Author Topic: Camp Chef Pellet Grill  (Read 42479 times)

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Camp Chef Pellet Grill / Help!,,
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
Ok,,, love the review, I'm one the fence not sure which way to go.  I know I want to purchase a pellet grill, I have read your review several times, googled and tubed it, watched everything I could and I thought that the Camp Chef was the way to go.  I went to Gander Mountain today to look and touch it,,, I'm not sure which model it was it had the smoke stack on the back and the clean out tool but the lid was so thin that I could flex it right and left with one hand, was not impressed.  Maybe this was the old one on the floor, if it was I don't want it, I can send pics although they look exactly like the ones that are posted.  Obviously I have studied all,  the MAK two star would be the first choice, Rec Tech would be second and I thought Camp Chef would be the perfect mid range learn to pellet grill on, now I'm not so sure... Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Camp Chef Pellet Grill
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
Tom,  go to outdoorcooking.com and get this model   http://www.outdoorcooking.com/products/grills/wood-pellet-grills/camp-chef-pellet-grill-smoker-deluxe.html

this is the one I have...and the lid is more than beefy enough in the ss version.  You just can't beat the features for the price. Ash clean out and pellet hopper clean out. A miser when it comes to pellet usage. At this price point the Camp Chef is easily the most dependable of all the offerings.

Heck, use it for a couple of years and if the pellet bug bites you.......go get a Mak........of course the grub will taste the same off of either.

I have performance tested Traeger, GMG (Bowie and Boone) Yoder YS-480, Rec Tec and Camp Chefs initial offering. All the food is so good off of them.

Get the Camp Chef. You will save some coin and have an awesome cooker........we would love to see your videos using it  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
Tom,  go to outdoorcooking.com and get this model   http://www.outdoorcooking.com/products/grills/wood-pellet-grills/camp-chef-pellet-grill-smoker-deluxe.html

this is the one I have...and the lid is more than beefy enough in the ss version.  You just can't beat the features for the price. Ash clean out and pellet hopper clean out. A miser when it comes to pellet usage. At this price point the Camp Chef is easily the most dependable of all the offerings.

Heck, use it for a couple of years and if the pellet bug bites you.......go get a Mak........of course the grub will taste the same off of either.

I have performance tested Traeger, GMG (Bowie and Boone) Yoder YS-480, Rec Tec and Camp Chefs initial offering. All the food is so good off of them.

Get the Camp Chef. You will save some coin and have an awesome cooker........we would love to see your videos using it  :)

Thanks for the advice!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
Tonight, I made another attempt to download the PDF version of the manual for my PG24LTD; link is still causing a 403 error.  However, I stumbled across something new Smoker sear box http://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html and my "buy now" finger is itching because my wife and I will be empty nesters this fall.

A bit pricy at $250, but then again... :P
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 10:17:48 PM »
Tonight, I made another attempt to download the PDF version of the manual for my PG24LTD; link is still causing a 403 error.  However, I stumbled across something new Smoker sear box http://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html and my "buy now" finger is itching because my wife and I will be empty nesters this fall.

A bit pricy at $250, but then again... :P

If it is just you and the misses and if you are cramped for space, that sear box is a nice addition  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Aristocob

• Life is too short to eat stale PEZ
    • Aristocob
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:45 PM »
Thank you so much for this thorough review and write-up! I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of this smoker and your review lead me to this forum. Can't wait to replicate your tests.  Scott
I'm an avid woodworker, a doting G-Pa of 6+, a smoker of meats and corn cob pipes.  (Not necessarily in that order) I am a corporate trainer in the woodworking industry and my bride and I have an eCommerce business that acts as an outlet for our entrepreneurism. I'm "aristocob" on most social media.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
Thank you so much for this thorough review and write-up! I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of this smoker and your review lead me to this forum. Can't wait to replicate your tests.  Scott

I am both honored and humbled. I do my reviews straight down the middle. I try to really give everyone the heads up and be fair and honest. The Camp Chef pellet grill is a solid performer with many new features at a price that wont keep you up at night wondering "What did I just do?!!  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Aristocob

• Life is too short to eat stale PEZ
    • Aristocob
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
So it was a fun weekend at the Markwood house.  I shot and posted a video on Youtube of the unboxing, assembly and testing of my new Camp Chef SmokePro DLX but I'm not yet approved to share it here. What I can tell you is that it was a lot of fun and this "grill" is one slick back yard appliance.

What amazed me most was how well it hovered near the temperature settings.  I replicated smokeasaurus' test with the Pillsbury Grands, though we opted for the "Flaky Layers" version.  We also cooked bacon, wings and leg quarters that were spectacular!  My bride commented on the bacon asking me how I was able to keep them so flat and all I could say was that's how they came out.  Keen-eyed observers will also note that the drip pan is already showing signs of rust. That came from a 30 minute downpour that came after shutdown but before the cover went on.  No doubt I'll be adding foil to this part in the future. 

I was a little bummed by some unwelcome body mods that were provided by FedEx,  but what do you expect when the box is so poorly labeled which end is up. (sarcasm)

I look forward to putting some serious meat through her, but from what I've seen so far she is one amazing cook!

I'm an avid woodworker, a doting G-Pa of 6+, a smoker of meats and corn cob pipes.  (Not necessarily in that order) I am a corporate trainer in the woodworking industry and my bride and I have an eCommerce business that acts as an outlet for our entrepreneurism. I'm "aristocob" on most social media.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
Glad you like your new Camp Chef. You are in for some fun. 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven