Author Topic: Just a bit lazy  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Roget

Just a bit lazy
« Reply #-1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
For any of you fine gentlemen who have (or have experience with) a Green Mountain pellet smoker (the Davey Crockett in particular), I would like your opinion as to what temperature setting gives you the best smoke.
I'm sure some of you can help me save a lot of experimenting with temps, as I have absolutely no experience with a pellet smoker.

Also, please advise me your opinion on the perfect temperature to pull a pork belly.

Many thanks for any & all advice & any other comments.  :)

disclaimer:  This post is not meant to be restricted to only GMG users. I would welcome advice from anyone.  :) :)
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Just a bit lazy
« on: December 12, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
No experience with GMG. I looked them over - but they had a history of..."issues" when I was shopping. (Those have been addressed as best as I know)I feel very lucky that I spent some money and bought heavier duty tho. MAK has a smoke setting that will compete with any stick burner. Smoke is produced at lower temps - due to burn -inefficiency.I think the MAK uses a broad band hysteresis allowing the temps to swing 165F-and 180F ( If I remember correctly) The higher the temp, the more complete/efficient the combustion..and less smoke. More Smoke output is something that many pellet grill brands struggle with, and gives rise to the product line from Amazen Smoker - which you can use easily in any grill.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:30:12 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:06:53 PM »
For any of you fine gentlemen who have (or have experience with) a Green Mountain pellet smoker (the Davey Crockett in particular), I would like your opinion as to what temperature setting gives you the best smoke.
I'm sure some of you can help me save a lot of experimenting with temps, as I have absolutely no experience with a pellet smoker.

Also, please advise me your opinion on the perfect temperature to pull a pork belly.

disclaimer:  This post is not meant to be restricted to only GMG users. I would welcome advice from anyone.  :) :)
Well, only have a few cooks under my belt without being infrared cooks.   But when I cooked with the RecTec and the pellet SRG I set the temp to no more than 230 and get good results.    Kimmie loves the SRG cooks more because of the bark so I do very little pellet grill butts, but found this works well

I pull the butts off at 200 to 205 just like SRG cooks (but 205 infrared for sure)  Hope this helps   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »

I have found with my Grid Iron the best temp to get lots of smoke to start with is between 165 and 180. Depending what I am cooking I will let it run for a few hours at these temperatures then kick it up to the temperature I normally cook with.

As far as pork belly is concerned, I have cooked pork belly burnt ends in the pellet grill and a 5 pound pork belly in my Weber kettle. I cooked the 5 pounder like I do a pork butt. I ended up pulling it at 198 when it was probe tender. Here is the video I made of that cook: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20673.msg267128#msg267128

What I have come to understand, reading the Facebook group (Green Mountain Grills) that you can smoke anywhere between 150 and 200 and get good smoke. It will pour a lot of smoke out of the Davy Crockett at 150. I am waiting for my Davy Crockett to get here which is scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. Anxiously waiting to check it out.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »
In all fairness Roget.....
I should have also said that smoke and the amount of it needed is ver subjective. I might less....you might like more. No wrong answer...just whatever you like.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »
You should get plenty of smoke at your lower settings. Toss a pork butt in there and set it for 225 and let her rip.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »
Thanks for you help fellas.
That info should give me a benchmark to work from.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner