Author Topic: Bourdains Pork Cutlets  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Bourdains Pork Cutlets
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
Bourdains Pork Cutlets

Jul 13 2017

I would porobably passed this over but it was one of Anthony Bourdains favorite foods.
He is one of my cooking heroes. It all sounded good except for the five spice powder
I don't care for it at all.

I got 3 pork boneless center cut pork chops from my butcher and pounded them out to
near a ¼ inch. I mixed up the marinade leaving out the five spice powder. I placed it in
a plastic bag and in the fridge 5 hours. I turned it several times.

When it was time to cook I drained and wiped the cutlets. I dredged in flour, eggs, and
Panko bread crumbs.

I heated two CS skillets with enough olive oil to cover the bottom on med heat for 5 minutes. I did them for about 5 minutes per side. They were too large for buns and hehad said to serve on bread. All I had was some cinnamon bread I toasted. Since the 5 spice powder had cinnamon in it I thought it might be good and it was!   

We had a mixed Romaine salad with fresh tomatoes and parmesan wafers. The wafers are something new and great in a salad. When my wife took a bite of her sandwich she said wow that's good! It was a good supper and will be fixing them again.

Smokin Don   

Anthony Bourdain's Fried Pork Chops
Author: Sydney
Prep time:  1 hour 15 mins
Cook time:  45 mins
Total time:  2 hours
Serves: serves 4

These are definitely better (and easier) than any fried pork chops you've ever tried before. Trust me.
Ingredients
4 boneless pork chop cutlets (about 6 ounces each)
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup Chinese rice wine vinegar
¼ cup black vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon five-spice powder I omitted this
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 large egg
½ cup all-purpose flour
1½ cups panko bread crumbs
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups peanut or canola oil, for frying (plus more as needed)
chili paste, for serving
toasted white bread, for serving (if desired)
Instructions
1. Place the chops between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them out to about ¼-inch thickness using a rolling pin (or forgo the plastic and use a meat mallet, if you have one). Place the pork chops in a sealable plastic bag.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, black vinegar, sesame oil, five-spice powder, and sugar. Pour the mixture over your pork chops, turning them over to make sure they're coated well, then press as much air out of the bag as you can and seal. Refrigerate for at least one hour, but it's best to leave them overnight.
3. When ready to fry, remove the pork from the marinade and brush off the garlic (it will just burn). Beat the egg in a shallow dish with about a tablespoon of water, and place the flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes (I like to use pie pans for this).
4. In a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan (like a cast iron pan), add your oil and heat to medium-high. The best way to test this is to take a pinch of bread crumbs and add them to the oil. If they sizzle immediately, your oil is ready.
5. While the oil heats up, dredge the pork chops in the flour, shaking off any extra, then dip them in the egg, then into the panko. Add to the frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown (be sure to turn them carefully). Remove the cooked pork chops from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel-lined plate or sheet pan for a minute or so. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes, for presentation, mostly, if you like.
6. To serve, place the pork chops between two slices of toasted white bread with some chili paste. This is obviously the most delicious way to enjoy these pork chops, but if you're trying to cut back on the carbs a bit, they are still totally mind-blowing on top of a salad or alongside some stir-fried greens.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:57:41 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Bourdains Pork Cutlets
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:57:57 PM »
That looks really good SD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

Re: Bourdains Pork Cutlets
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »
Nicely done
Love to cook and eat

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
That beats the heck out of my sliced salami, brie and cracker with a "splash" of cucumber vodka on the rocks for dinner tonight.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Bourdains Pork Cutlets
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
That beats the heck out of my sliced salami, brie and cracker with a "splash" of cucumber vodka on the rocks for dinner tonight.

Art
I'm not sure about that
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
That looks very good Don!
Um no butter on that cinnamon toast???