Author Topic: Tritip is meh on the PBC  (Read 1626 times)

Offline dmozer74

Tritip is meh on the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
I've been grilling up the Costco rubbed Tritips on my propane grill for a few years now and I'm consistently impressed. I have been overjoyed with everything I've made so far on the Pit Barrel, and decided to try a tritip last night.  I followed the directions, but I was underwhelmed.  I found myself really missing the char on the outside of the meat.  Would I be crazy to pull the meat at 120 then put it on the grill on a super hot temp for 10 minutes or so to get that delicious char?

Offline rwalters

Tritip is meh on the PBC
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
You wouldn't be crazy at all... it's called a reverse sear... very popular cooking method.

I completely agree with your thoughts about PBC tri-tip... it's "ok", but really needs a good sear/crust added to be GOOD.

Another easy method would be to pull your TT at 120, set aside for 5 minutes, keep the lid off the PBC and return the TT when the fire is raging.  The PBC can lay down a nice sear when the fire is allowed unlimited oxygen
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Tritip is meh on the PBC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »
The PBC was probably the coolest cooker I've ever owned, just from the fact I could HANG meat and cook it, lol. Never did get the results I wanted from it though but now you've got me wanting some Tri Tip :P They're scarce in these parts :(
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:09 PM »
Yup definitely go with the reverse sear, I do it all the time on large cuts of beef. This is very similar to Tri Tip, it's Beef Picanha that I reverse seared on the PBC...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
I always reverse sear my Tri-Tip, but I would pull it from the smoker at 100 degrees internal. You sure don't want to overcook it when searing. Give yourself some "wiggle room" temp wise
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline dmozer74

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion on searing it right back on the PBC with the lid off! Gonna have to try it next weekend perhaps. This weekend is ribs and a butt.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »
I always reverse sear my Tri-Tip, but I would pull it from the smoker at 100 degrees internal. You sure don't want to overcook it when searing. Give yourself some "wiggle room" temp wise
Love reverse seared tritips!   

Like Smoke said give yourself some room to sear as far as temp goes
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
It requires a little work to get Picanha here. I have only had it a couple times on a rotesory when Albert cooked it at Jacks but that stuff is ridiculously  good...  The ladies who weren't going to eat anything else about pushed us out once they tried it!

Yup definitely go with the reverse sear, I do it all the time on large cuts of beef. This is very similar to Tri Tip, it's Beef Picanha that I reverse seared on the PBC...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"