Author Topic: what kind of sides is everyone making for T Day?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: what kind of sides is everyone making for T Day?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »

one of my favorites

I find that picture unacceptable for a family forum. :)

I don't think Pappy likes ping-pong balls in his peas! He's kinda funny'bout that stuff!   ::)

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
Only responsible for the turkey, but pretty sure wife is using her grandmother's recipe for bread stuffing, roasted green beans with parmesan cheese, cranberry/apple/orange sauce (fresh cranberries), mashed taters, gravy, relish plate and our choice of punkin or pecan pie!    All of which is to do for, which very well may happen to me IF I'm not careful how much I eat.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
Thanks for recipe! I guess others wanted it too ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
We will have the usual wild rice/Italian sausage stuffing, collards with neck bones, garlic mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, turkey gravy, Grannies creamed corn, cranberry sauce, smoked whitefish spread, pecan and pumpkin pie.  I am getting hungry looking at all this and other posts.   As usual, I will overeat, and wish the vegans well.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »

one of my favorites

I find that picture unacceptable for a family forum. :)
what did you do to them peas? supposed to be round and firm...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
Just simple - only me and the missus
  • Stuffing with Jimmy Dean sage sausage
  • Mashed potatoes with sour cream and mayonnaise topped with a Champagne/onion reduction sauce

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 12:59:35 AM »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Pam, will you share your oyster dressing?   Love it--made it once and I had to eat it all--loved it, but rest of family will not allow seafood anything to cross their lips, especially oysters--even had to give up on the old German tradition of Oyster Stew after midnight service Christmas Eve.    Such is life, I guess with you live with flatlanders! 

Here's a different twist on dressing (stuffing--only don't stuff it).  Have mentioned before wife is from the Four Corners area, lot of growing up on a pinto bean farm.    A group up in the area published a Pinto Bean cookbook many, many years ago (wife was given cookbook for a wedding present, and we've been married 52+ years).   In there is a recipe for pinto bean dressing as follows:    2 cups mashed pinto beans, 1 cup corn bread crumbs, 1 cup white bread crumbs, 1 medium onion, diced, 1/4 cup diced celery, 1 cube of Oleo (who remembers what that is?) or butter, 1 tsp savory salt, 1 tbs savory salt, 1 tbs poultry seasoning, water or meat broth (no quantity given--guessing til it's the right consistency).   Combine and bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes til onion and celery are tender.     

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »
Pam, will you share your oyster dressing?   Love it--made it once and I had to eat it all--loved it, but rest of family will not allow seafood anything to cross their lips, especially oysters--even had to give up on the old German tradition of Oyster Stew after midnight service Christmas Eve.    Such is life, I guess with you live with flatlanders! 

Here's a different twist on dressing (stuffing--only don't stuff it).  Have mentioned before wife is from the Four Corners area, lot of growing up on a pinto bean farm.    A group up in the area published a Pinto Bean cookbook many, many years ago (wife was given cookbook for a wedding present, and we've been married 52+ years).   In there is a recipe for pinto bean dressing as follows:    2 cups mashed pinto beans, 1 cup corn bread crumbs, 1 cup white bread crumbs, 1 medium onion, diced, 1/4 cup diced celery, 1 cube of Oleo (who remembers what that is?) or butter, 1 tsp savory salt, 1 tbs savory salt, 1 tbs poultry seasoning, water or meat broth (no quantity given--guessing til it's the right consistency).   Combine and bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes til onion and celery are tender.     
Alien..of course I will share..very simple to make...I find the simpler stuff tastes the best.
I saute equal parts of onion and celery. lots of them. 2 days before I set out bread to dry, then the next  day turn it over. You can dry it in the oven too. Then I cook the turkey giblets and make stock, cut up the giblets  and mix all together. I also add chicken broth if you want it moister. Then cook it in the oven or roaster works real well, or crock pot. Crock pot takes longer. add oysters, if you want a stronger oyster flavor run them thru the magic bullet or ninja and puree,,or just cut them up in smaller pieces and add to mix. Takes a lil over an hour in oven, 2-3 hours in a crock pot. enjoy. you can add a lil sage or rosemary if you like it. My family doesn't like it tho. Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
All we have to bring is Apple Pie.

Going to my wife's cousins house in Calabasas.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven