Author Topic: PBC Indirect Heat  (Read 1836 times)

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
PBC Indirect Heat
« Reply #-1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Have any of you tried adding something above the coal basket to make it more of an indirect heat? OR is the meat so far from the coals that it is more or lest like indirect heat and therefore not necessary.

The reason im asking is because there have been a couple of times, definitely not the norm, when the bottom of my meat has been a little chared when sitting on the rack for a significant period of time.
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline tomcrete1

Re: PBC Indirect Heat
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »
Have had the same issue with full racks of ribs, you could try cutting them in half.... Although my best advice would be careful when you put the ribs on. The PBC once it is hot is difficult to cool down. It's always better to build your heat up as opposed to trying to cool down on the PBC.  With that said put them on early right after the charcoal is on, if you need to bump the temp up you can always crack the lid to increase the temp.  I have been questioned as to why I installed a temp gauge on my PBC and that is why so I can monitor and adjust. The more I cook with it the Les I need it. I'm sure the same will happen for you.  :) :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
I don't think I've ever done full racks of ribs in the PBC, maybe once. I always cut them in half
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »
I did a pile o ribs and a half of chicken on the racks.  I filled the basket on one side and left the other empty, the ribs were above the coals and the chicken was on the other side.  It worked well for me.  I always use full racks on the PBC without issues, but most of the time I am plugging the unused rebar holes with at least one cork to lower the pit temperature.  I can only remember one time feeling the ends were a little charred, but I also use a fair amount of brown sugar on my ribs.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
What im talking about is when i have not hung meat but placed it on the grill grate instead. The side of my meat that faced the coals has gotten charred before. Its happened once with a brisket and once with ribs....
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59:10 AM »
I did a pile o ribs and a half of chicken on the racks.  I filled the basket on one side and left the other empty, the ribs were above the coals and the chicken was on the other side.  It worked well for me. I always use full racks on the PBC without issues, but most of the time I am plugging the unused rebar holes with at least one cork to lower the pit temperature.  I can only remember one time feeling the ends were a little charred, but I also use a fair amount of brown sugar on my ribs.

Part of the cooling of the coals comes from fats dripping on the meats.  Spitballing here, but maybe line the grate with foil and poke holes in the bottom to allow the fats to still drip and help regulate temperatures? You wouldn't get smoke this way on the bottom.  Thinking as typing here... When dry brining chicken I use toaster over racks to elevate the meat and separating the liquid, maybe do the foil with holes under the meat and use another rack to lift the meat slightly higher allowing smoke around the whole cut of meat.  I will try and take pictures when I get home tonight.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759