Author Topic: Your Favorite Bar?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Hub

Your Favorite Bar?
« Reply #-1 on: April 15, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
Have you ever had a favorite bar?  The proverbial place "where everybody knows your name" and you maybe even had a spot that nobody but you sat in?  Some of us have.  If so, you might enjoy this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-most-iconic-bar-in-every-state-and-dc-116323911581.html

Maybe you've been to some of these.  I have only been to one.  My favorites weren't famous but they were handy and friendly.  In a couple of them I had the bartender trained to start mixing my drink when he saw me walk in the door (usually a little after five, after work).  I've been poured out of some and even thrown out of some, but I do love the basic bar.

Bottoms Up  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Your Favorite Bar?
« on: April 15, 2015, 12:17:54 PM »
The Cowboy Palace in North Hollywood. Walked in there with a buddy that rode bulls (happened to be a buddy of "color") someone said "what is that n##### doing in here"......after that guy got an attitude adjustment out back and everyone found out my buddy rode, he got free beers whenever he came in there and was treated like a celebrity .  The place is now a hispanic nightclub.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »
I had too many favorite bars over the years. I have not been to one in ages. I worked afternoons for about 15 years and the bars was our recreation. I suppose my favorite all time bar was the NCO club in King Salmon Alaska. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Well since I don't drink anymore, I'd have to say the breakfast bar at Shoney's  :D :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »
Took a quick look at the list - been to a few - notably Peacock Alley in ND, The Cowboy in WY, and Wolskis in WI.

However, my favorite was / is a very small bar in Racine WI. - Kelsey's. Back when I lived there it was run by a grumpy guy that would not serve you another drink until you finished the first. No fruit and according to him no fruit flies. But he did have the single best collection of scotches between the coasts.

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »
Never been to any and don't go to bar much anymore especially since I am married.  The Philly "city wide special" is awesome, had it at a few places but not the one mentioned. In college there were 3 bars I didn't need ID for because they knew me.  Most of the time if they saw me coming, hard to do at a massive 5' 3", they would get me at one place, a lager (Yuengling) and a shot of sambucca, another a car bomb and their version of a snake bite (half Harp and half Woodchuck), and the third some sort a good local seasonal depending on the time of year.

Ahh the college days of $15 being enough for drink and food for a night.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
Packies.  North 1st street, Eureka, CA.  '76 - '82.  Shore bar.  USCG Station, Kodiak, AK.  '74 - '76.  Only throw in the brig once.  Maybe twice?   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline nylic76

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »
Tommy's Bar in Kadena Circle on Okinawa.  Spent lots of time there in 1961-62,  I was young (19), invincible, and immortal.  To walk in the bar, you had to walk across a wooden platform over an open benjo (sewage) ditch running along the edge of the street.  It was no problem going in, but sometimes coming out you stepped off the platform (can't imagine why).  My houseboy was not a happy camper the next day when he had to clean and shine my shoes.   ::)
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
I had a Mexican restaraunt that had a bar in it. My ex wife and I would go in every Friday and as soon as I sat down two Margeritas were brought to the table exactly how we liked them. Does that count? :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:33 PM »
I've only been to two of the bars on the list....Tootsie's in Nashville and The Broken Spoke in Austin. As a matter of fact, when I was going to The University of Texas back in '66-'72, I lived in an apartment complex right behind The Broken Spoke. Spent a lot of time there and even made some money playing music there. There is a room off the dance floor which serves as the Broken Spoke Hall of Fame and Texas Tourist Trap. Not braggin' too much, but my picture hangs on the wall in there along with a few other musicians that have played there from Hank Williams to Willie Nelson. OK, I wasn't in those guys league, but I was in a group that recorded a live album there. It would have been a big hit except for the fact that we put it out on the Oral Roberts label and the hole in the center kept healing up.

A little story. All the musicians that played the Spoke loved the acoustics in the building. Best dance hall acoustics I have been in. The city of  Austin condemned the roof of the building because of all the leaks and weak structure. It was just a country dance hall and beer joint. They were going to try to make James White, the owner, tear it down. He refused and there was a pretty large battle in the newspaper and on country radio. Well, since all the Texas legislators got drunk hung out there and didn't want to loose this venue, they figured out the solution. They made the City of Austin let James White build a freestanding metal roof ( a pole barn, if you will) over the entire existing building without touching a single board of the original building saving the acoustics and the ambiance inside. Problem solved. Also, they serve the best chicken fried steak in Texas.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 09:32:50 PM »
I have seen to get three, the Flora-Bsma, Tootsey's and Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. All good.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »
I'm both proud and ashamed to say I've been overserved in 14 of those places (and one or two others sound vaguely familiar).  Don't know that any of them qualified as a "favorite bar" or even the most "iconic" bar in the city in which they're located, but by and large they do have some character. Some, however, like Sloppy Joe's in Key West, have become touristy parodies of themselves and I don't think they're really worth going to any more. I'd pick the Menger Hotel in San Antonio over almost any of them (tourists notwithstanding).

McSorley's Old Ale House...... NEW YORK CITY ...
Used to go to McSorley's when I was in college (in the mid-late 60s for those of you who can remember that far back).  Now that was an iconic bar. Great place, great beer, great prices (back then), and great atmosphere although they didn't allow women inside in those days (even though the owner was a woman).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:38:34 AM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 11:21:56 PM »
" I was in a group that recorded a live album there. It would have been a big hit except for the fact that we put it out on the Oral Roberts label and the hole in the center kept healing up."

THAT is one I have not heard in a couple of decades! :D :D :D :D

I am with the Turtle on the Menger. THE place Teddy Roosevelt hang out while gathering men to join his Rough Riders. Lot of other famous folks have graced the place. To call it "cozy" seems too large.

But - there is a really special place in Mexico City - near the Zona Rosa - that is a piece of England. Crazy - but, incredible food, atmosphere and the service is top drawer.  Sir Winston Churchill's:  http://winstonchurchills.com Better English food than I ever had in England ;) ;D

Of course...there was that little place in San Salvador, that I don't even think had a name...but too many bullets passed thru it.  :)

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 01:07:14 AM »
" I was in a group that recorded a live album there. It would have been a big hit except for the fact that we put it out on the Oral Roberts label and the hole in the center kept healing up."

THAT is one I have not heard in a couple of decades! :D :D :D :D

Tim, if you think that one is corny, stick around. I've got 25 minutes worth of corny country jokes and a few country comedy songs thrown in.

Turtle and Tim, I agree that the Menger Hotel bar is an excellent bar. Way out of my class, but an excellent bar.