Author Topic: When you buy a boat get a marine survey  (Read 14135 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

When you buy a boat get a marine survey
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »
This has been a year that so many of the people I know have had engine problems many with new used boats. One friend bought an expensive used twin engine boat & did not have the engine checked.......One engine was bad $$$$ later he was back in the water.

A Marine survey will cost & there are no guarantees just like with a home inspection but with that one shortcut of skipping the survey it can cost you big, big bucks.

The old story of the free boat that cost $20,000 is so true & it is not just with the engine there is electrical, hull integrity & now with this fuel we are using gas tanks & fuel lines. This is just a starter list.

So yes I am worried about my boat & I have given the person doing the survey my own list to go over. I will be there (I am no expert) just to make sure. Get there a couple of hours early if you do get a survey as the owner may start a troubled engine early so when you get there it runs well but really has trouble starting.  Also, take it out for a test ride before buying.

Many times a person goes to sell a boat that is starting to have a problem ( :'() If at a dock, interview people on that dock about the boat & owner. Look at how clean the boats is as this could say a lot to how well they took care of it. With my boat the guy next door in a slip gave me lots of info on this boat it was 80/20 good. The 20% has been sent ahead to the person doing the survey.

Now where am i taking a shortcut...well with the survey the engine gets checked only so far. I really should have an engine guy check it out too. If i have any doubts come sea trial day I will. When you do a sea trial run the boat at all speeds in saltwater or big lakes take it out on a rough day or run the boat through your own wake a few times. Lastly If you are good with home electric & car care please don't use any parts unless they are marine approved. Double clamp all hoses that again are marine hoses. If you have any cabin add a fire alarm & CO2 detector. If the boat comes with one change it if it is over five years old. One last time pay the extra & get a marine co2 detector & alarm not a home one.

Ok one more ;) ;) ;) Be prepared to walk...don't buy it because it is a nice day or you love it's looks. If you get that sinking feeling just say no.

Anyway, I hope this info helps someone because IMO there is no better hobby/lifetstyle in the world ....except cooking outdoors :D :D :D

With all that I am still worried ??? ??? ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: When you buy a boat get a marine survey
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
So true!     the word "BOAT" does mean Break - Out- Another - Thousand  for a reason.

Same with cars or trucks, spend a few bucks to see what your getting by a technician or gamble with $$$$$  :o :o ??? ??? ???

Seen bad things happen on both sides of boats and car/trucks   You got to do homework or hire the right person or have DEEP pockets ??? ??? ??? ???

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
So true!     the word "BOAT" does mean Break - Out- Another - Thousand  for a reason.

Same with cars or trucks, spend a few bucks to see what your getting by a technician or gamble with $$$$$  :o :o ??? ??? ???

Seen bad things happen on both sides of boats and car/trucks   You got to do homework or hire the right person or have DEEP pockets ??? ??? ??? ???
So true Tommy, when I  bought my 2008 Aspen with 124,000 miles on it I had a great garage in town check it out & they gave me a list to take to the dealer. He fixed everthing on the list. Even then I took it back to my guy to check out the work.

You can't protect against everything & s___ happens but you can get the odds in your favor.

I am still worried lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
The timing of this thread couldn't be any better, lol.

My boat needs a new engine, lucky me!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »

Yep your lucky  ??? ??? ???   only a 20 year loan should be good for a boat motor.  I priced them a few weeks back OMG there out of sight  $$$$$ money wise :o :o :o :o
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 01:01:26 PM »

Yep your lucky  ??? ??? ???   only a 20 year loan should be good for a boat motor.  I priced them a few weeks back OMG there out of sight  $$$$$ money wise :o :o :o :o

Yep, that's why I called the guy who sold it to me and we have an agreement that he is going to replace the motor. We'll see how it shakes out.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »

How sad RG...I am so sorry. .....I hope the guy is a stand up guy. We were just talking about this type of sale last night. I wish you well. But don't give up the ship RG. get it patched up & I am sure you will love it. 

I hope I am not next. What a year as one captan said last night...... last year boats were all sinking....this year boats have blown engines. We had a 52 foot Bertram go down like a rock last year. $50,000 to raise it. $100,000 for the cleanup. The boat loss was $$$$.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »
I hear horror stories at times regarding boats so yes they do happen. I guess I was lucky. I've owned my boat for over 18 years and with the exception of new batteries, regular maintenance and upgrade of electronics ( my choice and not required ) it has been very reliable. Point is sure there are lemons but there are also savory water melons as well.
MAK #3591

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
I hear horror stories at times regarding boats so yes they do happen. I guess I was lucky. I've owned my boat for over 18 years and with the exception of new batteries, regular maintenance and upgrade of electronics ( my choice and not required ) it has been very reliable. Point is sure there are lemons but there are also savory water melons as well.

Fresh water or salt water use?
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill