Author Topic: Tappecue instructional and review  (Read 13362 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Tappecue instructional and review
« Reply #-1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
This review will start with the configuration of the device to connect it to your wireless network. First thing you need to do after un-boxing it is to download the setup program from www.tappecue.com...

The program comes as a .rar format. You will need win rar or similar program to decompress the file if windows does not recognize it. You can get 7-zip from here for free http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html?tag=mncol;4   It will open the file for you.

So after decompressing the file open the setup file and click next...

Wait for the installation to complete...

Once completed you might need windows to be updated with the latest .net framework...

I was prompted to update before the program would run...

Once installed start the program...

You will want to a start a new account first...

And here is where you setup your account. Enter your information and click save. Wait for the conformation before you continue...

Now onto the next tab to register your Tappecue unit. This is when you need to plug in the probes, power and USB cable into your Tappecue. Once it powers up give it a minute. Once all four probe temps display on the LCD screen plug the USB cable for the Tappecue into the computer...

You should see this pop up in the corner. Wait a few minutes for the computer to configure the driver for the Tappecue...

Once the driver is finished being installed you will need to name your Tappecue unit and click save...

Now onto the Wi-Fi setup tab...

Click on the small arrow tab to the right and a drop down will appear with wireless networks near the Tappecue detected. Then click on your network name and click save...

My network name is Uebe2...

Next selection is the type of security your network is configured with. Most newer routers will be WPA1 or WPA2. I happen to have a older router and use WEP-128. Once you have decided on your security type click save...

Here is where you enter your WEP key if your using WEP. If your using WPA then you will leave this box blank and enter a password in the password box and click finish...

Now click the check connection box to verify you are connected...

The last tab is for checking the status of the Tappecue like firmware version and etc...

At this point the Tappecue should be programmed to connect to your network and should automatically connect anytime you plug it in. If you change routers, network names, or passwords then it will need to be reconfigured with the computer otherwise there should be no problems.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Re: Tappecue instructional and review
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
I will add as a note that you must wait for it to confirm each of these steps.

I had an issue on an XP box (part of it was me being too anxious) and I had to install the drivers from the setup folder. No biggie. I just should have clicked on the right icon from the get go....

Their manual is very well documented and will help you through any issues.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
So I just tried to do an ice test and this is what I got on the display...

Here is the normal display...

Obviously needing to read 32F is not necessary but it is helpful when checking the calibration of the probes and unit.

I downloaded the Tappecue android app and the iPhone app for using on my iPad...

Initial log-in screen...

Then you get to the main screen where you can start a new session or view a session in progress...

You can name the session. I called this one test...

Next you have tabs for the four probes...

Click on a tab and you get a drop down for various preset temp ranges for different foods. There are more than shown on the screen. Or you can select none and set your own parameters for each probe...

I set all four to Beef...

The next screen shows the preset temp ranges for the alarms and you can modify each one...

You can select your connected devices here that you want to connect to the Tappecue...

Next screen allows you to look at current temps or alerts and which devices have been alerted...

This picture shows the current temp screen. Each probe can be selected by the probe tabs. It displayed "low" because I had the probes in the ice water...

After I warmed up the probe...

This screen gives you account info, device management, etc...

The iPad app works the same.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »
I am trying so hard to ignore this post for fear of getting out my debit card...  >:(
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:54 AM »
Now obviously this is a very new product but there is so much potential for enhancements. My initial thoughts are...

I like the unit itself. Small and lightweight. Clear cover to see internals adds to the cool factor.

The probes come with very long wires and that is nice. That allows for you to move the unit to a location that best suits your needs. The probes also have a silicone cover where the wire and probe come together and it appears to be water tight. That area needs protection from moisture.

The programming/setup was not too difficult for me although I am not your average computer user and have more knowledge than some. Too bad there is not a WPS button/function. That makes it much easier to connect devices to new generation wireless routers. Some people might have difficulty configuring the security to connect to their router due to not knowing their SSID, security type, or password. I have to say that their instructional video on their website explains this process very well and might help those who cannot figure it out.

The apps seem to work pretty well. I guess my first suggestion would be to come out with a dedicated iPad app that has more functions like the iGrill app. Would be nice to have the graphing ability. I am sure that this is in the works as we speak.

I also think that it is a little cumbersome having to start a session and go through the selections to be able to see the probe temps. They should add a function in the main app screen to go directly to see the four temp probes. This way you can just get a quick view of the temps without having to start a session.

Being able to use multiple devices to monitor your probes is really cool. Android phones, iPads, and iPhones can be added to the approved devices list and individually named. Then each one can be set to receive alarm updates.

Also the guest password function is really cool. Anyone can log into your system using the username and guest password on the app and monitor your cooks live. Just download the app to your device and enter username: muebe and password: LTBBQ! And when I am cooking you can look at my temp probes but not make any changes.

Every finished session can be e-mailed to you when done showing the cook. I have not tried this function yet. I will post later once I try it.

I obviously have not had time to test this thing out with a cook or two so this is just my initial thoughts.

There is so much potential for this device with firmware upgrades and app updates. I hope they get a dedicated cloud up for users to manage all their cooks. Maybe as they start selling more of these units the improvements will come.

There will be more to come on this thread as I move along with testing the unit.

Hey Eric maybe contact them and ask if they would like to become a forum sponsor. We would love to have them here ;)

Oh and a correction. The download file is a .zip and not a .rar file although not a big deal.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:14:42 AM by muebe »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »
Very nice and thoughtful presentation.

If you would be so kind perhaps you could illustrate during an actual cook that would take several hours. But that is an interesting piece of technology.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
Great write up! Thinking about ordering this.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
looks great is it water resistance ?(rain )
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
looks great is it water resistance ?(rain )

No. But I am sure a ziploc bag would take care of that. I might make a water tight case for it however.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
Mike, there is graphing capabilities. I haven't messed with it, but if you go back to their website, go to downloads and you'll see the graphs button. It is a zipped file. I don't have my tappecue with me at the fire station today or I'd play with it.

All right I will need to check that out tonight. Having graphing capability with a dedicated ipad app would be a nice feature however.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Patio Cook#1

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
I did monitor a cook recently on line when this system was being tested.

It did seem like a lot of technology involved in "thermometers".

Then again, I'm not real high tech.

In fact the ET732 is about as high tech as I care to go. The thought of monitoring four different probes from locations unknown is a little much for me. But then again, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
I did monitor a cook recently on line when this system was being tested.

It did seem like a lot of technology involved in "thermometers".

Then again, I'm not real high tech.

In fact the ET732 is about as high tech as I care to go. The thought of monitoring four different probes from locations unknown is a little much for me. But then again, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

I mainly bought it for it's web based monitoring capability. Being able to go to a neighbor's house or a friend's house  down the road and still keep an eye on temps is a cool feature.

Having the ability for others to monitor my cooks was not what sold me on the unit however it is a neat feature.

The four probes is great because there have been times I have had 3 large shoulders on my Memphis and with one maverick only two get monitored and one gets the guessing game. With the Tappecue I can monitor the 3 shoulders and the cooker temp.

And if I am smoking something and it finishes while I am not home I can call the wife and have her take it iff and shut off the grill.

But then again I also have a web based sprinkler control system for my house ::)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:20:51 AM »
Mike, there is graphing capabilities. I haven't messed with it, but if you go back to their website, go to downloads and you'll see the graphs button. It is a zipped file. I don't have my tappecue with me at the fire station today or I'd play with it.

Ok so I checked it out and it does not graph. The file you download contains an excel spreadsheet file  that does graphing. Then there is instructions on how to input the numbers that you get in a e-mail when you end your cooking session. The email contains a minute by minute detail of the probes for the entire cook.

So you use the information the Tappecue gives you to input into excel to create a graph.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
Just started testing my PTG with the SSII at 225F with fan on low speed. You can watch the temp on the free Tappecue app. Just use the user name: muebe and password: LTBBQ!

If your interested...

Tappecue probe is currently reading 253F and SSII 236F

There is a continuous amount of smoke coming from the PTG right now with the fan on low speed.

The probes are both at grill level but the Tappecue probe is located more toward the center of the grill. This would account for the difference in temp.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:11:47 AM by muebe »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
The Tappecue and the SSII are currently measuring about 10 degrees different. The Tappecue is 10 degrees higher.

The PTG has been holding around 240F with lots of smoke. I dropped the OUTL down from 13 to 12. This should allow the temp to settle closer to the setpoint of 225F.

Again the two probes are not exactly in the same spot so 10 degrees difference is expected.

When I get done I will attempt to use the Tappecue numbers to produce a graph for everyone to see using Excel.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC