Author Topic: I am all out of hobbies  (Read 13773 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
I am all out of hobbies
« Reply #-1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:15:07 AM »
I guess I just can't seem to find one that holds my interest for long. I am wired in a way that actually frustrates me and I KNOW it frustrates my wife, lol. Cooking is a hobby that I have managed to stick with, mostly because you get to eat what you've created. I have tried kayaking, it's fun but takes a lot to make it happen for us as we're not near water. Boating? Well, that's a sore subject so I'll skip over that one :P

I like making videos but it's very time consuming and most of my content is boring to anyone other than myself so why bother? I tired the drone thing and 360 camera thing, sold all of that stuff due to feeling guilty about buying it and not using it enough to justify having spent the money for it all (insert nagging wife chatter here). Motorcycles? Yep. I've bought 4 of them, sold 4 of them too! Vehicle restorations? Yep, did a Jeep a few years ago. Got it nice, she never drove it. Guess what? Sold it.

I don't know what it is, but I am chasing something to fill a void and I just can't seem to do so. Maybe this is all meant to be for a therapist's ears, lol. Maybe I am just meant to be a boring homebody . Such is life I guess.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: I am all out of hobbies
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:35:30 AM »
I guess I just can't seem to find one that holds my interest for long. I am wired in a way that actually frustrates me and I KNOW it frustrates my wife, lol. Cooking is a hobby that I have managed to stick with, mostly because you get to eat what you've created. I have tried kayaking, it's fun but takes a lot to make it happen for us as we're not near water. Boating? Well, that's a sore subject so I'll skip over that one :P

I like making videos but it's very time consuming and most of my content is boring to anyone other than myself so why bother? I tired the drone thing and 360 camera thing, sold all of that stuff due to feeling guilty about buying it and not using it enough to justify having spent the money for it all (insert nagging wife chatter here). Motorcycles? Yep. I've bought 4 of them, sold 4 of them too! Vehicle restorations? Yep, did a Jeep a few years ago. Got it nice, she never drove it. Guess what? Sold it.

I don't know what it is, but I am chasing something to fill a void and I just can't seem to do so. Maybe this is all meant to be for a therapist's ears, lol. Maybe I am just meant to be a boring homebody . Such is life I guess.
I know sorta what your talking about, but my hobbies are no longer around due to health issues.  Motocylces are out (bad knees and back)  Hockey, Golf, Hunting and so forth out same reason.   I have tried painting but contact sports were better for me (reason I'm so banged up) Fishing is still in when my hands are able to hold a rod for a few mins at a time.  Rest of my hobbies are COOKING - COOKING and making up recipes  ;)   Low carb recipes  :D :D 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »
Wow I am lucky. I love boating so much. Give it time you will find your calling. In a few more years we will all have space travel as an option lol. Like Tommy I played baseball, football & Street Hockey. Those were fun years but now I live for boating as my main hobby. RG I am sorry boating did not work for you. Keep looking & you will find it.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Roget

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
I feel your pain.
I have so many different hobbies that I can't seem to concentrate on any one of them for more than a minute. You can only cram so many hobbies into one day (along with any work you want to get done. :D :D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:42:33 AM »
I love discgolf, ball golf and took up playing bass guitar.  I started playing ball golf 30 years ago.  17.7 handicap.  Not great but I don't hit it very far.  My putting saves my @ss.  I love discgolf a lot.  I shoot 3 down to 5 up.  Not bad for my age.  I'm teaching myself bass guitar.  Not good at it but I love it.  Bought a fender mustang and bass amp.  My wife is a concert violinist (Folsom and Auburn Symphony) and is teaching me how to read music.  Love, love fishing.  Peaceful and quiet.  Don't care if I catch fish.  Love the outdoors sitting there watching my pole anticipation of catching a big one.  Salmon, trout are what I go after.  I'm a bank fishermen.  Worms and powerbait are my friends.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »
I love discgolf, ball golf and took up playing bass guitar.  I started playing ball golf 30 years ago.  17.7 handicap.  Not great but I don't hit it very far.  My putting saves my @ss.  I love discgolf a lot.  I shoot 3 down to 5 up.  Not bad for my age.  I'm teaching myself bass guitar.  Not good at it but I love it.  Bought a fender mustang and bass amp.  My wife is a concert violinist (Folsom and Auburn Symphony) and is teaching me how to read music.  Love, love fishing.  Peaceful and quiet.  Don't care if I catch fish.  Love the outdoors sitting there watching my pole anticipation of catching a big one.  Salmon, trout are what I go after.  I'm a bank fishermen.  Worms and powerbait are my friends.

We'll have to find you a riverbank for you when you get here. We have salmon and trout here. Looks like you're set.

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
My first thought was "it sounds like he needs a girlfriend" . But that probably becomes way to expensive (in more ways than just $$$!)

Not sure if you are a beer drinker, but brewing is a fascinating and rewarding hobby.  Like cooking, there's a lot to learn from a process and equipment standpoint.  It allows you to be creative and "tweak" things to make a recipe your own.  Over time, you can start developing your own recipes using your taste memory just like you do with food.  And as long as you are brewing beer...you are never without friends!  ;)

I'd be happy to help you get started if you are interested...
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:22 PM »

We'll have to find you a riverbank for you when you get here. We have salmon and trout here. Looks like you're set.

I was kinda hoping you would show me some spots. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »
The thing about fishing is that you can do it in salt or fresh water.

The thing about boating is you can sit at a dock, sleep on it, Fish on it, escape on it, cook on it, drink on it , swim off of it, Dive off of it, speed with it, Water ski off of it, scuba dive off of it, Drone off of it, bird watch off of it Star gaze off of it, travel off of it & write on it & lastly go broke on it.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 06:00:51 PM »
I'm kinda like that, RG, only my thoughts jump from grill to grill.   I have so many TYPES of grills, thinking I would love to cook "that way".
Got into sous vide, Masterbuilt, santa maria, offset, drum - variations on these in addition to the Kettle, the gasser, and the Akorn.  Most recently I bought a ceramic kamado and like to use it. So many interesting ways to cook ribs and butts...I chase 'em.
It drives Deb crazy sometimes and most of my friends can't understand why I need so many grills, but they sure love the food that comes off of them.
Their brains just don't work like mine.  That's the only way I can explain it.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 06:32:28 AM »
I'm kinda like that, RG, only my thoughts jump from grill to grill.   I have so many TYPES of grills, thinking I would love to cook "that way".
Got into sous vide, Masterbuilt, santa maria, offset, drum - variations on these in addition to the Kettle, the gasser, and the Akorn.  Most recently I bought a ceramic kamado and like to use it. So many interesting ways to cook ribs and butts...I chase 'em.
It drives Deb crazy sometimes and most of my friends can't understand why I need so many grills, but they sure love the food that comes off of them.
Their brains just don't work like mine.  That's the only way I can explain it.

I am still chasing grills, not girls, lol! The ONE grill that I want and is my unicorn is a Santa Maria style grill. I have always wanted one and have yet to get it. I see some nice ones made in Texas but the shipping is pricey and I'd have to make a spot for it. I took down our redneck above ground pool and intend to put a patio where it sat. That would be a great spot for a Santa Maria. I could make it a built in maybe with some cinder blocks but wouldn't mind finding a freestanding one if I could get a good price on one.

Which one do you have, Jaxon?

At this point I have tried many different cooker
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
I sold the Santa Maria grill because it used so much fuel and was I was always chasing temps...it was awful, but somebody else really wanted it.  LET IT GO!
I sold my Daniel Boone because it got very little use.  I have a grill ordered that I expect to use 3 to 4 times a week (we'll see how that goes).

I think if you can find something that you can do for others - maybe cooking for them - you will come closer to filling that void.  It really IS more blessed to give than to receive.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »
I agree with Jaxon!

But in the mean time with the XFL I could tailgate & go to football games like I did when I was younger......now with my Son & best friend (next to my wife).

Going to Genesis concerts-----playing baseball, football & hockey-----listening to music-------Boating------diving------fishing------& cooking not in any order plus outdoor theater those were my hobbies the last 40 years.

Now it is Boating, concerts, fishing, listening to music, & trying to get back in BYT....I must say that floating in our above ground pool is not a bad way to spend a day with my family & friends...….I love our above ground pool.

You know RG if you have a bunch of close friends near you could get into Backyard theater & combine it with cooking for a great evening of entertainment.....In fact if you are still into cooking all night......You can show movies all night to pass the time as you prepare your food..

I must add that I want a waterproof drone...…...but no money now......the boat sucks it dry lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »

You know RG if you have a bunch of close friends near you could get into Backyard theater & combine it with cooking for a great evening of entertainment.....In fact if you are still into cooking all night......You can show movies all night to pass the time as you prepare your food..

I don't have an outdoor theater but I do have a basement that has a 120 inch screen and a HD Projector and 7.1 surround that has served me well. On occasion we have guests over for football and bbq. They seem to enjoy it :)

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
I bet they do. But outside is fun too.   Did Jaws from the pool area.....Guess how many people went in...…..You are right 0
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill