Author Topic: MoJoe  (Read 5591 times)

Offline old sarge

MoJoe
« Reply #-1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:44:40 PM »
I came across a product called the MoJoe griddle that can be used over and open fire or atop a Weber kettle for when your need pancakes and eggs in the wild (or your own back yard). It seems pretty nifty with the removable handles and the legs.  I thought you good folks might like to take a look and maybe one of you already have one.  In any case, here is the link:

http://www.mojoeoutfitters.com/

It is not cheap, but is being made in the USA.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: MoJoe
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »
very cool idea.  would love to have one but at $250.  ouch.  more money than my weber. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
A piece of black iron for cooking? Kind of reminds me of the discada, or plow disc for cooking although they are not flat.

I have this cast iron one, the only thing I don't like about it is the handles as they don't come off during cooking and get very hot.

Offline Pappymn

MoJoe
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
very cool idea.  would love to have one but at $250.  ouch.  more money than my weber.

X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:58:51 PM »
Devo,

Here's an adjustable heat disc cooker I saw at a horse camp once. It unscrews and breaks down for travel.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline old sarge

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
The price seems to be a deal breaker.  However, during some downtime I sourced the pricing of plain old carbon steel plate, 1/4 inch thick, from US sources.  A single piece 24" square, sheared to shape (not plasma or CNC laser cut) ran from the high $40's to low $70's.  Plasma or laser cutting would nearly double the price at one site. I could not find a price for a disc so I am assuming that configuration would have to cost more.  Then the legs and handles, and the labor, and the price is probably not that out of line because the company needs to make a profit.  If it takes off, maybe sourcing in large quantities would lower the material cost and bring the price down, possibly considerably. Time will tell.  But the concept is rather nice.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
Devo,

Here's an adjustable heat disc cooker I saw at a horse camp once. It unscrews and breaks down for travel.

Looks like somebody re-cycled a disc harrow......  ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
I really like it, but as has been mentioned, $250 is a bit steep. Reminds me of the Mexican comal, a cooking device I want to get - typically made of old steel or some kind of ceramic

This is what I'm considering to use on the SRG unless I can find something more authentic

http://www.amazon.com/92516-Comal-Stainless-Steel-22-Inch/dp/B00AQLKQQG/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1391230565&sr=8-26&keywords=comal

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »
you could do a lot w/ it.  steaks, eggs, pancakes and all kinds of things.  stir fries. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »
I am sure the isolation plate in the firebox of my offset did not cost that much.  It is basically the same thing, and I have used it for cooking in the same way.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 06:58:28 AM »

X2

X3   Funny videos though  ;D
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
I like the washing machine tub fire box! 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
I like the washing machine tub fire box! 

I have the same but with legs, they work great ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
Devo,

Looks like somebody re-cycled a disc harrow......  ;) ;D

That's exactly what happened on this one.
The price seems to be a deal breaker.  However, during some downtime I sourced the pricing of plain old carbon steel plate, 1/4 inch thick, from US sources.  A single piece 24" square, sheared to shape (not plasma or CNC laser cut) ran from the high $40's to low $70's.  Plasma or laser cutting would nearly double the price at one site. I could not find a price for a disc so I am assuming that configuration would have to cost more.  Then the legs and handles, and the labor, and the price is probably not that out of line because the company needs to make a profit.  If it takes off, maybe sourcing in large quantities would lower the material cost and bring the price down, possibly considerably. Time will tell.  But the concept is rather nice.

Very true Sarge, volume is king in manufacturing and steel prices are high these days. You might check with a local cnc shop for plasma cutting, it shouldn't double the price if you want to make something similar for your self. I'm sure they pay a lot less for materials even if they are only making a few dozen at a time by buying in bulk.

Offline old sarge

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »
Sabre4,

The company might also want to look into importing the steel to hold down prices and then fabricating all in the US for a lower cost. But I suppose the company will do whatever it needs to to survive and make a profit.  Times are tough.  But I do give them credit for starting a business and putting some folks to work while others just sit around grumbling.  My hat is off to them, takes courage and money to start up a business.

Dave
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus