Author Topic: Chicken on the Traeger  (Read 1186 times)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
Chicken on the Traeger
« Reply #-1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:53:50 PM »
Tried chicken thighs tonight.  The skin came out rubbery, cooked at 375 for about an hour.  Pulled it at 170 internal temp.  I read in the cook book that came with it after i started, that they recommend skin side.  So I flipped it when it was about half way through.  The end results were good, the kids loved it.  One is a picky eater, and wanted seconds.  She said it was way better than her mom's chicken.  I used the Traeger rub, I felt it was a little on salty side for me.  I also toasted some bread after I pulled the chicken.  That was a mixed bag of results.  It was not bad, but not great.  Tasted kinda like chicken.  There was a ton of drippings on the tray from the thighs though.  It worked great when I did it with the burgers and steaks.  The pics are not great, some of the fuzziness is from heat waves and some is my phone is 6yrs old.  Tips and tricks for the skin are appreciated.  Thanks for looking   Dave
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline rwalters

Chicken on the Traeger
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »
Cook them at 425° next time. Rub them with mayo too. Then apply the rub. And lastly, take the internal temp of the thighs up to 185°. I think you'll be happy.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken on the Traeger
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
Any self respecting pellet grill owner should own a pair of grill grates. They are one of our beloved forum sponsors. Check them out.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »
Try smoking them for 45 minutes to an hour at about 180º-200ºF (smoke setting) before increasing the pit temp to 400º-425ºF (about 45 minutes). Cook them to an internal temp of 180º-185ºF.  Chicken thighs and drumsticks are very forgiving to higher internal temps. Skin will be crispy and meat will be delicious!

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »
Those look great.  I will give those suggestions a try.  Thanks for the help.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Pappymn

Chicken on the Traeger
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »
Great suggestions. I learned as well. Mayo does work really well though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer