Author Topic: Valentine's Day Rack of Lamb  (Read 3231 times)

Offline MoHuka

Valentine's Day Rack of Lamb
« Reply #-1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
O, will try again to see if Photobucket stays with me this time.  Valentine's day started off great by finding a bottle of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition on the table with a nice card from my wife and another card from my Lab Keelo...seems Susan taught her to write while I was in Saudi.  I bought a Rack of Lamb at Restaurant Depot and rubbed it down with a paste made of fresh Thyme and Rosemary, garlic, Cavender's and olive oil.  Wrapped in plastic and in the fridge over night.  I started on the REC TEC at 180F to get some smoke and after an hour kicked it up to 275F until reaching an IT of 145F.  Wind was howling with a WC of below zero but the RT held temp with no problem.  ROL turned out fantastic.  It was tender, flavorful and just a hint of smoke....Served with Stouffer's Scallop Potatoes, Salas and our favorite Carnivore Cab....

Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: Valentine's Day Rack of Lamb
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
Great job on that rack of lamb and a very appetizing looking dinner.

Your method of  the REC TEC at 180F to get some smoke and after an hour kicked it up to 275F until reaching an IT of 145F  sounds good.

I am going to try it instead of direct / indirect grill method.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »
Looks and sounds delicious - very nice!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:29:20 PM »
Stunning.  Good choice of whisky too.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
Mo, that rack of lamb looks delicious and is perfectly cooked.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:38 PM »
Lookin real good..just started drinking Scotch, single malt, not sure if I like it yet.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
Lookin real good..just started drinking Scotch, single malt, not sure if I like it yet.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Pam, I started drinking scotch back in the 60's in Tehran, Iran of all places.  Had some ex-pats from Beatrice Foods introduce me to it and started me out drinking lite scotch and sodas with instructions to advance to scotch and water and on to the rocks as I developed the taste for it.  I don't even use ice when drinking a good single malt scotch like this Lagavulin.....sometimes in the summer I will use "whiskey rocks" to cool it down without diluting..
I worked Fort Knox a few years ago and really got into good Bourbons and still enjoy several of them but when I taste a good scotch like this Lagavulin it is like coming home..ha
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »
Stunning...Absolutely "fine dining" Mo ;) You have done a beautiful job there. And, well - your choice of spirits is top shelf!

[/b]

Pam, start with Mercurochrome, then Merthiolate ...then work up to straight Iodine - then you will be primed to enjoy a single malt.....just kidding. It is one of those tastes that you either like or you do not, but you do need some time and exposure to the good stuff to decide what you like. The Islay types tend to be " smoky. peaty, and even a bit briny"....I like them on the right occasions. :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »
Rack of lamb looks good Mo!!! Nice gift from the wife!!! I used to drink bourbon all the time and had a lot of hangovers! While in Alaska a buddy told me to drink scotch and no hangovers. He was right; just get up in the morning and take a big cold drink of water and you was right up there high again!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »
[smart a$$ comment ahead] Referring to it as "Scotch" is redundant.  It is simply whisky (not whiskey).  Other varieties need denoted by ethnicity.  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
Beautiful meal
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
I never developed the taste for Islay. But, I did enjoy a good highland single malt. Wonderful gift!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:20 PM »
Top notch!!  Man that lamb looks phenomenal! 

Ardbeg has been one of my favorites for a long time, then had a friend give me a bottle of the Lagavulin 16 year... I'm in love!   James and I are going to Great Britain on honeymoon this August-- I'm thinking a trip to Islay needs to happen!    :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
[smart a$$ comment ahead] Referring to it as "Scotch" is redundant.  It is simply whisky (not whiskey).  Other varieties need denoted by ethnicity.  ;D
[/b]
Sounds like someone has "ethno-insecurity issues".... :D :D :D Seriously - "whiskey/whisky...tomato/tomatoe" - I am certain that folks with names like Jameson ( their being  of Irish descent...) would fight you for the title of who originated what, when and where.... :D.

Therefore - when one orders a "whiskey/whisky" - outside of either Ireland, or Scotland ....( let alone TN or KY... ::))- one better darn well know what kind they want - or the bar staff will indubitably doubt you know the difference.... ;)  Let alone the origins or significance. ;D  8)

James and I are going to Great Britain on honeymoon this August-- I'm thinking a trip to Islay needs to happen!    :) 

A great trip! Enjoy the haggis... ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
Mmmmmmm........haggis
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle