Author Topic: Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Review  (Read 23557 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie Review
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
Wangs at 450 degrees

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 07:43:09 PM »
Some big old Pork Spareribs..........250 degrees for -6- hours

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
Went halfers with my Boss on a Angus Chuck Roll. He got the bigger half for some reason  ;)  Still, I had a 10 1/2 lb hunk of beefy angus goodness. 8)

Shot it up friday night with a entire bottle of Stubbs Texas Butter. Rubbed down with Stubbs Beef rub. In the fridge till Saturday evening

It is 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday evening...do you know where your 10 1/2 lb angus chuck roll is?

Yup, going into the Bowie with the temp set for 160 for an overnight ride
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 09:04:04 AM »
This is my second overnight cook in the GMG Jim Bowie and my confidence is really growing in this pit.
I left the grill at 9 p.m. and came back out at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morn expecting the fire to be out, an auger jam..ya know..something terrible..........

Nope. The Bowie was just chugging along. Checked the hopper, barely used 1/2 the pellets........

I remember Eric told me a long time ago that Green Mountain Grills were work-horses and I am starting to think he was right  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »
Went 9 hours at 160 degrees. Went 6 hours at 225. Into the oven foiled  for 2 hours at 250. 2 hour rest.

Pulled like butter.........beefy butter  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:12 PM »
Here is how I like to grill on a pellet grill. What I like about this set up is that the next day you remove the foil and the bottom of your grill has no grease in it. Ready for the next cook. :)

Remove the drip pan and the heat deflector and line the bottom with some foil

Put the cooking grates back in. The Jim Bowie is so large I just use one

Grill Grates are a must have

I set the grill for 450. The controller doesn't read accurate with the drip pan and heat shield out but we are going for searing heat . Not too shabby if you ask me.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
Time to cook something at 350 degrees............how about some boneless/skinless chicken thighs stuffed with ortega chilis and ranchera cheese wrapped with bacon and dusted with Eagle rub?  Ok, will do......

2 hours later internal was 170. Not too much smoke flavor. I better call Eric for one of those Amazen tube smokers

This will work

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
For those that don't know, I have been a Cowboy Dealer for Ace of Hearts BBQ for about 5 years now. Ace of Hearts distributes the Good One line of smoker/grills. I have had the honor of being able to talk to Chris Marks and have learned alot from this true legend in the world of Q.  One of the secrets Chris shared with us on the Good One forum was the KCBS banned Tenderloin recipe. It is in the pork section here if you are interested.
Here it is yesterday morning ready to get happy until today

On the JB set at 150 for the first hour for maximum smoke
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »
3 hours and the loin was at 156 internal. Basted it with "The Best BBQ Sauce you will ever taste"

It was a feeding frenzy. I tell ya, that Stubbs injectable Texas Butter is the real deal. This pork was just oozin juices.......

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Since this is an "unofficial" review, I have added a mod to the GMG which I think is a must have for any pellet cooker. I cant remember how many times I have added dryer ducting to my charcoal smokers and ran it almost down to grate level. This way the heat and smoke is forced to travel downwards to find the air exit. The pellet cookers I have seen have these cool smokestaks mounted up way to high. So I stumbled across this web-site that carries stainless downdraft hoods. They have em for GMG, Blazin and Traeger. I think he makes em for Rec Tec but I don't see them on his site: http://shop.pelletgrillaccessories.com/category.sc?categoryId=8

Before installing, I sprayed it down with cooking spray and baked it in the oven to season it. Installation is a snap, just replace the factory bolts with the longer ones in the kit....hey, Old Smoke can do that  ;)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
Rubbed some Tri Tips down with Miners Mix Wholly Chipotle for tomorrows first cook with the new Downdraft mod.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
5:30 this morn put the tri's on with the temp at 160

after 4 hours I bumped up the pit to 225 and 8.5 hours later they were at 180 internal and I pulled em

I purposely placed the tri tips over more to the smokestack side to see if the new downdraft mod would make a difference.

Oh yeah, get a look at this smoke ring

Cubed up the tri and added it to pinto beans and onions and cilantro and had a smokey been soup
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
The downdraft mod was a big success. The JB ran just like it always has. For some reason it seemed like I got more smoke production.  :)

One noticeable difference was the thermo in the lid always ran about 25 degrees hotter than what the controller read. Today with the downdraft installed my thermo matched the controller for the entire cook.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
Eric requested a high heat cook in the Jim Bowie with the new downdraft mod installed. Not a problem.
Dipped some chicken thighs in whipped eggs and rolled em in a seasoned bread crumb mix. Got the JB to 400 degrees.
Took a disposable large foil pan and squirted a little peanut oil on the bottom. Set the thighs in the pan and off we go:

one hour and fifteen minutes later

Let me kill this plate and I will be right back  ;)

OK, I'm back 8)

The downdraft mod is a must have. While the controller purred along at 400 degrees, the lid thermo was locked in at 350 degrees the entire cook.
This leads me to think that the downdraft mod is doing what it was intended to do: keep the heat and smoke down towards the cooking grate.
I have done pellet fried chicken about 4 times on different pellet grills and this chicken was so crispy.....didn't turn em....just a few squirts of peanut oil in the pan........chicken was moist and juicy on the inside...outrageous.

If you own a model of pellet grill that they offer the downdraft mod for get it and get it now. If you happen to own a model that they don't carry, call em and ask away...this mod is a must have.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »
Time to wrap this review up.

The GMG Jim Bowie has worked perfectly since Eric delivered it. It heats up quickly. It had some large temp swings early on but the temps tightened up as the pit got used more. The temps have really gotten tight since I added the downdraft mod. Pellet consumption is nothing to go crazy about because this is a large pit. If you top the hopper off you should be able to get plenty of sleep though for an all night cook, so it is not a pellet chomper by any means.

The grill has worked perfectly on overnight cooks at 160 and has excelled in the 300-400 range. I have used the deflectors like the Mfg suggests and the temps are pretty even across the cooking grate.

I can see why Eric carries the GMG line-up. It is a solid performer at a good price. Plenty of features and a company that is always looking to improve their product.

This is a nice pellet grill that would be a nice addition to any patio.  Thanks to Eric for providing me this grill.

Now where is that Yoder YS-1500 for the next review  ;) :D ;) ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven