Author Topic: How are those Masterbuilt Gravity Fed units holding up  (Read 705 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
How are those Masterbuilt Gravity Fed units holding up
« Reply #-1 on: January 18, 2024, 11:38:32 AM »
Thinking of getting another cooker.  Like the idea of the gravity fed with temp control and the option of using lump charcoal or actual splits of wood that are now readily available at lots of places.
How are they holding up long term?  Any issues?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: How are those Masterbuilt Gravity Fed units holding up
« on: January 18, 2024, 12:24:23 PM »
never had one but noticed that Oklahoma Joe is now offering one and it looks nice
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:51:13 PM »
  I have a Char Griller 980 and it has been fine. I did have a probe go out right at Christmas (very bad timing) but it turned out a very easy fix.  As far as cooking goes the gravity feeds are a great idea. The food comes out really good. 
 There is some cheapness about it but the Masterbuilt doesn't look any better in that respect.
   I did not use the crappy little power supply that came with it. I hooked up a 12-volt power supply with battery backup so it gets clean regulated power all the time. ( I can help with that for anyone needing a 12v power supply).
 I went ahead and added the LSS mod fan extension as well. I figured I'd fix that before it starts... 
  I see a lot of complaints but some of these guys run them as hot as they can all the time so I don't know what they expect when doing that. I run mine at or under 450. I have used charcoal, wood chunks, and even small hickory logs.   
 I know that is not the Masterbuilt info but maybe it helps with something. LSS mods have a few items to "Hot Rod" the Mastbuilt as well...
   I saw this Old Country BBQ Pits Insulated Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker at Academy Sports and found it interesting. . I don't think it requires power at all but I'm not positive on that yet. It may require a little learning to maintain the temps but that should be easy enough...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 11:55:47 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. 
The Old Country and the Oklahoma Joe sound like they're worth checking out.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4