Author Topic: Smoked Meatloaf  (Read 792 times)

Offline Tenpoint5

Smoked Meatloaf
« Reply #-1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
We enjoyed the Smoking Monkey's version of Smoked Meatloaf made from this recipe at the Midwest Smoke Out. I have been asked by a couple people for the recipe. Since I had loaned out my copy of the cookbook, that the recipe came out of. I had to wait until I finally got it back. Which I did so here goes how I made the Smoked Meatloaf. You can adjust and make changes yourself.

First you get a copy of the cookbook! The recipe is on page 86!  ;D ;D I will give you the recipe. However, I consider each of the Authors as friends of mine. Please support them and purchase a copy of their cookbook for your own library. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/addictedtobbq

Once you get your veggies all diced up. Onion, Celery, Green Pepper, and Garlic.

You saute them in some butter till they is soft

You mix up the seasoning blend. (Yours will be different then mine, I didn't have or couldn't find some of the ingredients from the recipe. So I improvised)

You get your 2 pounds of meat mixture. Mine was a Venison and Beef fat mixture I made last winter.

Realize you don't have any small foil pans to put the Meatloaf in. But remember the foil drip pans you have in the smoking cupboard for a grill that doesn't work anymore. Spray it with cooking spray

Cut drain holes in the bottom for the fats to drain out. This step is a whole lot easier if you do it before you mix all the stuff together and place the resulting loaf in the pan. Just Say'n!

I wanted to be a little different. I added some Zach's Hickory rub underneath and on top of the BACON!! Lay bacon across the top of the meatloaf.

At first I wasn't going to apply the glaze. After a quick call to Sonny. I was informed that the glaze is what makes the meatloaf. That comment rattled my brain and I remembered that yeah the glaze was pretty dang good. So I warmed up the Dragon Lady to 350º. (Set your grill up for indirect heat) and applied a coat of the glaze

Once the IT of the Meatloaf reached 147º I applied a second coat of Glaze and let that set until the IT got to 163º. A beer can with hole in the top caused me to miss the 160º mark I was shooting for.  :o

At 160ish pull it out and let it rest tented in foil for 15 minutes

After slicing

And plating. You feel your wife giving you the Hairy Eyeball, because YOU, in all of your infinite wisdom, forgot to make a STARCH to go with supper!! So supper is ruined. Throw it all in the thrash and chalk it off as a bad mistake!!

YEAH RIGHT LIKE THAT FLIPPEN HAPPENED!! The kids and I HAMMERED this thing. Except for the picky one who seen Momma picking out the green peppers.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Tenpoint5

Re: Smoked Meatloaf
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Michael's Meatloaf, courtesy of Bobs at Addicted to BBQ

1 TBSP Butter
1/2 Cup Onion chopped fine
2 Cloves Garlic chopped fine
1/2 Cup Celery chopped fine
1/4 Cup Green Bell pepper chopped fine
1/4 Cup Red Bell pepper chopped fine
3 TBSP Scallions chopped
2 lb Meatloaf mix (1lb Beef, 1/2 lb Pork, 1/2 lb Veal)
6-8 slices Bacon
2 Large Eggs
2 TBSP Chives chopped
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper flakes
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Basil
1/4 Tsp Oregano
1/2 Cup Half & Half (Or Whole Milk)
3/4 Cup Fresh Toasted Breadcrumbs

Preheat grill to 350º for indirect cooking with a drip pan. Extra smoke is an option, try first without and adjust from there.

Melt butter in pan and saute onion, garlic, celery, red & green pepper, and scallions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool before adding to mix. Combine eggs, half & half and all spices. Add all ingredients to meat and mix well.

Place meat into two (2) foil loaf pans that have had holes punched in the bottom. This allows the fat to drip away while cooking. Brush on half of the glaze (see below) and add bacon strips crosswise, tucking ends beneath the loaf. Cook for about 40-50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160º. Add glaze again in last 15 minutes of cooking.

Meatloaf Glaze

1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce
4 TBSP Brown Sugar
3 TBSP White Vinegar
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »
I am gonna get a cook-book just because I enjoyed reading this post so much!!!  ;)  and i loved the usage of Hairy Eyeball and I love meatloaf!!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
Need to make me a loaf!

Looks great Chris ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
That book is a "must have"! Great job Chris!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »
tenpoint5..looks perfect to me.  ; *))
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie