OTHER HOBBIES > OTHER HOBBIES

Rocketry picture dump

(1/3) > >>

Jo3sh:
I'm not 100% sure this is the best place for this, but I can't really see anywhere else it fits.

Over in my introduction thread, there was some interest in my rocketry-related exploits. This is an album of pictures I dumped off my phone today related to that topic:

http://imgur.com/a/8dLQV#0

There are more than 100 pics there. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

--- Quote from: Hornzbee on October 25, 2012, 11:29:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jo3sh on October 25, 2012, 01:27:26 AM ---
On Saturday, in fact, I will be out in the desert with my rocket AROMA FULL OF RUM (long story). I've been flying it on J motors and eventually I am hoping to get a K in it. The rocket is all fiberglass, 6'7" tall, and launch weight of about 11 pounds. With a mid-J in it, it got 4905 feet last month. Not sure what will happen this month - either I will fly the research load we made, or I will fly another J.

I need to build something larger to take Ls. If I do it right, I might even get a rocket I can also fly Ms in, and do L3 with it. Big rockets are expensive, though.

I've never been to LDRS, but I am hoping to go to BALLS next September. The goal by then is to be flying pretty large research motors reliably. I'm going to have to start building 3" and 4" motor cases, though.

--- End quote ---

Woah! M's? Yeah, you are talkin money...a lot.  Not that its not worth it.  It also takes a lotta time.  We need to post some videos so these folks understand what we're talkin about here.  At that level, when peeps see it they are stunned by it. And when they are actually witness to it live, in-person they really understand!

--- End quote ---

I think it's pretty unlikely I will fly a certified M and get L3 anytime soon. I do know where there's a motor case I can borrow, but just the fuel for that flight costs about $500 - and that doesn't count the rocket. The nice thing about research is that it's less expensive (at least it is if you only count the materials). A 3-grain, 54mm J motor costs about 1/3 the price to make our own as it does to buy a commercial load.

mikecorn.1:
Wow!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

muebe:
Now those are some big rockets!

Looks like your coming up my way to launch them. Do you launch them at El Mirage?

Jo3sh:
We launch out east of Mojave, near North Edwards and Cal City.

I should mention that not every one of those rockets is mine. The really BIG one (12" diameter x 7 feet tall) is actually my uncle's L3 project.

muebe:
I work in Cal City quite a bit. You launch out by Jawbone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version