Author Topic: Traeger PTG modified with Auber SYL-2372 PID Controller (part 1)  (Read 6450 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Traeger PTG modified with Auber SYL-2372 PID Controller (part 1)
« Reply #-1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Bought a Traeger PTG for the RV with high hopes of being able to take pellet smoking-grilling on the road.  From day one I experienced flame out issues with temperatures under 300ºF and massive temperature swings when the unit stays lit.

Before anyone asks ... I ran many tests using the standard Traeger 3 position switch, the Ortech TR-100, and Traeger digital controller.  Worked closely with Ortech and Traeger tech support but was unable to rectify my issues.

Researched PID solutions on forums and other sources and decided that I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by installing an Auber SYL-2372 PID in my PTG.  Using the standard 3-position switch for the face plate, K type thermocouple, and assorted parts ... Less than $100!

Step one completed ... wired as per the wiring diagram provided by SavannahSmoker and inserted an on/off switch to control the Auger as per muebe.

Decided to mount the K type thermocouple inside the unit cause while traveling I didn't want to have to deal with clipping the thermocouple on the grill.  I'm hoping that since the PTG has such a small cooking chamber it won't do too much harm by being mounted in the same position that the RTD normally gets mounted.

A little tight in here but not bad.  The bottom of this compartment has slots on the bottom for a bit of cooling.

Here's the PTG with the PID,  K type thermocouple, 5 amp fuse, and manual switch for the Auger.

So far so good!!!  :)  ... I must give credit where credit is due for the chassis modification, hardware mounting, and wiring to my Son who is a Journeyman Electrician.  He did a fantastic job ...  Unit passed the smoke test (didn't burn up when I turned it ON) and now on to Step Two:  Set Parameters, auto tune, run some test, and take it on the road with me in the RV  ;D  ;D

Plugged PTG in and the FAN is always ON.  Turned the Auger Switch to ON and turned Power ON.  Allowed the Auger to run for 45 seconds, then OFF to help prevent initial temp overshoots.  Auger, Igniter, and Fan did their job and the pit started having a nice fire.  So far so good ...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:37:08 PM by smoker pete »
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Re: Traeger PTG modified with Auber SYL-2372 PID Controller
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
Nice looking mod.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Traeger PTG modified with Auber SYL-2372 PID Controller
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
Nice looking mod.

Thanks Mike.  Got the inspiration from muebe who first modified his PTG with this controller.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Traeger PTG modified with Auber SYL-2372 PID Controller (part 1)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
I remember he had also modified his full size Traeger but them sold it. I wanted to do the same to my Traeger Deluxe but never have the time. Mike (Muebe) so graciously offered to help with it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker