Author Topic: My MAK cooks  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: My MAK cooks
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
Very tasty looking cooks and thanks for showing.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 08:28:28 PM »
I did do the reverse searing of my ribeyes on the MAK and they turned out great.  However, next time I'll probably just sear them on my gas grill with my Grill Grates.  It just took too long for the MAK to get up to searing temp (and when the steaks look that good, patience is not a virtue).  I will continue to use my gas grill for basic stuff (like hot dogs, brats, and burgers), but I did use my MAK griddle for searing up some bison burgers. 

So basically, I'll be using my MAK for smoking and baking and my gas grill for high heat, quick cooks.

Something I discovered a while back.. Put your Grill Grates in your MAK. I have enough to cover the main cooking area of mine. If I set the temp not he MAK to 350F - I can get decent grill marks. That's right 350F! SO experiment with the grill grates in your MAK....you may find a combination that will surprise you ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
Very Nice, someday I'll have a MAK!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:28:05 PM »
Not quite sure how to correctly get the quote in my post, but I'll definitely have to try the grill grates on my MAK at 350 and see what happens.  Thanks for the information.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:38:49 PM »
Not quite sure how to correctly get the quote in my post, but I'll definitely have to try the grill grates on my MAK at 350 and see what happens.  Thanks for the information.

Most welcome! That is what we are ALL here for - to exchange ideas, share experiences, and recipes. Ad - @ 350F you will get marks. If you want heavier grill marks - you can turn up the temp.

To insert a quote - look just above the post "box" that you wish to insert into you next post. There is an option for "quote". Click on that and your reply box should pop up with he quoted text in it.
Or - if you go to reply - look below the box that you will be typing your text in - and you will see - in reverse order - all of the previous posts in that thread.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
You are off to a great start with your Mak, all fine looking BBQ!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline rwalters

My MAK cooks
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 11:51:25 PM »
I did do the reverse searing of my ribeyes on the MAK and they turned out great.  However, next time I'll probably just sear them on my gas grill with my Grill Grates.  It just took too long for the MAK to get up to searing temp (and when the steaks look that good, patience is not a virtue).  I will continue to use my gas grill for basic stuff (like hot dogs, brats, and burgers), but I did use my MAK griddle for searing up some bison burgers. 

So basically, I'll be using my MAK for smoking and baking and my gas grill for high heat, quick cooks.

Something I discovered a while back.. Put your Grill Grates in your MAK. I have enough to cover the main cooking area of mine. If I set the temp not he MAK to 350F - I can get decent grill marks. That's right 350F! SO experiment with the grill grates in your MAK....you may find a combination that will surprise you ;)
So when you say you have enough GG's to cover the main cooking area, are you actually covering every sq. inch of cooking space? If yes, does that not mess with proper airflow. I've got plenty of GG panels to cover mine too. Just assumed it would mess with proper airflow/temps readings.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
Correct. It is not an exact fit - and the air gapping at either end of the grill seems to be sufficient for grilling I have not tested this approach for smoking - and I am only guessing here - but I think that low and slow temps may be o.k. too.

Better yet - check with MAK...they have a Frill -Grate like product -that was designed for the MAK cookers, so it should be even better in this application. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

My MAK cooks
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Correct. It is not an exact fit - and the air gapping at either end of the grill seems to be sufficient for grilling I have not tested this approach for smoking - and I am only guessing here - but I think that low and slow temps may be o.k. too.

Better yet - check with MAK...they have a Frill -Grate like product -that was designed for the MAK cookers, so it should be even better in this application. ;)
Gotcha, thanks! I agree about the MAK sear grates. Definitely made for the MAK, with no chance of airflow restriction. But if the GG's work well...I already have those, and they are PAID for ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)