30 Elite Analog is stock from the box.  Here is a list of the mods I'm considering....

1) add 5 more food racks and do the mod posted here:

2) add a real smoke stack - adjustable model from a Lowes Master Forge gas smoker.  I'm going to put a wide baffle about an inch below the bottom of the stack,  I want to spread the in flow to the stack out over a larger area and more from the sides of the smoker to combat the natural tendency for the air to flow straight up and out the stack. Photo of the stack I'm ordering (back ordered until May 1st):

3) place a cut section from a stainless steel "hotel pan false bottom" for steaming above the heating element.  Purpose will be to more evenly distribute heat and smoke over a larger area via it's size (as a metal radiating surface) and via the holes in it. If I pull the rack for the smoke box and water pan, I should be able to find and cut a hotel pan false bottom unit to slide on the mounts for the existing rack above the heating element.

4) close off whimpy 3/4" exhaust port on back of smoker with a slit and drilled silicone plug (use for temp probe wire inlet)

5) use Auber "plug & play" PID controller to regulate 1,500 watt element and control temps

6) use AMZNPS tray for smoke source, may require opening up larger air inlet on the bottom (larger hole or more smaller holes).  I also intend on building a heat shield to sit slightly above the pellet tray and shield it from the heating element.

7) depending on results of pellet tray and smoke stack mods, I may raise the heating element like others have done.

8) may add insulating door gasket to stem leakage of smoke and better seal unit.

9) may drill out the top rivets and pull the top off so I can slide in rock wool insulation and insulate the body.  As is, the unit is a double wall, uninsulated (dead air space) shell.  It looks like after drilling rivets for the top I can slide in sections of rock wool.  Same for the door, drill rivets and insulate.

So the part collecting begins.....

Offline GusRobin

• Test
to help out a fellow forum buddy, I will offer to store the proofer on my back deck free of charge.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Jaxon

Re: Converting a MES 30 Elite Analog into a snack stick smoker
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »
I have the MES 40" digital model.   Will this work therein?

BTW, we're having a cookout with several forum members in less than 2 weeks...the 21st and 22nd.
We would really like to meet you in person and share some food and fire with you.
We're about 20 miles south of Macon on I-75.
Lemme know if you can make it and I'll send more details.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
I have the MES 40" digital model.   Will this work therein?

BTW, we're having a cookout with several forum members in less than 2 weeks...the 21st and 22nd.
We would really like to meet you in person and share some food and fire with you.
We're about 20 miles south of Macon on I-75.
Lemme know if you can make it and I'll send more details.

The 40" digital would require some changes to work.  Main thing is a PID would need to be wired to control the heating element after the MES control circuitry. Otherwise I don't know if it would work if you plugged the MES 40 into the Auber plug & play PID controller as it would be switching the power to everything (like unplugging and plugging back in the MES 40) every time the PID changed states.

Also the rack mounts on the MES 40 digital are different than what I'm dealing with.  It think you could order 2 sets of the replacement rack mounts for the Analog model and then change out the mounts in the MES 40.  This would let you stack 8 or more sets of racks, but if you look at the existing MES 40 rack mounts they are spaced differently than the Analog.  Of course this is assuming the MES 40 racks will fit in a MES 30 analog rack mount also.

I had seen the impromptu gathering post earlier, but we have a previously scheduled family event that weekend.  However if that changes, I will try to make it.  I'll let you know if it looks like we can make it.  One of these days I need to meet the group face to face.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
Also the more I think about the mods I'm planning, I'm starting to lean towards putting in the insulation first. Couple of things are influencing this decision.

1) Temp of outer body was 135* to 140* when I did the initial burn in of the unit.  Temp was measured by a certified calibration non-contact IR gun.  Insulation will certainly get this down and also less heat loss means more heat efficiency inside the smoker.

2) I have seen posts about people having trouble getting over 230* in this uninsulated unit when smoking in 25* weather.  I do smoke in winter, and although 225* is way more than I need for sticks, there is still a lot of heat loss apparently.

3) It will be easier to add the insulation now rather than later.  I'm assuming once I drill the rivet on the top section and lift it off, I have a clear channel down each of the 3 sides to slid in a pre-cut rock wool panel.  I can unscrew all the rack mounts and remove the heating element much easier now so the insulation has a clear and unobstructed path. 

4) I will probably use rivet nuts for all the rack mounts for the additional rack mounts.  One comment the originator of the Mod made is the sheet metal is thin and it's easy to strip out a screw. Rivet nuts put in with a good aviation grade tool will fix that problem.  But rivet nuts once installed will be a potential point for the insulation to hang on as I slide it in, so it makes sense to put the insulation in first in a clear and unobstructed channel. 

It looks like the top is just a cap that is slid over the body of the smoker and held in place by 2 rivets on each side and the back.  The door interior is held in place by rivets also.

If I decide to drill out the rivets and pop the top, I will let everyone know what I find and how it goes.