Author Topic: Griddle on 2016 1 star  (Read 1161 times)

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Griddle on 2016 1 star
« Reply #-1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »
Just got my 3/4 upper rack and griddle from Mak and have a quick question. Instructions say to use the griddle over an uncovered flame zone, but I don't have the flame zone. So, drip pan or no drip pan? My thought would be that without the drip pan the heat would be uneven and would be hotter towards the burner side, but what do I know? That's why I turn to you guys.

Oh, and BTW, the MAK has exceeded my expectations so far! Was a little on the fence about a pellet smoker and how the flavor would be and let my just say that I have turned out a couple of the best tasting meals I think I have done yet. Chicken is ridiculously moist and tender and I did a New York steak the other night that tasted as good or better than any I have ever done on my open pit over oak and that's the standard that I measure all other BBQ by! No buyers remorse here that's for certain.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Gunny

• Salem Or
Re: Griddle on 2016 1 star
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
I also have a 3/4 top grill and found I am cooking most things up there, with a pan under, much much less clean-up.  I indirect cook most of the time, have both the flame zone and the other top, never use um. HTH
MAK 2 Star #2619 W/Remote Boss
Traeger Lil Tex....gone down the road
Original Traeger...bought from Joe himself

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:49:25 PM »
Quote from: mikeharold
Instructions say to use the griddle over an uncovered flame zone, but I don't have the flame zone. So, drip pan or no drip pan?

Leave that drip pan in, or you could end up with a mess!  The MAK Griddle works just fine with the Blank Drip Pan that comes with the MAK 1 Star..  It does get a little hotter a little quicker with the FlameZone (and a cover removed), but it works fine either way.

I'm willing to bet those instructions are for the MAK 2 Star, which comes with the FlameZone. The new 2016 MAK 1 Stars are the same size as the 2 Stars, so I think they both take the same Griddle now.

BTW - You can add that FlameZone later when your budget allows, and you will love it for when you want to grill steaks, burgers, chops, etc. But keep your blank drip pan for indirect cooking.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:01 PM »
Yep, Tent is spot on!  You want to leave the blank drip pan in place. It would get messy in the body of the pit, and you're correct, the temperature would be uneven in the griddle if you took that pan out-- you'd definitely have hot spots.     

It sounds like your griddle may have just had an older copy instruction sheet referring to the 2 Star features.

Here is the text from our current instruction sheet:

This griddle is made from high grade aircraft aluminum, with a hard anodized Teflon impregnated finish.  Over time, the finish can wear off just like a frying pan.  To help preserve the finish, follow these recommendations:

Spray cooking surface with oil or cooking spray
   for best non-stick results.

Do not cook at temperatures above 400°F.

Do not use metal cooking utensils.  Using high
   temperature tolerant silicone utensils will help prevent
   scratching the cooking surface. 

To clean, use only hot water, dish soap, and a
   non-abrasive cloth.

DO NOT put griddle in the dishwasher, as the detergent will harm the Teflon surface. 

MAK GRILLS LLC • support@makgrills.com • (503) 623-1234
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:27:09 AM »
Got it, thanks Tent and Kat. Pretty much figured but wanted to make sure. Makes sense about the instructions, had me wondering for a quick second....never a good thing!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear