Author Topic: cooking a pizza with the lid off?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline viscera912

cooking a pizza with the lid off?
« Reply #-1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:18:05 PM »
I have done one pizza cook in the pbc and wrote up a thread on this forum about it.  After reading posts on the "pizza" sub section of this forum it seems high temp is the name of the game.  So just curious, if heat is the name of the game, why not try cooking a pizza with the lid off and the coal screamin hot?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: cooking a pizza with the lid off?
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »
It is worth a shot. Not sure what kind of temps at grate level that will yield - but if you try it, please let us know.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »
I think the flames are gonna get out of control and you will have burnt crust and uncooked toppings.........but........ya don't know till you try it..... 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:02:52 PM »
Have done seasoned potatoes and lasagna with the lid off but I had them in a tin foil pan and they turned out just fine, I think pizza will be ok as long as you have it on a pan, or.. Maybe a pizza stone?  Worth trying, If you don't I'm thinking I will..
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:24:54 PM »
I have made pizza on on my PBC twice. Both times on a stone and with the lid closed. First time the dough was not quite done and put it in the kitchen oven to finish. The 2nd time I put the dough on the stone first and gave it about  20 min with the lid on. I removed dough and put on the sauce and all the fixins then returned to the PBC for another 20 -30 min. It was very good and the dough was done through out. Oh yes, I used Pepperoni, Onions , Green Pepper, Black olives and about 10 min before it came off I laid on shredded mozzarella cheese. ;D
CM   
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »
Chief,I do like you,precook the dough before adding goodies.IMO thats the only way to get a well cooked crust unless you are using a high temp style pizza oven.I have a hard time hitting 450F in the oven here,but I can and do get some dialed in crusts.

Im thinking getting around 400F with both rebars out,or possibly cracking lid too should work just fine if you precook the dough like Chief relates.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:55:57 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
I have made pizza on on my PBC twice. Both times on a stone and with the lid closed. First time the dough was not quite done and put it in the kitchen oven to finish. The 2nd time I put the dough on the stone first and gave it about  20 min with the lid on. I removed dough and put on the sauce and all the fixins then returned to the PBC for another 20 -30 min. It was very good and the dough was done through out. Oh yes, I used Pepperoni, Onions , Green Pepper, Black olives and about 10 min before it came off I laid on shredded mozzarella cheese. ;D
CM
Sounds awesome!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline viscera912

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »

something came up on the day i was going to do the pizza cook so i haven't gotten around to it yet.  i think ill try the method of "pre cooking" the dough as that makes perfect sense to me.  ill try my next pizza cook with the lid off and pre cooking the dough.  should have ample time during christmas and will post the results........bad or good!!!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »
If you have 'Q mats ( from Amazen Products ) you can par-bake the pizza crust in the PBC - and all of the rising heat will assist you nicely as well and help to evaporation some of the moisture. I like a pizza stone for certain things - but I find that if I can get more air circulation around the pie - I am more likely to not have a "soggy" crust when finished.

YMMV ( Your Mileage May Vary)  - largely dependent on how thin or thick you like your crust.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401