Author Topic: My Second Kassler Ham  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My Second Kassler Ham
« Reply #-1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »
May 06 2013

I made my first one from a half boneless loin last Thanksgiving. I thought it was really good. This time I did a whole loin cut in thirds.

I first read about Kassler ham at wedlinydomowe.pl/en/ a forum about homemade sausage making.  The recipe was by member Bubba. I ask him and he said it was fine to post his recipe. Thanks Bubba!

I had never heard of Kassler or Kasseler ham so I did some research. It is one German cured meat that never gained popularity here in the US but is still widely available in Germany. I could not find many recipes; most just looked like a copy of Bubba’s recipe. If you do a bone in loin it is called Kasseler Rippchen.

I liked the taste of it, I thought a little milder and less salty than a regular ham. Using a boneless loin makes it easy to slice up and save.

I was thinking I had brined the first one for 3 ½ days so went with 5 days on this one. I discovered I had only done the first one for 2 ½ days and maybe should have just done 4 days. I have to remember that I don’t remember as well as I used to!

I had one pot that just held the loins so the one gallon of brine was enough. After five days brining I rinsed and dried well then in the fridge overnight to air dry.

I got the loins on my smoker with the Amazin tube filled with 100% apple wood for an hour and half cold smoke. I removed the loins and lit my smoker on smoke mode. I went to 225 deg. and put the loins back on. I was using Traeger oak pellets, I wanted alder but my dealer did not have any. I was getting too large of temp swings at 225 so went back to smoke mode P-0 and held 225 deg. pretty close for the rest of the cook. This gave me 240 to 250 deg. at grill level.

It took 2 ½ hours for the two roasts on the right side, the hottest side on my Treager and about 25 min. longer for the other one. I double wrapped in saran wrap and foil then in my oven to rest for an hour. I then removed to cool some and in the fridge for two days.

Tomorrow I will slice and get some vacuum packed to freeze. Tomorrow’s supper will be Kassler mit Kraut, mashed potatoes, and fried spaetzel. I hope I didn’t brine it too long.

The Loin

Brine ingredients

The brine

Loins in brine

Ready for the smoker

After cold smoke

About done

Thick slice

Thin slice

Recipe:

Kasseler German pork loin

Ingredients
1 ¼ cups sugar  (¾ cup)
2 ¾ TBS pink salt
Fresh or dried sage leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 T. juniper berries
1 tsp. coriander
garlic cloves
"Meat"
1 pork loin without back ribs, 4 - 5 pounds
"Equipment"
Alder or beech wood chips
Smoker or grill
Meat thermometer
How to make it
Prepare the loin by removing all but a thin layer of fat. I recommend a loin, not a rib roast. Inject the loin with the brine. Place the loin in the brine and weight it down with a plate or other object to keep it submerged.
Refrigerate for 48 to 72 hours.

Remove the loin from the brine. Discard brine; wash off the pork with cold water and pat dry. You may dry it in the refrigerator for up to a day (do not cover with any wrap).

Prepare your smoker: Smoker temp at 250F; cook to 150 deg. IT. Double wrap in plastic wrap and double foil. Place in a cooler to rest for an hour. I preheat my oven to 200 deg. then turn off and let rest there. Remove and when cool enough place in the fridge for two days before using.

I cut back on the salt and sugar. Noted in parenthesis and added 3 bay leaves. Otherwise I followed the recipe.

Above is the original recipe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:50:11 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: My Second Kassler Ham
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
Looks great!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
Looks good so far, Don! But leave the fried spaetzle away. Kasseler, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes are perfect. Add some of your homemade mustard as a side to the Kasseler.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
I updated my original post with pics of the sliced ham. I did the two largest ones about a 1/2 inch slice. I broke my little cheap slicer so had to slice the one as thin as I could by hand. It tasted great; the five day brine did not hurt it at all. I was afraid it would be too salty. It had a mild ham taste, and not as salty as most hams. Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
Looks wonderful Don.  Great looking Kassler Ham!!!

What's the difference between Kassler Ham and Canadian Bacon?
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »
Looks great and an excellent write up - Thank you!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »

That's a lot like corned beef, but with a pork loin instead...

Interesting!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »

Pete I would say the ingredients in the brine, especially the juniper berries. I think I did Canadian bacon once but don't remember. I would also think it would be moister than dry cured Canadian bacon; a lot of people use Morton tender quick. The brines salt and sugar are about the same in both. When I search Canadian bacon I can get a hundred different seasoned ones. With the Kassler I only found ones with the same ingredients I list here. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »

Pete I would say the ingredients in the brine, especially the juniper berries. I think I did Canadian bacon once but don't remember. I would also think it would be moister than dry cured Canadian bacon; a lot of people use Morton tender quick. The brines salt and sugar are about the same in both. When I search Canadian bacon I can get a hundred different seasoned ones. With the Kassler I only found ones with the same ingredients I list here. Don

Thanks Don
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline Sandman

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
Don, we loved the samples. Cold it was good but on the grill it was great!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »
Don, That looks really good.

You've inspired me to give Kasseler ham a try!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 02:30:57 AM »
The Kassler does make the best ham sandwiches! I thought I had left out some of the thick slices but had frozen all. I used 3 slices of the thinner cuts; browned a little, added some Swiss cheese to the top, covered the skillet until melted and served on a toasted bun with some mustard and a side of leftover mashed potatoes. Smokin Don

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:08:24 PM by Smokin Don »
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi