Author Topic: Yoder and a Savannah Stoker II (SSII)  (Read 5190 times)

Offline slaga

Yoder and a Savannah Stoker II (SSII)
« Reply #-1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
I installed the Savannah Stoker on a Yoder YS640 recently and I am happy with the install. It ran the grill fine without issue. It was not very complicated but more in depth than the typical plug and play install on my Traeger. My goal was to install the SSII without damaging the wiring in the grill or the stock controller in case at some point I need to reinstall the stock controller. BMerrill sent me an SSII and another set of leads that had Molex connectors with 12" leads so I could connect the Molex connectors and install my own connectors for the grill connections.

Here is a picture of the wires coming out of the stock controllers:

I checked the voltage of each wire against the body of the grill. This is what I found, left to right:

Blue - Neutral to the hot rod.
Orange - 119V to the hot rod.

Red - 119V to the auger.
Black - Neutral to the auger.

White - 119V to the fan.
Green - Neutral for the fan.

The next 2 wires on the controller went to another place on the controller, IIRC. I remember them not being needed to wire to anything and dismissed them.

The 2 purple wires went to / from the fuse. The SSII has its own fuse wired in so I was not worried about them.

After noting which spade terminals were 119V, I pulled the wire off and marked the spade with a red sharpie.

Auger:

Power In:

The leads that BMerrill sent me all had a colored wire and a white wire. The white wires had a common connection so I knew those were the neutral for each component. The colored wires were the 119V wires. I connected the leads from the SSII to the appropriate place on the grill component.

Power In:

Fan - I did not have insulated connectors when I did the install so I wrapped them with electrical tape. Note that the green/white are the fans and the orange/white are from the SSII:

Auger:

Hot Rod - This one was a little different. The stock wiring used a weatherpack connector. I have not used these before so I purchased the materials to do it correctly. Remember I wanted to keep everything stock so I could simply re-install the stock controller down the road if I wanted. Cost was about $50 shipped (mostly the special crimping tool I could not source locally and shipping) and I could have very easily clipped the weatherpack out and installed connectors I already had for way less than a $1 but that was not part of my goal. I also have a project car I am working on and I plan to use the tools I bought on that as well so in my world it was a sunk cost, either now or later... Any way here is what I purchased:

ACCEL DFI 74812 Weatherproof Electrical 2 Pin Connector (I bought 2 in case I messed up)
Delphi Packard Weatherpack Terminal Release Tool - Just in case I messed up and had to remove a pin.
Delphi Packard Five-cavity Wide-range Crimping Tool 22-12 AWG / 24-14 AWG

Here is a picture of the weatherpack connector:

The stock backing plate for the SSII was too small to fill the hole in the pellet box. I made a new backing plate out of stainless steel and painted it flat black and it was not as flat as the lid on the can but it worked. Here is a picture of the controller installed. Notice the wires for the thermocouple come out of the top alll of the other wires come out of the bottom of the controller.

The last picture is the front of controller installed. Notice the thermocouple wires come out of the front of the pellet box from the bottom hole in the vent. I will run it behind the thermal jacket and into the front of the grill through the door. I made a few changes to my grill and the far left area, above the fire pot is now a charbroil section. I am sure that area will get well above 750* F which is the limit on the SSII thermocouple so I did not want the wires running through the grill in the stock location. More on that later...

Everything works as designed. As far as how well it controls the grill, I have not had a chance to really test it and to be honest, the changes I made to the air flow inside my grill (more on that later) will make my settings not transfer very well to a normal YS640. I have not even ran an auto-tune yet but think it will be necessary. I can tell you that with the fan on the low setting, a t of 20 seconds and running at 8%, I had a flameout within a few minutes, twice. At 9% it ran for a couple hours the first day. The second day it ran for an hour or so and then flamed out. It looks like 10% is the minimum for outL using the low fan speed. Another thing is this grill will dump some pellets in a hurry. A lot more than my Traeger. I am not sure if you can use outH of 100%, at least until you have a real good fire going, even then you may not.

When I find time in the next few weeks, I will run an auto-tune and I will post the changes I made to my grill and do a couple videos of the smoke production which I am thrilled with.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Yoder and a Savannah Stoker II (SSII)
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »
WOW- now...that is a "first post"!

I am anxious to see how this works for you, as we have quite a few Yoder owners here that will likely have questions for you.

And - if you don't mind - please post an introduction int he New Members section, and tell us about yourself. WHere you live, and what your BBQ interests and other equipment are - that kind of stuff. This just allow the other members to get to know you and welcome you into LTBBQ. Kind of like getting introduced to everyone at a party or cookout ;)

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum from Southern California

That is quite a modification and well detailed. I have some experience with PID controllers and pellet grills so if you have any questions I might be able to help although Bill is the true expert on his controller.

One option you might consider is having a female plug mounted on your plate. Then install the controller into it's own housing. Then you could just plug the controller into your Yoder when you need to use it and you would not need to tilt your head to look at it.

A 12 pin computer wiring harness might work for that option.

Since no one I am aware of has done this with a Yoder you will be spending some time getting your basic numbers to work. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
Congrats!
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline slaga

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
My goal was to leave everything (wiring and grill components) as stock as possible, in case I wanted to return it to stock. At this point, I replaced 2 spade connectors and cut 1 of the 2 grates into 2 pieces. Otherwise, I can put this grill back to stock in a matter of about an hour. The Yoder cover is very form fitting. I am not sure you can add a box to house the SSII to the exterior of the pellet box that will still fit inside the cover very well. I really did not want to drill any more holes in the pellet box either.

I already had a Traeger with an SSI that I am very happy with that is plenty big enough for my family of 4. In all honesty at this point, I am still not sure which grill will keep the SSII or the SSI. Right now, I can open up both grills and unplug 4 connectors and move them back and forth. The Yoder came at a price I just could not pass up so I decided to experiment a little with it. Between the changes in the controller and the air flow inside the grill, I am thrilled with the smoke production. In the next week or so I plan to get a couple videos made and post them along with what I did inside the grill.

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:54:24 AM by slaga »

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
Why did you change out the original controller?
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline slaga

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »
I felt the stock controller was a little "lazy". It was a little slow to get to temperature and adjust to changes but that was something I could have lived with. The short answer is because I wanted to relocate the temperature sensing probe...

I made changes inside the grill that I have not posted yet (coming soon, with video). The stock location for the temperature probe is in the charbroil section that I created, no grill grates for me, not that I have an issue with them at all. I own grill grates too and like them. That is not the section I need to know the temperature for as I'd rather know what the temp is where my food is cooking in the indirect area. Also, the stock controller has temperature offsets built into it. I could not just source a temperature probe with a longer cord and relocate it to the indirect area. My understanding is the stock controller utilizes temperature offsets to accomodate for the difference between the stock location and the center of the grill (front to back) and about 12" from the left side of the cooking grate. Yoder has logged many hours developing that temperature offset table to get it right from 150 to 600 degrees. I felt moving the probe to a different location would make the offset tables the stock controller uses incorrect. The SSII allows me to measure/maintain the temperature right next to the food I am cooking and I can move it anywhere in the grill I want.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:13:55 AM by slaga »

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
looks good.  where are the flames on the outer cover?  I always liked those. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline slaga

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »
looks good.  where are the flames on the outer cover?  I always liked those.

Me too! It was not long enough to cover the entire hole in the pellet box. It was also a little wider than the hole in the other direction. I still have it and I am pondering using a belt sander to shave a little off of the sides so it would fit inside the hole in the pellet box. I do not know when/if I will get around to doing it though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:23:16 AM by slaga »