Author Topic: Brisket size limits  (Read 142 times)

Offline WaDoug

Brisket size limits
« Reply #-1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »
New to PBC. Got a 15 lb brisket, 20 inches long with a thick point. Plan to cook tomorrow. Will I be able to hang it as is, or do I need to plan to trim some off the end of the flat to keep it out of the fire. I don't really want to split the point and flat. Haven't measured the distance from the hanging rods and fire box, but will tomorrow. Maybe that will answer my question, but would appreciate any feedback about the PBC size limits for a brisket, more in terms of length than weight.

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Re: Brisket size limits
« on: April 21, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
New to PBC. Got a 15 lb brisket, 20 inches long with a thick point. Plan to cook tomorrow. Will I be able to hang it as is, or do I need to plan to trim some off the end of the flat to keep it out of the fire. I don't really want to split the point and flat. Haven't measured the distance from the hanging rods and fire box, but will tomorrow. Maybe that will answer my question, but would appreciate any feedback about the PBC size limits for a brisket, more in terms of length than weight.

Welcome.  I would use the grate for convenience.  The hooks can be inserted for helping moving the brisket from your kitchen to the PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
I would hang the brisket with the hooks in the flat  and let the point be down at the coals. If you are uncomfortable with hanging a brisket this big...use the rack and flip the brisket every two hours.....this way both sides get the flavor profile from the "Grease Fog"
Got Smoke?
Portable Kitchen ( for Pops)
Pit Barrel Cooker
Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
Ya know, come to think of it, in the PBC brisket video, Noah hangs a pretty big packer with no problems.  Why not shoot them a call and see what they say?
Got Smoke?
Portable Kitchen ( for Pops)
Pit Barrel Cooker
Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline WaDoug

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »
Thank you for your help and guidance. Brief update. I chained three hooks together on the point. Using the first hook, the brisket hit the coals, so I unhooked the first one and attached the second one to the rebar. That gave me enough clearance. I saw that done on Smokey Ribs BBQ and Southern Cuisine's You Tube channel when he did a brisket on the Pit Barrel. Put it on about a hour ago. So far so good.