Author Topic: (Not) Fried Okra  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
(Not) Fried Okra
« Reply #-1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
Ok. Im from the south and I grew up on okra.  I know, it's slimy...but I loves it.  One of my favorite comfort food combinations is mac n cheese and fried okra.  Ive looked at doing mac n cheese in my Yoder, which of course is easily doable but what about the okra?

There lies my question: How can I bread or otherwise get some "crunch" into the cut okra while imparting smoke into the flavor? Smoked Okra...with a crunch!

If anyone has even an inkling I'd be awfully appreciative!
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline Ka Honu

Re: (Not) Fried Okra
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
I don't know how you'd get breaded okra crunchy on a grill or smoker except maybe (I say again, "maybe") in an infrared cooker like a Char Broil TBE/SRG.  Alternatively you might consider:

1.  slicing and cold-smoking the okra before breading and frying in the traditional manner or
     2.  cold-smoking the cornmeal before prepping the okra traditionally.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »

I'll be watching to see how this turns out!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
Hey John!

1. Remove Heat deflector from your Yoder 640

2. Set temp on your Yoder to 600F and allow it 30 minutes to come to temp

3.Put skillet above burn pot - and place your lit Amazin Smoker on the right side of the  burn pot - just enough to avoid catching fire

4. Place cast iron skillet with approx. 1/2'' of il in the skillet

5. Allow oil to come up to temp - 350F ought to do it - verify with temp probe thermometer and test piece of battered okra.

6. Adjust Yoder temp to match oil temp or a bit higher to offset for loss of BTU in heat transfer from grill to skillet.

7. COOK THE OKRA......

8. Eat the okra...and laugh at Yankees that have not discovered the pleasure thereof :D :D :D ( Just kidding my northern BBQ brothers!)

What did we do? Added a bit of smoke to the oil, and added smoke via the Amazin' Smoker plus any smoke from the Yoder. ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
Well I knew this was not gonna be an easy one...a bit crazy I guess really.  I have baked frozen breaded okra in the oven at a decently high temp before and it comes out OK when sprayed with a bit of oil.  I think I may go down Ka Honu's direction.  Cold smoke the cut okra and possibly the cornmeal (not really sure how I'd do that with great affect.)  Then somehow coat the okra pieces so that the breading really sticks to it well and then even freeze them before spraying with oil and baking??
I've heard that using copious amounts of corn starch in the breading mixture is the secret to getting really crunchy fried chicken.  But how to get the breading to really stick to the okra? Hmmm...
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »

What if you set aside some extra okra and purposly overcook it.   Strain the 'snot' out and toss the smoked okra in that so it acts as a glue, then toss in the cornmeal?

I've seen someone use okra 'snot' that way before, but I can't remember where.....

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »

I've seen someone use okra 'snot' that way before, but I can't remember where.....

That brings up a whole new idea: Smoked Okra Snot! ...beverage of Champions!
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
Quote from: teesquare
8. Eat the okra...and laugh at Yankees that have not discovered the pleasure thereof :D :D :D ( Just kidding my northern BBQ brothers!)

Hey, I love fried okra! So,  you can't laugh at this Yankee... well, at least not for this!   ;D

Hornzbee give this a try:

1) Whir some corn flakes up in a food processor into a cornmeal like texture. Add a little salt, pepper, paprika and a few drops of cooking oil to the cornflake crumbs and whir them a little more to distribute the oil & seasonings.

2) Clean & slice your okra. Dip it in an egg wash then toss & coat well in the seasoned cornflake crumbs.

3) Place the okra on a cookie sheet and bake them in a hot, dry grill (400°+) until done. They should crisp up nicely.

We do this with pork chops & chicken breast and they come out crispy, almost as if they were fried and the flavor is really good too.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »

Hornzbee give this a try:

1) Whir some corn flakes up in a food processor into a cornmeal like texture. Add a little salt, pepper, paprika and a few drops of cooking oil to the cornflake crumbs and whir them a little more to distribute the oil & seasonings.

2) Clean & slice your okra. Dip it in an egg wash then toss & coat well in the seasoned cornflake crumbs.

3) Place the okra on a cookie sheet and bake them in a hot, dry grill (400°+) until done. They should crisp up nicely.

We do this with pork chops & chicken breast and they come out crispy, almost as if they were fried and the flavor is really good too.

Yeah thats what I initially thought up, minus the cornflakes and paprika...thanks, good idea. I do like the cold smoking idea as well.  So thats what I think I'll do: Cold smoke then follow your idea. Thanks again.... I'll let y'all know.
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
... Cold smoke the cut okra and possibly the cornmeal (not really sure how I'd do that with great affect.)

Cold-smoking the cornmeal is easy - just like any other "fine-grained" product (salt, etc.), spread it on a coffee filter and stir occasionally.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »

Cold-smoking the cornmeal is easy - just like any other "fine-grained" product (salt, etc.), spread it on a coffee filter and stir occasionally.

Aha! That is what I'll do.  Triple smoked, bake-fried okra.  Maybe Im onto a real, original gem here....maybe.

Also, if someone has a different, macaroni and cheese recipe with great badassiness that'd do well in the Yoder I'd be appreciative as well...just a thought.  Thanks everyone!
Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf