Author Topic: Costco or Sam's  (Read 1578 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Costco or Sam's
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:06:40 AM »
Those that have belonged to both, which do you think has the better choice in meats?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Costco or Sam's
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »
Costco doesn't sell brisket but their spares, baby backs, salmon, fresh fish, steaks are fantastic.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:13 AM »
Haven't been a Sam's member for years (we have both here) but people who've moved to places without Costco say they miss it (although I don't know how much that has to do with meat). Costco in Hawaii sells prime beef cuts (tri tips, brisket packers, rib roasts, etc.) as well as both skinned & unskinned pork bellies so I'm a happy carnivore.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:05:05 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline slrpro02

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:46:24 AM »
The Costco near me often has Prime Brisket & other Prime grade meats . I have both Sam's & Costco I go to. The meats @ Sam's are rarely prime , however still very good. Sam's ribs usually have the skin remove from them.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »
I have access to both, Sam's seem to have an overall better selection of meat. Costco has more prime cuts. I use both
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:42 AM »
I buy my USDA Prime Briskets from Costco.  (Just bought 16 pounder two days ago for $3.69/lb)  I also buy all my steaks, baby backs, and rib roasts from Costco because I like their selection better.  The Sam's Club near me just doesn't have as good of quality and selection of meats as the Costco does.  I do buy my chicken wings from Sam's as my Costco does not carry them.

Overall, if I had to chose one, it would be Costco.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Pappymn

Costco or Sam's
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
Costco everyday of the week
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
I prefer Costco for meats.
The only meat I get from Sam's is the Australian rack of lamb. Very significant difference is taste.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline skidog

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:23:02 PM »
I was just in Costco the other day for the first time. Got a full prime packer for 2.99lb. But, I felt like the meat dept. didn't have as much to offer as the Sams by me. Could be the location i don't know. But the guy I was with has both Sams and Costco memberships, he said he likes the steaks better from Sams. But he also said he does get certain meat items from Costco. From what I saw, if I could afford it, I would have both memberships, I like some of the things they had at Costco and I like Sams for certain things. I would have the Costco for the 2.99lb Prime packers alone.
Now if we could get some places to carry tri tip and beef ribs around here it would be nice.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
I decided to go with Costco, primarily for the briskets. Stopped off and bought a prime packer, some babybacks and 8 lb pork belly. gonna have some fun this weekend.
Thanks for all the inputs.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
You made the right choice.  Sam's vs Costco at least in Montgomery, AL is a no-brainer.  Quality of products, cleanliness and employees is night & day.  Costco wins hands downs on everything.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Pappymn

Costco or Sam's
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
I was just in Costco the other day for the first time. Got a full prime packer for 2.99lb. But, I felt like the meat dept. didn't have as much to offer as the Sams by me. Could be the location i don't know. But the guy I was with has both Sams and Costco memberships, he said he likes the steaks better from Sams. But he also said he does get certain meat items from Costco. From what I saw, if I could afford it, I would have both memberships, I like some of the things they had at Costco and I like Sams for certain things. I would have the Costco for the 2.99lb Prime packers alone.
Now if we could get some places to carry tri tip and beef ribs around here it would be nice.
From your lips to God's ears on the tri-tip
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline skidog

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
Pappy, only place I've even seen mention Tri Tip is Schmidts meat market in Nicollet. Says they carry it in the meat case as a daily item, the way I understand it. Says it's seasoned though. Suppose you could ask for an unseasoned one.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline Pappymn

Costco or Sam's
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Pappy, only place I've even seen mention Tri Tip is Schmidts meat market in Nicollet. Says they carry it in the meat case as a daily item, the way I understand it. Says it's seasoned though. Suppose you could ask for an unseasoned one.
I got wind of that place from a FB friend. I think he said they were$8.99 a pound, so they are not giving them away. I hear the marinade is killer.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »
In my opinion TriTip is way overrated.  The local Costco used to have it all the time, I bought a few and they were very good but I would rather have a good Porterhouse, Ribeye or Brisket if I wanted beef.  Costco hasn't had them lately so I thought I would ask the butcher why.  He said unless they sell a pallet every week they'll use their limited space for something that sells.  In his opinion the TT was a hot item for a while due to the hype associated with it.  Once everyone tried it the demand died down.  Much like back in the day when Coors banquet beer couldn't be found East of the Mississippi it was bragging rights to have it, once it was common no one buys it.
Not saying TT isn't a bad thing, but there are plenty of cuts out there that are very good.  try a two inch thick sirloin.  I don't care for a thin sirloin but a thick one is like night & day in comparison.  TT is similar.  Just my unprofessional opinion. 
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4