Author Topic: Beer and homebrewing picture dump  (Read 773 times)

Offline Jo3sh

Beer and homebrewing picture dump
« Reply #-1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »
So over in my introduction thread, there was some interest expressed in finding out about my homebrewing endeavors. I just dumped my phone's camera to disk and uploaded all the beer-related images to imgur, so here are about a hundred-plus pictures to dig through. I have not cut this down much at all, so it's likely pretty repetitive. Feel free to ask questions if you see anything you want more info on. I may pick out some individual pictures later on and post them directly for you all to see.

http://imgur.com/a/NmcBg#0

Hey, you said you do 10 gal all-grain batches.  What do conduct the mashes/lauter in?  And boil? How do you cool the wort? Ive always done all my mashes in 5gal cornelius kegs with stainless false bottoms.  I actually have a couple old 10gal cornelius kegs(ball lock) but didnt want to cut them up for mashing.  My wish is for a RIMS system but the cost is a bit much.  Actually what I truly want is a true 1bb brew system with a couple conical glycol jacketed fermenters.  THAT would make me very happy yet make the wife very angry.

My brew rig (see the album above) is based on three half-barrel beer kegs with the tops cut out and some fittings welded in. I don't use a full false bottom in my mashtun anymore; I use a tube of stainless screening. It works great for my batch sparge process and I don't get grain under the false bottom any more. I built a brew stand out of angle iron and terrible, terrible welding. The stand has three propane burners on it fed by 20PSI regulators; I don't know for sure how much heat they put out, but I am guessing it's something like 170,000 BTU each at full throttle.

I chill by recirculating iced water through a plate chiller. In theory, I should be able to get 10 gallons of boiling wort down to about 68 degrees in a reasonable time, but really, I am still working on that part of it. If you look through the images carefully, you will no doubt see several variations of the basic rig; all I can say is that it's still growing and changing as time goes by.

RIMS or HERMS I am still thinking about. With ten-gallon batches, I lose little enough heat that it's not really an issue, but if I were doing stepped mashes or smaller batches, it would be more important.
Join me in the War on Pigs! Together, we can rid the world of the porcine scourge.

Offline CaptJack

Re: Beer and homebrewing picture dump
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »
King of the OldSmokey