Author Topic: Fantasy Football Draft cook  (Read 732 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Fantasy Football Draft cook
« Reply #-1 on: September 05, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
4th year hosting fantasy football, pretty much the only time I make brisket as requested.  11 guys 13 pound brisket, no leftovers.  Also had a 6 pound chicken, and 6 pounds of pork loin I roasted and had sliced thin for hot roast pork and broccoli rabe.  Only had 1 leg left of chicken, and about 2 pounds of pork left over.

The run down on everything is as follows:

Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper as a dry rub, I added some finely mined garlic on top, and put 3 cloves of garlic (6 total piece) in each of the 3 pound sections.  I let that sit overnight before roasting in the convection oven at 300 (with convection it dropped to 275F).  Once the IT reached 150, I killed the heat and let it rest in the oven for 15 minutes before pulling it and tenting it loosely with foil, and allowing it to rest for 2 hours.  I wrapped it up tight in plastic to take back to the butcher for them to slice it down the next day.  With the roasting pan I drained the juices, and added some oil to the bottom of the pan and put it on the burner to sweat some small diced onion with some of the rub.  I added some water to scrape up the bits on the bottom and added the juices I reserved, and let its simmer for about 30 minutes. I jarred and saved it for the next day. I steamed the broccoli rabe, and then the next day before serving it I sauteed it in garlic oil and red pepper flake.

Pork rubbed up and left in fridge uncovered

Making the Jus

The brisket was 13 pound choice brisket from the butcher, I trimmed it as it was going on my PBC and didn't want too much fat dripping onto the coals. I hit it with some butcher blend from Sweet Lou's Spices, and let it hang in the fridge overnight.  I woke up the next morning pulled the brisket and placed the hooks in it.  I set up the PBC and lit it with the chimney method, waited 11 minutes instead of the 12 because it was the rapid start smaller chimney and it was a blazin! Once I dumped the coals I hung the brisket (623a), which ended up touching a couple coals at the bottom.  I tried to see if I could cook it without wrapping, but by 130 I was at 168 (past the stall), but I needed to pull it by 4-430 so it could rest.  I wrapped it in butcher paper and checked it again at 230, 330, 345, 4, and pulled it at 415 when the thermometer went in like butter.  the flat ended up being about 205, and the point was 208.  Popped it in the cooler and had planned to slice it down by 6, but waited until people showed up so it didn't get sliced until 615, so a solid 2 hours of rest.  Results speak for themself, as it was the best one I've cooked.  I like the challenge of the offset, but can't argue with the results of the PBC.

Rubbed up and left in fridge overnight.

6 hours in

9.5-10 hours, plus 2 hour rest

The chicken I dry brined overnight, before adding a smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and black pepper  before cooking it on my Weber kettle.  I used the semi snake method, I say semi because I only went around 1/4 of the charcoal grate, with 1 chunk of cherry wood in the middle, and some cherry wood chips sprinkled on top.I lit one end with a starter cube, and let it ride.  Had some good clean burning looking blue smoke, and I checked in on it at the hour mark.  It was just shy of 130, so I waited another 20 minutes or so sauced it with some homemade sauce with hot honey in it, and just under 2 hours it was done.  People said it was the best chicken I've made.  I think I've done better for them, but I'll take the complement.

Last picture is the whole spread from the night, not including chips, dip, and cookies and cupcakes my wife made. Pictured and not shown being cooked were broccoli rabe, and 2 cans of bush's beans with 1 can of black beans added.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Fantasy Football Draft cook
« on: September 05, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
Heck with the draft part send me the addy so I can dive in on the grub!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:23:18 PM »
I hope your draft went good. I got saquon barkley!!!!!
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
Everything looks great!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado