Author Topic: Thanksgiving error message. Fire pot flame out error  (Read 2411 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Thanksgiving error message. Fire pot flame out error
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »
The main problems I have had on other forums are due to the moderators and site owners mostly. One or two bad apples can be warned about their actions or even tossed. But when the people who are in charge are the problem then that is a different story.

There is a way to treat others and this is set by example by mods and site owners. If you allow a gang mentality to develop with your membership then it will get out of control. And if the mods participate in it then that is even worse.

Also reading membership PMs when not prompted to by a member. Just because you have the ability to read PMs does not mean you should. I experienced this at a site before. They read my PMs to another member and reacted by warning me immediately about a two week old thread I posted that we were discussing that the mod did not like. The PMs should be left private unless there is a complaint about them by a member receiving them.

Using "Red" wording in posts when "admonishing" a member so everyone can see is not the proper way to handle things. To show something that was edited is one thing but to use it as a punishment tool or scare tactic is wrong. Remove the offending post and PM the member in a respectful way. Many times this is done to show their presence and power by the mod. And sending a PM to a member like they are a "child" and not treating them with respect.

Or even posting derogatory things about other members in the threads and even allowing certain members to do it when taking their side. I just stopped posting at another forum because of what I saw the owner post about a member. The owner promptly deleted the post but I saw it before it was deleted. This guy did not deserve what was said about him! That is ok though because he is a great member of this site ;)

So in my opinion as long as there are great mods at the top here like Tee then even though as we grow there will be some bad apples they can be hand picked out of the bunch.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
We have grown quite a bit in the last couple of months and I was a bit concerned but everyone has just settled on in and are part of our family now!!

I was offered a Moderator position which I gladly and humbly accepted because I figured with the great group we got here, I aint gonna have too much to do!!  ;D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
muebe - thanks for the compliments... Please allow me to re-state who I feel we are here, and why there is an LTBBQ:

We DO NOT ever read PM's...That is lower than low in my opinion. Otherwise why call them "Private Messages" ;D

LTBBQ IS USER DRIVEN.....What that means is that un-like other sites, we can never be manipulated by advertisers and site sponsors. We want to treat them with warm welcoming respect and we NEED them - but we are a USER site and the actual value in that to an advertiser is better - because they can trust that we will offer genuine, fair, honest opinion about various products - but not be nasty, and be-rating of anyone.

We will never support a "gang mentality" - from any group. Mods, or members. Nor will you EVER see any members being "admonished" in public view. EVER... Red will never be used as a "scolding color" even in private. It just is not the kind, or honorable way to fix a situation, or guide someone back to friendly conversation.

All - of the negative things that we have all experienced elsewhere can be prevented up by these:

1.The Golden Rule. Use it, and believe in it. It has no caveat emptor for "well - he did it first". It is just the way we should always think before we respond.

2. LTBBQ will ALWAYS be a user driven site. And - that means that the flavor, and feeling here will be a direct reflection of the quality of the membership. If we see that there are some folks that do not understand the importance of that - then..we will make all reasonable attempts to reach out to them in private, before just "axing" them. it is our goal to be inclusive - not exclusive. ;)
Life is hard sometimes, and - I have seen that - as have we all. Sometime, folks allow the stresses of life to cause them to vent or boil-over - and if that happens  and is in-appropriate, we will handle it in a well measured, timely and - above all...kind manner.

And...I have asked Smokeasaurus to help out as a moderator, as I have some time commitments that are going to keep me from being "omnipresent"  :D.....
Smoke has more posts here than anyone, he loves the site, and and is a cheerful, helpful member of our community - that we can count on to always  look after the interest of the members first. In other words - he is just like everyone else here. ;D
BTW - I will be tapping more of you on the shoulder and asking if you would like to help out as well, as we grow.

After all...there would not be an LTBBQ without YOU - the members. YOU are the site. Not the other way around.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Thanksgiving error message. Fire pot flame out error
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
What a great write up Tee. You nailed what is great about this site, and what is lacking elsewhere.

No idea how I managed to make it through the screening process ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
What a great write up Tee. You nailed what is great about this site, and what is lacking elsewhere.

I better keep a closer eye on this one Tee!!  ;D :D :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »

We wrote tour Dr. and asked for a copy of your last physical... :D

Seroiusly, all it takes to be a welcome member here is a good attitude. We learn everything else from others as we go. I love it when a new to BBQ person pots some ideas that I have never though of . It is great to know that just having an open mind about learning form others can leaf to great fun and friendships.
Oh...and expanding waistlines too if you are not careful! :D :D :D

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 12:32:51 PM »
Tee I know that this site is not all about the things I mentioned. I just wanted to share my experiences with what I see wrong with other sites. Although I did not need any clarification from you I am sure others will appreciate what you have stated ;)

As with any building the base is most important to the entire structure. We are the base and it is up to us to make sure this site stays the way it should. I have no worries because we are starting off with excellent management(base) and the rest of the structure will build itself properly on it's own.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
Thanks muebe!

I felt like it is a good thing to re-inforce occasionally for all members. I know you are an "old hand" around here and as one of the core/foundation - you know you can count on us to do the right thing - always.

But, as that is not as common a practice on the 'net - it may be good to reassure all newer folks that we are not regimented, and anal about how this site works - quite the opposite.

We rely on the character of the individuals, and put our faith in the membership to have a good experience here by just being nice. Really simple as that. :)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
I was offered a Moderator position which I gladly and humbly accepted!!  ;D :D

fine, well i want a t-shirt then.  lol.....  congrats to our own smokeasaurus (smoke to his friends) on the moderator postion.  do we have to call him Sir Smoke now and bow when he is in the room?   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
No...smoke is still just one of us :D...truth is it is not an elevation of "position" on LTBBQ to be a moderator. It is an attitude of service to our community, and somone you can call on to move threads for you and help with "housekeeping stuff". Tha is the real truth of moderating a forum. It is not a status symbol.

But - it is a mark of someone that thinks enough of the forum, and it's members that he wants to do more to see that everyone has a good time.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »
All very well said. I really enjoy the people here.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »
i still waiting on my Lettalkbbq t-shirt t.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »

That will be better than PBC jammies Sparky!! :D

and if you want to bow when I pass by, that is OK with me!!  :D ;D :D ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
and if you want to bow when I pass by, that is OK with me!!  :D ;D :D ;D

ok, my wife makes me do it too.   :'(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66