Author Topic: A Fun Winter Project - Restoring a Classic Firearm  (Read 16446 times)

Offline Lines

Re: A Fun Winter Project - Restoring a Classic Firearm
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »
Went out to look at the gun he dropped off. It is a Marlin Model 81. Not a deluxe DL, just a straight model 81. Looks to be in about 60%-70% condition. Not bad for its age. The bore is very good. I may buy it from him for my personal collection. Maybe I can trade it to someone for a good Marlin 39A lever.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:53 PM »
Great project! :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
UPDATE - A Fun Winter Project - Restoring a Classic Firearm: Stage 2 - Done!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »
Okay, Stage 1 was finding all the parts and supplies needed to restore this Marlin 81-DL rifle, so next is...

Stage 2 - Things to be done prior to stripping and refinishing the barrel and stock:
  • Temporarily assemble the rifle, including the magazine, and test fire to be sure everything fits and works.
  • Drill and tap holes needed for the scope mounting hardware.
  • Temporarily mount the scope to be sure it fits properly and clears the bolt handle.

1)  Temporary assembly and test firing - DONE!  :thumbup:

The bolt action is a bit stiff (old build-up and rust), but everything works and ammo feeds down the tube magazine and chambers nicely.  Everything should work even better and much more smoothly once the receiver is disassembled, rust removed and and all parts cleaned & lubricated.

2) Drill and tap holes needed for the scope mounting hardware - Done!

I figured it was smarter to do this step BEFORE I stripped and re-blued the barrel!  ;)  Since my friend Joe (who gave me the barrel) is the one with the gunsmithing equipment and knowledge, we did this over at his house.  A huge Thanks, to Joe!

Here's Joe drilling and tapping the receiver.  This step cannot be done haphazardly. It was mounted in a proper rifle drilling jig which ensures it's sitting true and level so the holes are all centered, straight, and spaced correctly.

3) Test fit the scope - Done!

Plenty of eye relief, no problem with cartridges ejecting, and the bolt handle clears the scope while cycling the action (will have even better clearance once I adjust the scope back a little further during final assembly).

Next up will be stage 3: Disassembling, stripping, cleaning & re-bluing the barrel and receiver.  Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:41:40 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Lines

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 11:18:18 PM »
Sounds like your on the right course. I see you're using Weaver Quad Lock rings. my favorite.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:30 PM »
What does that mean "bluing the barrel" ?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 12:02:04 AM »
What does that mean "bluing the barrel" ?

Guns or gun barrels that have that classic smooth deep bluish-black patina have been "Blued".   It's literally a controlled oxidizing of the raw carbon steel to help protect it.  Without getting into a lot of details, there are three basic bluing methods: Hot Bluing (done at factories), rust bluing, and cold bluing.

There are lots of videos on youtube on bluing.

<><
Member #68

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 11:59:26 AM »
Nice, Cliff!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
UPDATE - Restoring a Classic Firearm: Stage 3 - Done!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
Stage 3 - Stripping, & Re-Bluing the Barrel, Receiver and Magazine:

Disassembly

Receiver/Action disassembled and ready for some tough love! Note: This was the better looking side of the barrel.

Here's another closeup showing what kind of shape this barrel was in.  Even the Trigger Safety Screws need some work!

Stripping the Barrel/Receiver, Magazine & parts.
I used Birchwood Casey's "Blue & Rust Remover", some steel wool, and plenty of elbow grease to remove the bluing and/or rust from all parts.

Here are all the steel parts, including the magazine outer tube, stripped down to bare metal, polished/burnished where needed, and ready for bluing.

Re-Bluing the Barrel & Parts

There are other methods of finishing a gun barrel besides bluing, but this is a classic firearm and deserves a classic blued finish!

What is Bluing?  Bluing is a thin layer of blueish-black iron oxide on steel which, when maintained (lightly oiled), acts as a barrier against weather and normal rust. There are three basic bluing methods: Hot bluing (considered the best), slow rust bluing, and cold bluing.

After much research on the various bluing methods (including pricing), and products, I settled on a "heated metal" cold blue method paired with Brownell's "Oxpho-Blue Creme".  This product cost a bit more, but is highly rated.

The method I used for this product:
  • Before applying the Oxpho-Blue cream, the parts are all heated to around150° to drive out all moisture and open the pores of the steel.
  • A first, thick coating of the creme is applied with a small piece of shop towel and allowed to sit for about one minute.   The majority is wiped off, leaving a thin layer to completely dry.  That is then burnished with some steel wool to start evening out the color.
  • Any cream in openings, holes, etc. is rinsed off with hot water and the part thoroughly dried and reheated.
  • Additional thinner coats are applied and burnished lightly until an even, dark color is achieved.
  • The final step is to apply a good coating of oil and allow to sit for at least 24-48 hours to allow the black oxide coating to cure, and some oil to soak in.

Here you can see the receiver end (on the right) is finished, and I'm now working on the barrel.

Here are all the parts re-blued, and/or cleaned & polished (including the Magazine inner & outer tubes).

The results are nothing less than spectacular!  While it's not like a perfect new barrel, I am more than thrilled with the results so far!

Stay tuned for the next stage: Refinishing the Gunstock.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:44:31 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

A Fun Winter Project - Restoring a Classic Firearm
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
Looks great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:53 PM »
Looks good cliff.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
Looking good so far :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Restoring a Classic Firearm - Update - Stock Essentially Finished!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »
Well it's been over a month since my last update, BUT I have a good excuse...  I've been super busy getting the other forum setup, and doing some much needed updating, etc. to this one!  ;)

Other than a couple touch-ups, the rifle stock is finished!  This has been, without a doubt, the most time consuming part of this project.

Disassembly & Hardware

I started by removing all the hardware from the gunstock.  This image shows how much dirt and grime had gotten worked into the forend (front) of the stock, wear spots towards the shoulder end, and some water spot damage near the grip.  If you look closely you can also see some chipping in the butt plate that needed repairing.  The hardware was in decent shape, no major rust, but the bluing was a little worn, so I'll address that as well.

All of the steel parts were stripped, cleaned up, and re-blued using the same process I used for the barrel and receiver parts.

Here's the butt plate cleaned up and chips repaired using JB Weld Epoxy Putty, sanded and finished with a coat of black spray paint.

Stripping the Stock

I started by stripping the lacquer off with a thick coat of Citristrip paint stripper and wrapped in plastic wrap overnight.  It was scraped & wiped off the next morning leaving just the wood stain behind.

Next, water-soaked shop towels and an iron were used to steam out any dents. This also lifted out much of the old wood stain and raised the wood grain.  After drying, an initial sanding was done with 180 grit drywall sanding screen.  To finish lifting the old wood stain, I wrapped the stock in acetone-soaked shop towels & plastic wrap for several hours.  To remove the remaining dirt & grime stains in the forend, I wiped the stock with bleach, let it dry, then followed up with damp towels to remove bleach residue.  Finally, the stock was sanded with 220 and 400 grit sandpaper, followed by 0000 steal wool.  Wow, what a difference, and very smooth to the touch!

Refinishing the Stock

Which type & color stain to chose?  Stripping and steaming removes essential oils and can leave wood dry and susceptible to cracking.  I also wanted that classic dark reddish brown color, so...  two coats of Minwax "Gunstock", oil-based stain was the perfect choice!  I am starting to love how this looks!

After debating which type of finish to go with, I settled on Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, for one simple reason; while it's more work up front, later if it gets scratched, it can be more easily repaired without having to re-strip the stock.

The finishing process involved a total of around 21 thin coats of the Tru-Oil applied and hand-rubbed in, then hung to dry & cure for 12 - 24 hours. After each coat, it was burnished with 0000 steel wool, then vacuumed and wiped down with tack cloth to remove all steel wool particles and dust.

After every 5 coats, I did a very light, wet, level-sanding with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  The final few extremely thin coats were applied with a small piece of blue shop towel.

I'm very happy with the results: usable, but still beautiful and much better than the original factory finish!  After all, I refinished and restored this gun to be used! 

After it cures for a good 72 hours, all that's left is a few touch-ups and this project can be reassembled and wrapped up!  I plan to put a video together showing a few more details of the whole process from start to finish, so stay tuned!

<><
Member #68

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
Nicely done, Cliff!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 06:25:36 PM »
Heck of a post. And you do really beautiful work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »
Looking so good!   I just want to start my grandson's .22 just don't have the time right now :(
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION