Author Topic: The MAK has landed!  (Read 4662 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: The MAK has landed!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
Fantastic! MAK only makes "no compromise" quality, best engineered pellet grills. And - I will bet you are already looking at some of the accessories ;D

Oh yes I am! Wanted to wait till I got it to figure out what I wanted to add. I know I want to add a rack....or 2, just need to figure out what works best for how I wind up using the grill.

Speaking of accessories, are there other compatible temp probes? I checked my Maverick probes and they don't work with the pellet boss and vise versa. Wondering if there is a slightly more affordable probe that works with the boss. 

Just started the chicken and I'm like a little kid with his Santa wish list toy on Christmas morning! Who says life sucks the joy out of you?!

It's all in the attitude! Stay thirsty my friend..... ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
Nice grill Mike!!! I know you'll like it! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »
So just finished up with chow and have some first impressions.

Wound up smoking the chicken for a little over an hour then finished off at 350. Didn't do it skin down for the 350 portion and may try that next time. Flavor was good, seasoned with big poppas desert gold which I like cause it's close to the profile of my go to seasoning I make myself. Skin had a nice golden color and looked great(pics later) but wasn't quite crispy. Smoke was light which I was expecting and will probably hit it longer on smoke next time if I have the time, but that's a personal thing and am not complaining. But was it juicy and tender you ask? Oh was it ever!! I was very surprised and pleased with how moist and tender it came out. Probably one of the more moist chickens I have done in quite some time. Wife was raving about it, but she wasn't picking up any smoke flavor. This comes from a lifetime of heavy oak BBQ for her and I. I could taste the smoke but would like a little more. Again, that's personal taste but I think it came out great for a first go. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised and rather happy with the results and look forward to to getting this thing dialed in! 
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 11:44:52 PM »
Congratulations, remember bacon first ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 03:19:26 AM »
Congrats on the MAK Mike! Pellet grills do a good job of smoking but it's not the same as a stick burner. Yes, pellets ARE wood but it's not the same environment so you will always get a mild smokiness, never heavy. I actually like that about them. Wings are great on my Traeger as are ABTs. That MAK is a far better built grill than my Traeger so I know you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment out of it!

Makes me think it's time to order another smoker myself!  ;) ::) :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
I like!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
Congrats on the MAK Mike! Pellet grills do a good job of smoking but it's not the same as a stick burner. Yes, pellets ARE wood but it's not the same environment so you will always get a mild smokiness, never heavy. I actually like that about them. Wings are great on my Traeger as are ABTs. That MAK is a far better built grill than my Traeger so I know you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment out of it!

Makes me think it's time to order another smoker myself!  ;) ::) :P

Think you should go couch shopping before you get another grill, make sure it's comfortable to sleep on! Waiting to hear what you think of that UNNI. That ones been rolling around in the back of my head as well.

What's your typical method on wings? Have a wedding to go to this afternoon so no BBQin today but am thinking of doing wings tomorrow. Oh, have a pork butt in the freezer too....hmmmm. Curious to see how the butt compares to the last one I did on the PBC. That was probably the best pulled pork I have done yet and it only took like 6 hours!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »
Mike, I have a new couch so I'm good there, lol!!

As for wings, I put them on a cookie sheet cooling rack and place that onto a half sheet pan (cookie sheet) and let them dry out in the fridge for as long as I have time for, at least overnight. I actually buy the stackable cookie cooling racks and load one on top of the other and then place that whole thing, sheet and all, into the Traeger. I do this with ABTs too. You may not need to do any of that since I am sure your MAK has a lot more room than my little Traeger.

I like to start mine off with smoke (smoke setting) and let them go for 30 minutes to an hour and then ramp up to 225° for a bit and I also flip and change ends since the Traeger has hot spots I have to move them around a little. I then ramp it up to 350° to finish them. They come out a little smokey and very tender and just crispy enough. Once you ramp that temp up, you really have to keep an eye on'em or you'll have burnt wings in no time flat.

As for seasoning, we use Mad Hunky "Hot Whang" seasoning

Really good stuff!

Here's what I am talking about in reference to stacking them (ABTs but same principle)

For clarification purposes, when I say "we" I mean my wife. She's the wing master. I just sit back and watch her go!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 11:40:03 AM »
Perfect, going to give that a go. We usually just make a simple sauce ourselves with butter, garlic, sriracha and salt and pepper. Very simple but good with just a little spicy kick. We went to Zion national park in Utah a couple years ago and went to a local spot to eat and they had the best wings I have ever had and have been trying to replicate that for a while now with mixed results. They had a peanut butter sauce on them that wasn't real heavy on the peanut butter with a nice spicy bite and great crunch. They were so good and it was a pleasant surprise. Time to start experimenting a little more!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
Many people when using a pellet grill for the first time, comment on the "lite" flavor of smoke. This is probably from coming from years of actually "oversmoking" on other pits. Wood flavor should be another component of the overall flavor of the protein, not the main headliner.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
I knew the smoke flavor was going to be light and that's not an issue. Most of my BBQin has been done on an open pit over oak for years and that has a totally different taste than any other methods and tends to have quite a bit of smoke to it. That's not always a good thing though. Have to say that last nights chicken was not only the easiest I have done, but probably one of the most tender as well. The wife and I loved it! 
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »
Glad you and your wife are enjoying your new MAK  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32