Author Topic: Boneless Butt Capacity?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline richf918

Boneless Butt Capacity?
« Reply #-1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
I have (2) 7.5# boneless butts to cook, what are the thoughts on doing them together? how much more time should I prepare for?
I have seen some questions on the capacity of The PBC and possibly overloading
Great forum and thank you to all who participate

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Boneless Butt Capacity?
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
2 pork butts will not be a problem. You can stagger em when you hang them or just set them on the cooking grate.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline richf918

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
Thanks Smoke, any thoughts how much more time I should prepare for?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
Go off of Noahs video and add maybe an hour. Leave your butts out a while so they wont be cold and that will help with your cooking time.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
I had one 8# take 10 hours
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »
Friday I did 4 7 pounders for a graduation party on Saturday.  Full load of charcoal.  Hit 165 in 6 hours. Foiled them and finished in over till 205. Pulled perfectly.  The PBC is a horse!

[attachment removed after 6 months]

Offline richf918

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Awesome! that's a whole Lotta meat
Thanks for sharing, Ive been hesitant to load up my PBC but I can see I still have a lot more room to go

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
Fantastic!! Glad it was a success :thumbup:

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 08:20:02 PM »
I've owned the PBC for about three years and I bet for parties, reunions, graduations and even parties for our grandsons kindergarten, I bet I've put close to a half a ton of food through this thing. And it's all been great once you figure out the five simple rules.

1.  Before any cook, always watch the videos and do just what they say!
2.  Always bring your product to room temp before putting on the PBC.
3.  Never try to cook wet meat.  The outside might seem dry but there is plenty of juice in there.
4.  Put you product in, close the lid and let the dynamics of the PBC  do its thing. 
5.  You probably don't need to be reminded but God made beer for a reason.

I've read all kinds of stories about folks getting frustrated and putting tin foil between the lid, putting bricks on the top, messing with the choke, cracking the lid.  The temp will get there in time.  Just probe your product and that's the temp that matters.

I think the biggest problem people have with the PBC is that they read that someone "finished ribs in 3 hours" or cooked a "packer in 6 hours" and we think it's a time competition.  That's nuts.

So If you ever get that feeling....remember rule #6!  Enjoy and thanks Noah for a great product!

ps.  Kindergarteners love sucking on ribs!

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
Sorry rule 5!

Offline richf918

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
Great advice thank you and lol I was looking for rule#6

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 07:16:29 AM »
Apologies Rich again as it is a rule that I apply to many aspects of life!  Enjoy!

Offline Kona

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
I've owned the PBC for about three years and I bet for parties, reunions, graduations and even parties for our grandsons kindergarten, I bet I've put close to a half a ton of food through this thing. And it's all been great once you figure out the five simple rules.

1.  Before any cook, always watch the videos and do just what they say!
2.  Always bring your product to room temp before putting on the PBC.
3.  Never try to cook wet meat.  The outside might seem dry but there is plenty of juice in there.
4.  Put you product in, close the lid and let the dynamics of the PBC  do its thing. 
5.  You probably don't need to be reminded but God made beer for a reason.

I've read all kinds of stories about folks getting frustrated and putting tin foil between the lid, putting bricks on the top, messing with the choke, cracking the lid.  The temp will get there in time.  Just probe your product and that's the temp that matters.

I think the biggest problem people have with the PBC is that they read that someone "finished ribs in 3 hours" or cooked a "packer in 6 hours" and we think it's a time competition.  That's nuts.

So If you ever get that feeling....remember rule #6!  Enjoy and thanks Noah for a great product!

ps.  Kindergarteners love sucking on ribs!

I belong to a PBC group over and facebook and we recently had the "room temperature" meat discussion and most preferred straight from the fridge to the PBC to avoid any bacteria issues. Cook results have been good. I've done both ways as well and have come out great
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
I tried the cold route at first but settled on the room temp approach.  Guess that's the beauty of the PBC....we all have our successes doing our own thing!   Thanks for your comment. 

Offline Suttoncharles

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
@papabob

I am a new member to the forum (Intro just posted). I am scheduled to cook 4 butts tonight/tomorrow for a party. They are 8 ish pounders. I have been cooking on the PBC for over a year but I have not put that much meat in at once. I was interested in reading your notes about the 4 7 pound butts. I was planning on getting them to the 160 range then finishing in the oven as you have done. I am curious how long the second part of the cook took? I am trying to figure out how much sleep i will get or not get and how much cooking beer I will need.

I appreciate the feedback
Thanks