Author Topic: Loving Alabama  (Read 3126 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Loving Alabama
« Reply #-1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
We are in Alabama for 4 days on a preview trip. We might move here ( huntville area).  We are sitting in a bar and the ppl are way, way more friendlier than in cali.  Im loving this place so far.   It took us 14 hours to get here.  Im on my 2nd beer and 3rd crown.  Having a great time so far.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:07:09 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Loving Alabama
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
Glad you are having a good time in Bama Sparky :thumbup:

People are leaving California left and right these days.........even Tri Tip isn't keeping us here  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Loving Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »
They say we have Minnesota nice. But the south has us beat by a million miles. Everytime I am there the people are awesome.
No offense to CA, but I could never live there.... Not even for cheap tri-tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
we moved to Alabama 11 years ago from the Cincinnati area.  Every time we go back to visit family we're stunned by how rude we notice the people are.  Alabama has beautiful beaches in one end and the foothills of the smokey mountains in the other.  The only regret we have is that we didn't make the move 20 years earlier.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
Congrats Sparky!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »
While I am not in Alabama, I live in neighboring Georgia and I DO hate the heat and humidity but I love the scenery that we have and I like the mild Winter and 4 seasons. Granted Spring is "Summer Jr." but it's still wonderful. Fall is excellent in the South. Leaves changing colors in the Smokies is a near religious experience.

It's not all bubblegum and gumdrops though. There are still plenty of A-HOLES down here but I reckon they're just the people that move here from elsewhere, lol! :)

In reality, jerks are everywhere but there really is Southern Hospitality, I just don't see it as much as I used to. Ironically enough, my Wife and Daughter took a trip to Bob's home state of Ohio, in the Columbus area, and LOVED it! She said people were very nice and she loved the town. She said she was amazed at the lack of hills, mostly flat land and no suburbs. She said it's just land, lots of land and then BOOM! You're in the big city, lol.

Back on track, good luck with the move should you make it. I think you'll enjoy the new start in a beautiful part of the country. I am biased of course :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
Yep, Huntsville is a great place!   Sure the heat can be a little rough (been here all my life) so not sure how to judge against other states.

Really, though it is a great city to live in. 

Housing is affordible compaired to other places, food and gas ain't bad either  :thumbup:   

It would be great if y'all moved here ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »
Moved to Huntsville from Los Angeles in 2000 and never regretted a minute. Can't overstate the difference in hospitality, politeness, etc. And if they are rude (seldom) it is usually a Damn Yankee. ( for those that don't know - A yankee is someone other than a southerner, a damn yankee is a yankee that moved to the south. -like me)
Welcome Sparky - you'll enjoy.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
Moved to Huntsville from Los Angeles in 2000 and never regretted a minute. Can't overstate the difference in hospitality, politeness, etc. And if they are rude (seldom) it is usually a Damn Yankee. ( for those that don't know - A yankee is someone other than a southerner, a damn yankee is a yankee that moved to the south. -like me)
Welcome Sparky - you'll enjoy.
Actually, a damn yankee is a person who moves South and refuses to go back north  ;)

My late father fit that one..   I myself was born and raised here  :D :D :D 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
LOL! I know plenty of Damn Yankees! I have a buddy of mine from Chicago and I, at one point, thought he was moving back. I had misunderstood a Facebook post of his. When I asked him about it he said "Hell no I'm not going back to Chicago! Why would I want to live through those miserable winters and go back to shoveling snow?" LOL!

It's okay to be a Damn Yankee in my book :) I can't blame them!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
LOL! I know plenty of Damn Yankees! I have a buddy of mine from Chicago and I, at one point, thought he was moving back. I had misunderstood a Facebook post of his. When I asked him about it he said "Hell no I'm not going back to Chicago! Why would I want to live through those miserable winters and go back to shoveling snow?" LOL!

It's okay to be a Damn Yankee in my book :) I can't blame them!
I don't blame them just wish some of them would take the northern additude out of their brain cells and replace it with Southern thoughts  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »
Took a tour of Huntsville today.  Love it.  No trash on the side of the roads, no homeless ppl that I seen (lots of them in sacramento), ppl are super friendly here.  Went to big bob Gibson's for lunch today.  What a treat for me.  It was on my bucket list.  I had the spares, brisket and pulled pork.  For all the ribs I have cooked in my life these ones at big Bob's were 10 times better than mine.  Brisket was fantastic.  Pulled pork was ok at best.  The ribs.  Oh man they were good.  They had this pie there called lemon ice box.  I had piece and brought two more pieces back to the hotel (also brought ribs back too).  Having a great time.  I went down to the bar in the hotel and some guy I never met asked if he could sit down next to me.  Sure why not.  Next thing I know he bought me two crowns royal.  My wife had to come down and get me.  Lol.  This whole move is up to my wife but it's looking good.  Going to Whitts for lunch tomorrow then to the greenbrier with Tommy for dinner.  The humidity sucks.  This is a great place.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:12:42 PM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
Took a tour of Huntsville today.  Love it.  No trash on the side of the roads, no homeless ppl that I seen (lots of them in sacramento), ppl are super friendly here.  Went to big bob Gibson's for lunch today.  What a treat for me.  It was on my bucket list.  I had the spares, brisket and pulled pork.  For all the ribs I have cooked in my life these ones at big Bob's were 10 times better than mine.  Brisket was fantastic.  Pulled pork was ok at best.  The ribs.  Oh man they were good.  They had this pie there called lemon ice box.  I had piece and brought two more pieces back to the hotel (also brought ribs back too).  Having a great time.  I went down to the bar in the hotel and done guy I never met asked if he could sit down next to me.  Sure why not.  Next thing I know he bought me two crowns royal.  My wife had to come down and get me.  Lol.  This whole move is up to my wife but it's looking good.  Going to Whitts for lunch tomorrow then to the greenbrier with Tommy for dinner.  The humidity sucks.  This is a great place.
Can't wait Sparky!  been looking forward to this for sometime now...

Can't wait till you come out to the Bomm-A Rossa then yopu will see the best part of Madison county  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Did I mention beer?  We have Kimmie's fridge full!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
I will take the heat and humidity in the South over the 10 month summers we have here in Cali.

Hey Spark, have you been to any stores yet? Just wondering if you can notice the lower cost of living the South has to offer????
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Loving Alabama
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
I think sparky needs to post some pics on this road trip
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109