Author Topic: Home Renovations??  (Read 16112 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Home Renovations??
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 06:30:42 PM »
Awesome, this thread is delivering. I feel a little inadequate but that's okay :)

I guess I don't have that gene in me for doing things of such scale as designing AND building things like sheds and houses. I can do a little reno stuff but that's it. I finished my basement, with some help, but it was a shell already so it wasn't too hard. Time and labor intensive but it took me years to get it done. I did a little here and there. The kicker with the basement is we no longer even go down there to use the space. It has reverted back to being a catch all for my wife and kid's junk!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RG

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
Alright y'all. I finally have some pics to post. It's done thank the Lord! I only got a 360 view of the "before" and I am not sure how to share it just yet. I'll work on finding a way to share it. Until then, here's just some random pics of the during and after.

So, for starters, the old vanity was imbedded in the dang tile and mortar so I had to bust it into pieces to remove it w/o damaging the tile.

Afterwards I had to cut out the tile and mortar to square it up.

Then backer board went down

I couldn't find any tiles to match exactly so I just made an accent area out of it

Tile laid then grouted (not dehazed in picture)

Old shower valve

New one

Old Roman Tub Valve

New one

Bidet seat (love this thing, lol!)

New vanity in, no plumbing hooked up yet

Sign I made to put over the tub

Various finished pics. Trim painted, grout redone, all plumbing hooked up. Paint and walls finished. New light fixtures.

My wife made the little crate on the toilet, lol

More pics

New brushed nickel overflow drain cover and drain

It's a huge difference over what we had. It was all very "blah". Cheap vanity with a white top. We have been needing this done for a while but like everything we do around here, it always takes longer than anticipated and costs more than expected. The good thing is, is that it's done. The bad thing is, she now is redirecting her attention to the laundry room. Damn you HGTV!!!!! Chip and Joanna Gaines, I'm coming for you!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

Home Renovations??
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
Looks like you do some really nice work.

And Tee if you need me to explain what a bidet is just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Roget

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
Looks good to me RG. :thumbup:
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 05:58:56 PM »
Wow.  Outstanding work.  Looks great. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RG

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
Thanks Gents! I had really no hand in the details, I was just the labor portion of it all, lol. My wife is on the "Farmhouse" kick and it has spilled over from the kitchen and living room into the bathroom. Happy Wife = Happy Life so I just go with the flow. I do hope she gives me a little bit of a break before the Laundry Room project gets underway. We've already changed it around once. I think it's a woman thing though, wanting to redecorate and such. I think most of us men would be happy with something the way it is indefinitely. I guess familiarity breeds contempt :P

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »

Gee...thanks Pappy...but I know all about them new-fangled Your-a-peein water fountains ...... :D

And - nice job RG!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »

Gee...thanks Pappy...but I know all about them new-fangled Your-a-peein water fountains ...... :D

And - nice job RG!

Thanks Tim. I am by no means good at this stuff so I was happy that it came out fairly decent. Stephanie is happy so life is good :)

Offline Pappymn

Home Renovations??
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 09:34:36 PM »

And - nice job RG!

I was concerned you thought it was a bubbler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
Do we have any Bob Vila types amongst us? I know I certainly do not fall in that category but somehow my wife has the notion that I can do anything. Flattering? Yes. Logical? Not even close.

It doesn't stop her from getting me to go along with her shenanigans and delving into "little" projects. I am slap dab in the middle of one those projects now with hopes it'll be done this weekend, maybe sooner. She suckered me into "freshing up" our master bath. I fell for it. You would think I would've learned by now, lol.

At any rate, what are some of the things you guys and gals are doing or have done? I love seeing what people can do, it's like watching HGTV!

Write a check RG lol...….I can't fix a leaking ice cube  sad to say....wish I could
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »
Do we have any Bob Vila types amongst us? I know I certainly do not fall in that category but somehow my wife has the notion that I can do anything. Flattering? Yes. Logical? Not even close.

It doesn't stop her from getting me to go along with her shenanigans and delving into "little" projects. I am slap dab in the middle of one those projects now with hopes it'll be done this weekend, maybe sooner. She suckered me into "freshing up" our master bath. I fell for it. You would think I would've learned by now, lol.

At any rate, what are some of the things you guys and gals are doing or have done? I love seeing what people can do, it's like watching HGTV!

Write a check RG lol...….I can't fix a leaking ice cube  sad to say....wish I could

I need to redo my deck, my wife wants me to tackle it. Not happening. A check will be written, that much I know :)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 12:31:26 PM »

I need to redo my deck, my wife wants me to tackle it. Not happening. A check will be written, that much I know :)

I'll come do your deck and you can come do my bathrooms. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RG

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »

I'll come do your deck and you can come do my bathrooms.

Deal!

We can feed each other while we're at it! I always like eating other peoples cooking, lol! I may even have a few frosty adult beverages waiting on ya ;)

Offline RG

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »
Alright, so I found a way to share 360 photos here. The "Before" pics show what the bathroom looked like before the work began. I will say that the camera doesn't show the bathroom in a good light. It picks up EVERY detail, showing the hairspray overspray on the door and showing where I sprayed cleaner on the baseboards but didn't wipe them off before the picture, lol. My wife would be mad that I shared this but oh well :P

The after pictures show a bunch of yellowing ion the pictures, especially the grout which I promise you is white. My professional photographer brother in law says that it's the light bulbs. Said I need to change to "daylight" bulbs to eliminate the yellow. I'll stick with what i already have :)

Here's the before "counter" view
https://veer.tv/photos/373105

Here's the after "counter" view
https://veer.tv/photos/373128

The before "floor" view
https://veer.tv/photos/373125

The after "floor" view
https://veer.tv/photos/373129

I am pretty sure the link will need to be clicked as I don't think the board can embed a 360 picture. Hopefully they can be seen.

So, that wraps up this project. I appreciate all of the kind words and look forward to y'all sharing your projects. As I said before, I am not very good at this stuff but I am fascinated by it and LOVE seeing what people can do so please do share, even if it's just repainting a room. Thanks!!!

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »
I'm more outdoor handy, than indoor.  Pour concrete, build a paver wall, build a raise garden bed, dig some horseshoe pits, I'm your guy.  I can always swap light fixtures and sink faucets, anything more than that like drywall or even tiling I'll pass.  I'd like to give tiling a shot but with a trained pro helping guide me until I get the hang.

RG that looks really nice, I like the "wood" wall behind the sink.  I'm sure if my wife saw that we would be getting something similar, just no room for a hot tub.  Shower stall and double vanity is all we can fit, unless she wants to knock into the wall in closet, which I highly doubt.  clothes storage > hot tub.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759