Author Topic: Show us your 2017 Garden  (Read 2044 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Show us your 2017 Garden
« Reply #-1 on: April 16, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »

I'll get it started ...

Got a late start this year here in Northern California. Took out my backyard grass a few years ago and replaced it with six 8' x 4' raised beds complete with a drip irrigation system. Got my bush beans, pole beans, and cucumbers in the planters on the retaining wall.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Subvet

Re: Show us your 2017 Garden
« on: April 16, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
Nice setup in raised beds.  :thumbup: I'm guessing you have a short growing season.

My garden has just been put in and not worthy of a pic yet. I grow everything in buckets using the Rain Gutter Grow System method. Here is a pic from a couple years ago. I always get good results and there are no weeds to pull.  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »
Too early for me.

We could have frost until mid May.  :( :(
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »
Nice setup in raised beds.  :thumbup: I'm guessing you have a short growing season.

Actually Subvet our growing season is very long. I usually get my garden planted by the end of February since we rarely get frost here (70 miles East of San Francisco). I get tomatoes as late as end of September before I shut the garden down. In the winter, due to the earth's rotation, I don't get any sun on my raised beds so I don't plant a winter garden. The retaining wall planters do get full sun in the winter so I might plant some winter crops this year.
Char Broil SRG

Offline Subvet

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 10:22:15 PM »
That is a very nice growing season. When your original post said Northern California I wasn't thinking of being inland. Really like your drip system. As many beds as you have an abundance of fresh veggies should stock up your freezer for the winter months.

Where I live in Texas we have experienced a freeze into mid-April. Some friends took the gamble and planted in early February. It worked out as they already have some nice tomatoes on the vine. My season lasts until mid-October or so.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 04:00:16 AM »
I plant my early spring seeds(carrots, spinach, broccoli, lettuce) by the end of March.  Once they grow out (mid-May), I plant the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, corn, and maybe eggplant this year.  12' x16' bed, so I little bit of everything.  I use window planters for my herbs and garlic, to keep them from spreading and overtaking the garden.  It is only my wife and I so as to not waste I don't grow too much.  I usually can give the extra away to neighbors, except for the plum tomatoes.  I keep those and make sauce at least once a week, to jar and or freeze for winter time eating.  I add some pictures once everything gets going nicely by the end of May.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
I get most of my plants at my local nursery. I plant seeds only for pole beans, bush beans, peas, lettuce, and radish. I'm glad I've planted my garden cause we keep getting nothing but rain, rain, and more rain ... but after having a drought for 5 years I'm not complaining. The reservoirs are full and we still have a snow pack in the Sierra's at about 190% of normal. If this keeps up I'll have a hydroponics garden!!!!
Char Broil SRG

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
I turned the soil, added mulch and lime last fall.
Three weeks again added requred the needed 20-10-10 fertilizer and till one more time.
Sweetie planted two weeks ago some black eye peas, sugar snap peas and so on.

We like to trellis the garden to fore ease of maintenance and the added square feet of growing area.

We like to grow tomatoes upside down

Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
Very nice Art. That's quite a trellis setup. Do you guys tie off the trellis system new every year?
Char Broil SRG

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »
 Nice gardens...  Those beans remind me of my dad.  He had a massive garden , Every year he would plant several rows of string beans about 400' long.  After school my job was to put in post at the end of these rows, run two strands (upper and lower) of old discarded telephone wire for each row. (It better be tight )..   
 Then I  would go down the road and cut sticks for bean poles down both rows.  The only good thing about it  was I got to drive the truck and considering I was about 10 at this time that was a big deal.  I did that every year until I got an after school job.
 It wasn't really a bad job. Not compared to stringing and snapping the wash tubs of beans,cutting okra or the worst... shelling peas!
I seriously don't think my mom ever bought vegetables, chicken or eggs back then.
 I miss those days or at least my dad... 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
Very nice Art. That's quite a trellis setup. Do you guys tie off the trellis system new every year?
In the fall we take down the trellis and put up PCB tubes to hold the cover for our winter plant storage hot house.
Sweetie replaces the trellis net yearly.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:38:03 AM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline akruckus

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:02:28 AM »
I get most of my plants at my local nursery. I plant seeds only for pole beans, bush beans, peas, lettuce, and radish. I'm glad I've planted my garden cause we keep getting nothing but rain, rain, and more rain ... but after having a drought for 5 years I'm not complaining. The reservoirs are full and we still have a snow pack in the Sierra's at about 190% of normal. If this keeps up I'll have a hydroponics garden!!!!

I'm really happy Cali has the snowpack back.  Classic post El Nino pattern really slams the west coast with moisture.  I only plant seeds for the early spring veggies, corn, and cucumbers.  Looking forward to see your garden continue growing!  Pass some of that rain our way in the Mid Atlantic in a couple weeks.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 05:51:56 AM »
Too cold to plant up here in Ohio..got frost till middle of May..I plant after my birthday..20th of May   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Roget

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
I did go out yesterday and till my garden space in preparation for planting.
I don't plant a big garden anymore. Just a few tomatoes & peppers.

As a kid we planted a garden that was at least an acre in size. (I'm not exaggerating)
My dad would buy tomato seedlings by the hundreds.
Our basement contained several hundred jars of canned vegetables.

I would love to have a larger garden (not that large ;)), but I just don't have the space now.
Besides, my wife & I stopped canning several years ago.

If I have a tomato for my BLT & a few for fried green tomatoes, I am happy.
Although I would like to have the space for some okra, which I used to plant a lot of.

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline akruckus

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
In the fall we take down the trellis and put up PCB tubes to hold the cover for our winter plant storage hot house.
Sweetie replaces the trellis net yearly.

How well do those tomatoes grow upside down?  I have a friend that lives in an apartment that gets full sun all day and was thinking about using that to grow some tomatoes.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759