Author Topic: Grilling was weak  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Big Max

Grilling was weak
« Reply #-1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
Hey all. BBQ/PBC rookie here. I've done four cooks so far. I hung pork loin, ribs, and flat iron steak. They all came out great. There was still a lot of charcoal to burn when I was done, so I thought I'd use less to do burgers. (I'm cheap.) They took forever and didn't come out all that well. Yesterday I geared up to do a flank steak, for tacos al carbon, on the grill. I loaded up the charcoal and opened the damper full out, let the lid off, no rods in. Couldn't get a good sear, though the meat was done easily enough, about seven minutes a side.

I've read here that the fire gets hotter if a) you use lump charcoal, or b) if you put the burning coals in the basket first, then the rest. I've already thought of getting something to elevate the basket.

Any suggestions? Did I do something wrong? Too impatient? Thanks for any feedback.

Offline Kona

Re: Grilling was weak
« on: June 02, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
I grill quite frequently on my PBC, especially steaks. My bottom vent is set to 1/4 open as I'm in Florida and I never adjust it. I've always used the lighter fluid method but I will light and let the coals burn 25-30 minutes before putting food on. The coals are screaming hot at that point. I will throw wood chunks on the coals and let those catch then throw the meat on. It gets so hot that I can't even hold my hand over the grate without a glove. Lump will give you a hotter temp for grilling as well but I've only used briquettes. There are some that have propped up their coal basked on a clay flower pot in the barrel. I've seen some hang the basket from the grate with hooks and also hang the basket from the rebars and put the grate on top of the bars. I just haven't found a reason yet as I've always got a good sear in the stock position. I believe PBC also sells a special grate for grilling that transfer heat better, I think it's on their site.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Big Max

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 04:49:15 PM »
Thanks. From what you say, the prime suspect was my not waiting long enough for the coals to get hot. I'll keep that in mind for my next cook.

Offline Pappymn

Grilling was weak
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
That's some great looking meat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:48:54 AM »
Try using a chimney to get them blazing. The width of a PBC basket won't really get the jet/rocket stove effect.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
Might have been the coals. Usually trying to grill in a drum with the lid off makes for Dantes Inferno. You ought to just grab a 18" Weber kettle and call it a day..........just sayin.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
As Kona's post perfectly points out, you can grill on a PBC but it is a dedicated effort.  Burned down charcoal following a smoking session in one may or may not work out because the device wasn't designed to be a multi-temperature/mode cooker.  Life is full of compromises . . .

Look at the basic Weber kettle.  With top and bottom easily adjustable vents you can tweak grid temperatures for some fantastic grilling.  the basic design (a classic) promotes even heat throughout the surface.  It can be used as a smoker, too but the effort will be higher to get good results.  You'll build the fire differently and tend it fairly often.  Grill first, smoker second.

Now ponder the PBC.  Minimal adjustability.  Designed to cook more by time than by temperature for simplicity and ease of use.  Promotes a delicious "grease fog" that imbues a charcoal flavor to meats cooked for medium to long times.  It can be used as a grill but you'll have less flexibility with that process.  Smoker first, grill second.

As any mechanic will say, "use the right tool for the job"  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN