Author Topic: Quality: The MAK Legacy.....  (Read 5535 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Quality: The MAK Legacy.....
« Reply #-1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:17:02 AM »
I am fortunate to own MAK #48. I bought it - and it was a few years old then - from nepas, and o only then because he was moving into a motor home. What  a luck break I was getting - and did not know it....
It was shipped to MAK, where the belly was replaced with stainless ( originally the first few had a powder coated steel lower end )and cart were replaced with and the cart was refinished with the current black and grey splatter/marbled finish, unfit electronic to include the WiFi module.
ANd...I used the 2 star to do everything I could think of....( have you ever smoke-dried your underwear...? Don't knock it 'til you ty it! :D :D :D ) Seriously - I lost count after about 400 hours of use. But - I was not as neat as I could have been - and would overload the pit - such that the meats would drip outside of the area of the drip pan - so all of that eventually became this black, armor plating about 3/8" thick - that could be a replacement for DU ( Depleted Uranium) armor on M-1 Abrams tanks.... ;D

So...when "that day" came - as it invariably does...when one's conscience collides with reality ....I wen full OCD x Anal Retentive + busted knuckles and tore the MAK down for not only a "restorative cleaning" - but to perform a couple of upgrades: 1. the stainless front shelf. and 2. the new Flash-Fire ignition kit that replaced the hot-rod style ignitors. This should prevent the one part that pellet grill owners all know - they should keep a spare on hand....
Because the years of hard use were showing on old #48, the stainless steel had some scratches that were minor- but obvious. And the original finish has now been replaced with a  "DA 120" finish. This is one that is not as shiny - and just looks better. Less glare, and just less critical looking. I like it a lot.
Here is the hood before, half-way thru and after sanding and re-finishing with a dual action air sander and 120 grit sandpaper:

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
Re: Quality: The MAK Legacy.....
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:24:22 AM »
SO I had to clean the inside too... The entire interior was BLACK...and had very heavy deposits. Not grease...but baked on carbon. I disconnected the left and right wings ( electronics on the left and smoker box on the right) and focused on smoking the interior with a Citrus based cleaner from owes that is not caustic - and rinsed way cleanly.
I use a paint scraper, charcoal grey paint stripping pads and a small steel wire brush.

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »
And...time to put her back together! I want to thank Bruce, Katrina Bob and Matt, and CJ for for the parts each of them played in talking me thru this - and for making the BEST part of an awesome product even better...the support!

Clearly - MAKS are designed to not have to be replaced, and they can be up-graded at will. But -  the genuine care that the people of MAK Grills show the customer.... is priceless.

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:59:34 AM »
Gosh, tee, if you ship that wonderful machine to me within the next month I'll be your new best friend forever (along with Art, of course), never say another derogatory thing about Aggies, and I won't publish the pictures from that "gentleman's club" in New Orleans.

If you don't, I'll come to Carolina to discuss the issue so we can negotiate a mutually agreeable outcome. Tell Kay to make sure your home and life insurance policies are paid up, put her valuables in off-site storage, and take a solo vacation somewhere far away (with witnesses).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:00:35 AM »
She looks pretty Tee!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline rwalters

Quality: The MAK Legacy.....
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
Once again, that is a very impressive job you did on that ole MAK!! I'd be afraid to dirty it after all that hard work ;-)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 04:08:57 AM »
Wow an Awesome job ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:09:43 AM »
Nice job on the restoration! I'm jealous  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline stalag

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 06:37:52 AM »
Gosh, tee, if you ship that wonderful machine to me within the next month I'll be your new best friend forever (along with Art, of course), never say another derogatory thing about Aggies, and I won't publish the pictures from that "gentleman's club" in New Orleans.

If you don't, I'll come to Carolina to discuss the issue so we can negotiate a mutually agreeable outcome. Tell Kay to make sure your home and life insurance policies are paid up, put her valuables in off-site storage, and take a solo vacation somewhere far away (with witnesses).

You might need to pull an insurance policy on me from laughing to death..........
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 07:36:19 AM »
Nice to see people taking care of their equipment and good write up of the longevity of the MAK.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:17:59 AM »

Hang in there Sunshine...your next dose of meds is just a few hours away. :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 08:24:26 AM »
The new Flash-Fire ignition system has been covered by Tenthunter here:  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=16651.msg221301#msg221301

Thanks guys! It took about a week of part-time cleaning. I would scrape a little, spray some of the Citrus grill cleaner, scrub with a brush - and let it sit overnight. Not a fast approach, but I will NEVER allow my grill to get that caked up again.  ;)

Here are some pictures of the installed Flash Fire unit ( should have taken some "before" pics of the unit itself...sorry- ) and the new fire pot. The advantage of this over traditional "hot rod" type systems? Durability and SPEED...Watch the video on Tent's thread above and you will not believe how fast the pellets start smoldering. That will reduce your time - to - set point temp by 1/2 or more. ;)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:46:24 AM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »
Oooooh... It's shiny again!  Nice cleaning job. Tee that grill looks new on the outside.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »
Cliff - the quality of the metal makes a difference. Good components = longevity.

And - many know this..some may not - but MAK will not even buy a screw from China. And -t eh screws they use are of a high grade, non rusting stainless too!

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
Great job Tee. There is a fireplace store down the hill that I frequent for our wood stove and they have a Mak 1 star on the sales floor. That beauty screams quality even from a distance..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32