Author Topic: Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment  (Read 4880 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment
« Reply #-1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:47:14 AM »
By now you've probably seen that some manufacturers are using a "more natural" approach to curing meats. Instead of using synthetic sodium Nitrates/Nitrites they're using celery juice or celery juice powder. These products are often labeled as, "No Nitrates or Nitrites Added."

Worth reading: "The 'no-nitrites-added' hoax" by Michael Ruhlman.

Disclaimer - The USDA currently does NOT recognize celery-based nitrates as an effective means of curing meats. So if you decide to try this at home, PLEASE be smart about safe food handling procedures!

Because this is such a tightly held trade practice, it took me almost a year of research to find all the available data!

So, how does this work?  Well, celery contains high amounts of Nitrate which can break down into nitrite which has meat curing properties.

Why do we even need Nitrites to cure meat?  They allow meats to retain a pink color and develop the deep flavor flavor that we associate with cured meats. And, more importantly, it can kill the bacteria responsible for Botulism.

Celery juice, in addition to nitrates, also has a very mild flavor and pale color that won't adversly affect the flavor or color of the meat product.

How much celery juice is needed? Ahhh, That's where things get unclear, because NOBODY seems to want to share this info, so here's what I learned.

Nitrate levels in celery can vary, so without testing you simply do NOT know for sure. But, based on research done in 2006, "...commercially available Celery juice contained 2,114 ppm (parts per million) of nitrate." (Sebranek & Bacus, Meat Science | Vol 77 (2007) Pgs 141)

USDA regulations state that nitrite levels between 120 - to a maximum 156 ppm are to be used.

Based on those numbers, I calculated that 1 liquid oz. of celery juice per pound of meat should yield approximately 129 ppm nitrate.

Allright, we've got our info. Now.... On with the experiment!

Mini Smoked Italian Sausages

These were for a Church brunch the following day.

Here's 5 oz of freshly extruded celery juice and the seasonings for five pounds of Italian sausage.

I let the sausages hang at room temperature for an hour or so to allow the nitrate to  break down into meat curing nitrite and allow the casings to dry a little. I then applied a 30 minute cold smoke

Note: As a control test, four sausages were cooked in my oven to ensure that the pink color was from the nitrates in the celery juice, and not a smoke ring reaction.

Here are the sausages, ready to be hot-smoked.

Done!  Pulled off when they reached an I.T. of 152 -154°, then immersed in an ice water bath to chill as quickly as possible.

Dried off & cut into the mini links.

The next morning we threw them into a crock pot set on high & fully cooked them before being served.

The results were a nice uniform color all the way through, proving that they are indeed CURED!

Final Thoughts:

If the idea of a "more natural" form of nitrate appeals to you then feel free to use this info as a guide.  HOWEVER, be aware that without testing you simply do NOT know for sure how much Nitrate is present in the celery juice. Powdered Celery Juice has the exact same issues. Until more conclusive testing is done, I think I would:

1) Only trust celery-cured sausage products if hot-smoked in a timely manner and fully cooked to a minimum temp of 165°, which is what the USDA recommends anyway.

or...

2) Just stick with Cure #1, so you know exactly how much nitrite you're getting!

More info:

http://www.meatscience.org/page.aspx?id=403

http://www.vet.unipi.it/system/files/Cured%20meat%20products%20without%20direct%20addition%20of%20nitrate%20or%20nitrite.pdf
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:40:05 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
Re: Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:59:28 AM »
Pretty interesting - and good looking sausages.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:20:09 AM »
Very good write up, thanks for sharing your experiment.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Nice tutorial there Cliff.

Did you get a weird soapy smell when done?  I did using the CJP and tossed em.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
Nice tutorial there Cliff.

Did you get a weird soapy smell when done?  I did using the CJP and tossed em.

Thanks Rick!  No weird smells at all using the fresh celery juice.  In fact, had I not known I used celery juice, I wouldn't have been able to tell any difference from my regular cured smoked sausages. I was really quite happy with the results. The next day at the church brunch, they sure disappeared quickly.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Great post and thanks for the detailed explanation.
Love to cook and eat

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
Thanks for posting this Cliff! Very informative and since I am still learning the basics on curing I will
stick to what I know that works, cure #1 or if I am out MTQ. (At least until all the MTQ is gone)  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
Great experiment, wish I could have been a part of it and taste tested those sausages.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this Cliff! Very informative and since I am still learning the basics on curing I will
stick to what I know that works, cure #1 or if I am out MTQ. (At least until all the MTQ is gone)  ;)

One thing to note about Morton Tender Quick and Cure No#1. They are not a "1-for- 1 " exchange . Watch the directions on tender quick for the difference. And...Morton Tender Quick contains ethylene glycol.
That may - or may not matter to each person.  For me - part of my motivation in making my own sausages and jerkies -is to know what is in my food - and to  eliminate things that I can't spell, or understand their need in my food. Anti-freeze happens to be in that last category for me. ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

One thing to note about Morton Tender Quick and Cure No#1. They are not a "1-for- 1 " exchange . Watch the directions on tender quick for the difference. And...Morton Tender Quick contains ethylene glycol.
That may - or may not matter to each person.  For me - part of my motivation in making my own sausages and jerkies -is to know what is in my food - and to  eliminate things that I can't spell, or understand their need in my food. Anti-freeze happens to be in that last category for me. ;) ;D

I knew that they were not 1 for 1 tee, but i did NOT know about the ethylene glycol! But if you read the ingredients on the MTQ bag it says "propylene glycol" which is not antifreeze. Either way I
won't be using the MTQ anymore. But interesting enough doing a little research on the propylene glycol it is also used to prevent caking in a lot of cures and rubs. Guess I need to pay more attention to what ingredients I am getting when I purchase some rubs.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:04 AM »
Great post for sausage makers Cliff! As for the propylene glycol I found this, "Propylene Glycol is a form of mineral oil, an alcohol produced by fermentation of yeast and carbohydrates. This gives it the designation of carbohydrate when used in foods." This leads me to think food items that has carbohydrates as an ingredient could be propylene glycol.
Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »
Great post Cliff, I need to learn about this cause come summer time I will be using the new grinder and making sausage
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »
I knew that they were not 1 for 1 tee, but i did NOT know about the ethylene glycol! But if you read the ingredients on the MTQ bag it says "propylene glycol" which is not antifreeze. Either way I
won't be using the MTQ anymore. But interesting enough doing a little research on the propylene glycol it is also used to prevent caking in a lot of cures and rubs. Guess I need to pay more attention to what ingredients I am getting when I purchase some rubs.
My mistake Mike -  I did  not remember the name correctly.  I don't use anti-caking agents - so I learned something form you!

Great post for sausage makers Cliff! As for the propylene glycol I found this, "Propylene Glycol is a form of mineral oil, an alcohol produced by fermentation of yeast and carbohydrates. This gives it the designation of carbohydrate when used in foods." This leads me to think food items that has carbohydrates as an ingredient could be propylene glycol.
Don

Good info Don!....I still would not choose to put put propylene glycol in my food....Funny - I will almost anything that is a naturally occurring food item ( except blood - or blood containing sausages and the like)

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:13:55 PM »
Excellent info VERY much appreciated.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.