Author Topic: Mini Fridge Cold Smoker  (Read 18776 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Mini Fridge Cold Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
This may be on another thread and if so - please redirect me. I've searched and can't find it if it exists.

From random comments here and on other forums, I am thinking about making a cold smoker out of one of those mini-fridges or dorm fridges. It seems like it should be pretty simple. The fridge lets me keep the temp in the cold smoke range (even in the summer) vs. using a cooler or other "box". I just need the smoke source and an exhaust. So there are the questions... and opinions....

1) Drill a hole and install the smoke daddy
2) Just use the Amazen device (need to figure out adequate air supply.)
3) Make an exhaust port - need to think about size and location...

So, any thoughts?

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Mini Fridge Cold Smoker
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:18 AM »
David...Tommy told me I could drill a hole and add my smoke daddy, with a vent on top. My coleman cooler works fine if its cold outside..temps outside are starting to get too warm, but there will be more cold days yet. Let us know what you do and remember it will be a dedicated frig, you will never get the smoky out of it.  Pam
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »
Dump the smoke daddy and use an AMZNS.

Use a large cardboard box, cut a rectangular slot in the side for the AMZNS and a make a vent in the top opposite the smoke generator. Im sure you have some sort of rack around.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:35:25 AM »
Are thinking of running the small fridge while smoking, If so you may wind up with a lot of condensation and your food might taste a little creosoted. Maybe get a used little chief and use a old mail box and pipe it to the little chief and use an Amazen smoker in the mail box. Maybe not :)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »
Doc get a cheap large ice chest and a metal box. Use the AMZNS in the metal box. Then use a ridgid dryer vent hose that goes from the top of that box to the ice chest. Put a vent hole at the top of the ice chest. Install racks in the ice chest. Now you have a budget cold smoking setup.

The ice chest can be loaded at the bottom with ice or dry ice for example.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
If you already have an old fridge it's already a box with racks installed.
You just put a maze smoker in the bottom & make airflow holes in top  & lower door.
I wouldn't buy a fridge for this just use any of your grills
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
Something consider about the venting:

The convective effect of "air draw" means that the size of the intake - at or near the bottom of the device - is more important than the exhaust vent ( at or near top )

The size of the intake should be equal to or smaller than the exhaust, and having them both adjustable is best. But for just smoking - just a hole that is 3/8'' - 1/2'' in diameter is more than enough. The exhaust being adjustable is more important to controlling airflow thru the chamber, and thus - affecting the temperature,  velocity of air thru the chamber ("dwell time" of the smoke) and...something we do not often recognize - the moisture content of the finished product.

i.e. - a really good cold smoke chamber design - is NOT a good jerky drying chamber. You would want much more thru-put of air, to assist with evaporation.
Conversely - for smoking/cold smoking cheese, fish, nuts, etc - you want only enough air thru the chamber to sustain low smolder of coals/pellets/wood chips.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »
T and all, Thank you. The reason I suggested the fridge was looking forward to the hot season coming to MN (yup we have one...) Hadn't thought about condensation (reason I posted the question - don't really know what I need to think about.) Really want to create a simple cold smoking set-up I can use pretty much year round. Lot's of good stuff here - most important is I need to give this more thought to do it right.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
T and all, Thank you. The reason I suggested the fridge was looking forward to the hot season coming to MN (yup we have one...) Hadn't thought about condensation (reason I posted the question - don't really know what I need to think about.) Really want to create a simple cold smoking set-up I can use pretty much year round. Lot's of good stuff here - most important is I need to give this more thought to do it right.

David

David you can use a tray or pan of ice in the fridge to keep the temps down low and still use whichever smoke generator you want to produce the smoke. I would think you would put the ice in first to get the cabinet temps down low then get your smoke going. A smoke daddy would not be burning in the cabinet and generating as much heat as the pellet/sawdust generators located in the cabinet. From my old canoe camping days, freezing up big chunks of ice like in a milk carton last much longer than ice chips.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
David you got me to thinking , since I just enjoyed  cold smoked salmon today.
My insulated Chargriller Kamodo , adjustable vents , a maze smoker will fit down in the bottom, a big pan of ice , & lots of rack area Hum , ill let you know soon how temps track , but out of town for a week.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp