Author Topic: Need a gas grill. What to get?  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Need a gas grill. What to get?
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
The side burner.....is for Yankee Boston Baked beans ;D I have a small burner that I use when I tailgate as my hitch grill does not have one...But on my large grill is use it for corn, beans, clams or a sauce or two.....plus a power outage......I guess it is what you grew up with,,,,,,,

My feeling is the way technology is today having a grill last twenty years may not be a good thing......just a thought.

I had a Fiesta grill I bought at K-mart that lasted for over ten years. It was a good size grill with side burner ($99.00 end of season).  It had a couple of cold spots but once I learned them I used them in my grilling/cooking so it was not a problem....cooked as well as my Genesis that lasted five years.  I could have fixed it again but it was time for a change I wanted a side table & four burners......In fact Fiesta sent me a new burner & heat shield after the first five years for free Go figure.

Could it have been a little hotter yes but the Genesis was no hotter

Yes I have cooked beans on the grill itself but there are times I want them on the side burner.

But as they say no Chef as been fired for buying a Genesis.......Funny thing my favorite group of all time is Genesis....over 90 concerts LOL......As of today I like the sears very much we will see all I ask is five years for $200.00
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
There is that.  The first grill I got was a$99 home depot one that lasted 5+ years.  It worked but had issues.  Hot spots temp... But since hanging out here I want better.  It will live on the back porch and weather isn't the best in Washington.  Plus living on the river it seems to take a little more of a beating. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
I bought a genesis (1990s era) on craigslist for under $100, added grill grates and replaced the burners (christmas gift) that were the pre 2002 burner tube style.  Thing works great, easy to use.  This is my first horizontal burner bars and it takes a little getting used to but it works great for those burgers and quick meals, easy to use.  My wife is a mircowave pro (I am anti microwave, pan fry and toaster oven all day, but I digress)and she found it easy to use.

Check craigslist.  A lot of junk but you can find some good deals from time to time.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
I've been buying old gas grills, rehabbing them & either keeping them or selling to friends for what I've got in them.
This is a recent source of entertainment , definitely not for profit.
I've gotten a master forge , a charbroil , 2 old weber Genesis ( oldest 17 y/o) , 2 weber Q's & a weber spirit (16 )
I've learned a few things .
A failing firebox is a terminal event! Not worth trying to jury rig burners & manifold!
Frames go bad ( old webers the back of the frame has a design flaw)
All flavorizer bars ( heat shields) eventually fail even SS ???
Porcelain coated grates eventually fail although last longer than the heat shield.
In affordable gas grills cast aluminum firebox is the best option.
Stainless body vs. porceloin coated body makes minimal difference.
Weber parts , both factory & aftermarket are easy to find even for 20 year old grills
Aluminum baking pans are useful for making grease pans & a lot cheaper than factory part!
  So these recommendations have nothing to do with cooking ability just longevity & ease of repair.
Under $500
Weber Q series , these are so simple to work on almost no parts , cast aluminum body, the grate is the heat shield , the frame is plastic & can be replaced for $80! My new used q320 will be around for my great grandchildren to use !
Weber spirit series & several models of Broil King /Mate  run below $500 easy to repair & parts easily available !
$500 - $1000 weber Genesis series ( the porceloin enamel will last as long as the stainless) again Broil King has several models and may offer a little more bang for the buck.
Do NOT buy the various store brands sold at HD, Lowes or Sam's!
There are dozens on Craig list 3-5 years old selling for under $100 & some simply for hall off! The Mastor Forge I got had hidden firebox damage even though only 3 years old!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »
2002 Weber Genesis
2001 Weber Genesis

1999 Weber Genesis

1995 broil king portable grill

1999 Weber spirit 500

2010 Weber Q 320

2008 Weber q220

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle

Offline RAD

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 06:29:42 PM »

Planned on 3 burner.  Don't think I would use the side burner so just want the two shelves.  Is the quality that much better on the geniuses vs spirit?  Mostly be used for those quick cooks and something the wife can easily use. Burgers and chicken.

Agreed. Never understood the need for a side burner.
I blackened some grouper and shrimp on side burner using my CI last night so I didn't smoke up the house.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
LA's rehabs are better than new units!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline LostArrow

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
Last but not least, I bought a 2011 Weber Genesis S330 this spring ( what got me interested) for $350
It's the best cooking gas grill I've ever used !
I've never had a side burner before but use this for boiling peanuts, shrimp, frying fish, & lighting charcoal
Right now I have these 3 on deck & in order to get another 1 has to go

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 06:53:04 PM »
You can't beat the Weber gas grills. If I was looking for one I would opt for the Genesis and get the grill grates. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
now I have to convince the wife that's what she wants.  Our just but and not tell here.  Something I have learned from you all
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 06:01:10 AM »
Was limited for space where I currently call home so the Weber Spirit is what I got. Solid built unit cooks well, does have some hot and cold spots but most gas grills do.  Also purchased the Char Broil Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill. The grill portion is infrared so no flare ups and you can add smoke by using the smoker box.  If your looking for an everyday after work just you and the family you can't go wrong with the SRG sometimes you can pick them up on sale the one I got was $150.00. Considering what it can do I would opt for the SRG over the Weber.  But that's just me.  I'm sure whatever you pick it will be just fine.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »
LA's rehabs are better than new units!

For sure!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #