Author Topic: Muffuletta  (Read 2195 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Muffuletta
« Reply #-1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:12:18 AM »

A classic sandwich from New Orleans, a “Muff” as they are called, is somewhat like an Italian sub (hero, hoagie) but with a twist: olive salad. There are several variations for this sandwich but the original is from the Central Grocery (others will argue this was not the first).

While you could prepare your own olive salad for this sandwich there are several very good commercial varieties that will save you some time. I use a commercial “muffuletta” mix and add some other ingredients to my liking. Feel free to experiment and find the combination you like.

For the Muff salad:
1/2 cup olive salad mix (I use Giuliano but use whichever brand you prefer)
3 tablespoons sliced black olives
1 1/2 tablespoons rinsed capers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil (you don’t need extra virgin)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

For the sandwich:
1 large loaf muffuletta bread (or focaccia/ ciabatta bread)
1/4 pound mortadella
1/4 pound soppressata
1/4 pound capocollo
1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
1/4 pound sliced Swiss cheese
1/4 pound Genoa salami
Peperoncinis (optional)

Combine the black olives, capers and garlic in a small food processor. Pulse until somewhat smooth but not puréed. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the olive salad mix, vinegar and olive oil. Stir well to combine. Add the parsley, basil and pepper. Stir. Allow the salad mix to blend at room temperature for two to four hours.

Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Remove some of the interior bread so there is room for the meat and olive salad. Layer both sides of the bread with the olive mixture (spoon in some of the remaining oil to make the bread moist). Put in the mortadella, soppressata, capicolo, provolone, Swiss and salami in alternating layers. Top with sliced peperoncinis (if desired).

Assemble the sandwich and wrap with plastic film or foil. (I used a Tuscan-style Boule because I couldn’t find any muffuletta bread in New England.) Compress the sandwich between two heavy skillets and let it rest for two hours before serving so all the olive oil and juices get into the bread.

(Now there are a couple of options… some say the Muff should be served at room temperature; others suggest it should be toasted on a Panini press or heated in the oven wrapped with foil… your choice!)

The cast of characters for the olive salad

Finished olive salad

Bread with olive salad

Meats and cheeses added

Ready to eat

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:37:01 PM by bbqchef »
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
Re: Muffuletta
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
Very nice sandwich.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
Ready to eat, indeed!!  I'll be book marking this page.  I love Muffulettas.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
That is a nice looking Muffuletta. Looks better than the last one I had in NO, and that one was outstanding.
Love to cook and eat

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
That really looks delicious Chef!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
A whole lot of flavor in one bite!!! Nice! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
That looks good.  I'll take one with everything but the olive salad.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
I have never heard of this sandwich, going to have to do some research and try it.

Thanks for posting ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »
I love a good Muffuletta. The only place here that served a good authentic one closed down.  May be time for a  road trip.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
Nice Muff, I made one of them once there good.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
BBQChef, I love a good muffuletta and, to date, the best is Central Market like you mentioned. Whenever in New Orleans, I hit Central Market. After I finish my sandwhich, I cross the street for some Aunt Sally's pecan pralines and then down a few stores to finish my lunch off with some beignets and a cup of coffee au lait at Cafe DuMonde. Jason's Deli (a franchise sandwhich shop with stores all over the country) serves a pretty good replica.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
BBQChef, I love a good muffuletta and, to date, the best is Central Market like you mentioned. Whenever in New Orleans, I hit Central Market. After I finish my sandwhich, I cross the street for some Aunt Sally's pecan pralines and then down a few stores to finish my lunch off with some beignets and a cup of coffee au lait at Cafe DuMonde. Jason's Deli (a franchise sandwhich shop with stores all over the country) serves a pretty good replica.

Yep, time for a road trip for sure, either to BBQChef's house or to Nola. We should all try and make it down there for St Paddy's Day.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

Yep, time for a road trip for sure, either to BBQChef's house or to Nola. We should all try and make it down there for St Paddy's Day.

Ken, you're on to something. I'll meet you there.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »

Ken, you're on to something. I'll meet you there.

As much as I love Nola's St Patrick's Day parade, the best one I have ever been to was in Jackson, MS of all places.  Talk about a hoot, watching several thousand women dressed up as "female drag queens" march down the street is hilarious. Don't know where we would get a good Muffuletta but there is an excellent Irish pub on Fortification Street.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
Jason's Deli (a franchise sandwhich shop with stores all over the country) serves a pretty good replica.
They make darn good sandwiches all around.
Love to cook and eat