Author Topic: "Red Neck" cooking  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: "Red Neck" cooking
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
Another thing about rednecks is there has to be an element of danger.

How about catfish, but it has to be caught by hand.
noodling?  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
"Red Neck" cooking
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Surprisingly good, inexpensive & served by two restaurants in my hometown

http://eatsouthern.blogspot.com/2010/09/pig-ear-sandwich-jackson-mississippi.html
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
I was thinking more like smoked bologna log,   Red Neck ham ,  stews and the like 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
... any recipe with Dr. Pepper...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
I think redneck cookin' should always have something fried:  Okra (pronounced "okree"), taters, chicken, green tomaters, chicken fried steak, catfish, hushpuppies, etc.   Shucks, you could deep fry the disrag and I'd eat it!  Don't never fergit that absolute acme of redneck perfection, neither -- the fried boloney sandwich:

1/4" thick slab of real boloney.  Fry in lard until nicely browned.  Put between two slices of fresh Wonder Bread along with some fresh sliced home grown tomaters and a big glob of Duke's mayo.  To make it fancy add a little salt and pepper.  Ya gotta eat this thang over the sink, though cause it'll spilt goo all over your  belly if'n ya don't.

Hub

Hub, if you take a big thick slice of a Sand Mountain tomato, one that covers the whole piece of bread, on one side and a big thick slice of Vidalia onion on the other you have gourmet redneck food.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
I don't know that we have helped much except to show you that this assignment is harder and larger than you anticipated.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
I think redneck cookin' should always have something fried:  Okra (pronounced "okree"), taters, chicken, green tomaters, chicken fried steak, catfish, hushpuppies, etc.   Shucks, you could deep fry the disrag and I'd eat it!  Don't never fergit that absolute acme of redneck perfection, neither -- the fried boloney sandwich:

1/4" thick slab of real boloney.  Fry in lard until nicely browned.  Put between two slices of fresh Wonder Bread along with some fresh sliced home grown tomaters and a big glob of Duke's mayo.  To make it fancy add a little salt and pepper.  Ya gotta eat this thang over the sink, though cause it'll spilt goo all over your  belly if'n ya don't.

Hub

Hub, if you take a big thick slice of a Sand Mountain tomato, one that covers the whole piece of bread, on one side and a big thick slice of Vidalia onion on the other you have gourmet redneck food.

You hit upon a key to "Redneck Cuisine"...I like to think of such as
''heritage foods'' born of poverty, but made very much a staple or even "haute cuisine''- such as:

fried catfish
anything made with pork belly
chili
grits
chitterlings (chitlins in the South)
ham hocks
black eyed peas

and yes....even BBQ.... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
Uh, not to sound like one, but when I was growing up rednecks didn't eat chitlins.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
Mike, I just looked for my cook book with road kill recipes.  I didn't see it so I must have loaned it to someone who was having a formal dinner.  If you want I can go to a bookstore here in Augusta and find another copy and mail it to you.  I know they don't have them in your neck of the woods.  How much time have you got before you do the cooking?  We are starting to get alot of possums on the half shell here.  We do a pretty good job cooking them but I imagine the boys in Texas maybe better than we are since they have had them longer than we have. Nepas lives in Savannah where there are alot of crabs and turtles crossing the road to Tybee Island during certain times of the year, but they get mashed flat when you run over them so they ain't enough left to even fry.  So he won't be of any help.  What do  y'all run over up there?  Maybe something you can send us down here to broaden our roadkill cooking skills.  The Turtle is right about the chitlins.  Salley, SC has the "Chitlin Strutt" every year but they don't get them from road kill.  When you hit a hog with a vehicle they vehicle looks more like road kill sometimes than the hog.  I can get you a gallon bucket of chitlins  from the grocery store if you want me to send you some.  They are already cleaned so that will save you some time in the preparation. Sorry, I can't be of more help.  Let me know if you want me to send you a book on how to prepare roadkill.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »
Dee.. That would be a great book to read!

About the only thing we hit up here are squirrels, chipmunks, deer and an occassional stupid sea gull or crow!

Mike
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 12:48:17 AM »
Mike,  I'll find you a copy.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
Thanks Dee
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)