Author Topic: Quality: The MAK Legacy.....  (Read 5536 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Quality: The MAK Legacy.....
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 12:10:42 PM »
Great job Tee. There is a fireplace store down the hill that I frequent for our wood stove and they have a Mak 1 star on the sales floor. That beauty screams quality even from a distance..............
MAK is just a different kind of grill company. They really do not care to be the LARGEST...just the best ;)

SO...the time for testing my ability to re-assemble, and re-connect all the wiring is now. ( Truthfully - the wiring is all marked - and color coded....you really would have to work hard to screw it up. But - I am talented in those ways....so if I can manage do correctly it - then a blind one-armed chimpanzee can do it. :D )

What to cook...? I have some Conecuh that I picked up at the factory store in ...where else? Conecuh Co. Alabama! We were on the way back from New Orleans and...I had to stop in to the Holy Tabernacle of Sausage Making.... 8) and pick up some Hickory Spicy

And look at the MAK 2 Star put out that beautiful blue smoke on the SMOKE setting!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 02:17:56 PM »
Dang, Tee, you did that grill proud!!  Looks brand new!  I love the new 'brushed steel' look of the new grills, and hiding little scratches is another bonus. 

Cliff - the quality of the metal makes a difference. Good components = longevity.

And - many know this..some may not - but MAK will not even buy a screw from China. And -t eh screws they use are of a high grade, non rusting stainless too!

True, no China made screws here!   There are a couple of tiny exceptions to that rule--we make every effort to buy each and every bit that goes into our grills in America to support American jobs--from the metal to the powder coat to the wheels.  However, there are a couple of items that we are unable to source from the States. I believe it's just a couple of little components that go into the control board that aren't USA made, and that's only because there simply isn't a source here for them.  The boards themselves, however, are made locally here in Oregon, as are the rest of the grills.

Our parent company, MAK Metals, started out doing precision sheet metal work, and carried over that expertise into engineering and producing the grills.  We've got kind of a fun video showing some of the processes that go into the making of each grill here if anyone is interested:   
  I know a few of you on the forum have gotten to tour the factory and have seen the robots and welders in action-- it's quite the sight! 

We went through the Made in USA Certified process a few years ago, which detailed out the sources of every single item that goes into making a MAK.  It was a very lengthy and involved process, but proved that we do indeed source everything possible from the US, and earned their seal of approval.
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
Tee,
Great job on your MAK 2 Star.  I think you need some more practice.  Mine is available so you can sharpen your skills. 

Seriously, I need to give mine a thorough cleaning, and possibly do some upgrading.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
Cliff - the quality of the metal makes a difference. Good components = longevity.

And - many know this..some may not - but MAK will not even buy a screw from China. And -t eh screws they use are of a high grade, non rusting stainless too!

Yep, you are pointing out what I think is the BIGGEST hidden difference that most people overlook when comparing grills. There IS a very good reason that MAK grills are priced where they are.  Every single little part on a MAK is the highest quality. There are NO corners cut at all, and that includes their unmatched customer support.

The bottom line is with a MAK you are getting what you paid for! :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Quality: The MAK Legacy.....
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
Great post Tee. Now come clean mine. Seriously, if you ever find yourself in Dallas, Oregon. Stop into Mak. I stopped in a few years back, walked in the door, and introduced myself as Mak #1,000. Even got a tour. Just great friendly folks.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »
Pappy.....I can't be bought - but I can be rented...Keep the steaks coming and I may give lessons.... :D

I will be in your neck of the woods on 1 August for a few days. Perhaps we could grab a burger and beverage? PM me..... Maybe we could get a few of the Minnesota/Mid-West Grilling Mafia together for a meal?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline stalag

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 09:41:36 PM »
Pappy.....I can't be bought - but I can be rented...Keep the steaks coming and I may give lessons.... :D

I will be in your neck of the woods on 1 August for a few days. Perhaps we could grab a burger and beverage? PM me..... Maybe we could get a few of the Minnesota/Mid-West Grilling Mafia together for a meal?
So do you take guests bearing gifts?
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

So do you take guests bearing gifts?

Of course! Geeks, Greeks...or cooking freaks! :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 10:31:24 PM »
Tee,
Great job on your MAK 2 Star.  I think you need some more practice.  Mine is available so you can sharpen your skills. 

Seriously, I need to give mine a thorough cleaning, and possibly do some upgrading.

Art

Art you are close enough ... that we could do work on yours! Just let me know.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 12:26:39 AM »
Nice looking results.... If I tried that on my Grill, it would fall apart!

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
Nice work. We have a big party this week so both MAK Grills #68 and #186 will be at full song. Then #68 is getting similar treatment. I may have to try your stainless refinish.