Author Topic: Dry Ribs  (Read 3225 times)

Offline LarryO1947

Dry Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:51:54 AM »
Did a rack of St Louis cut ribs,yesterday on my Rec Tec Mini pellet at 230 degrees. Used the 3-2-1 system with dry rubs only. No sauce. I did use parkay,brown sugar, and honey during the the wrap. Pulled after 1/2 hr instead of 1 hr on final unwrapped time. Ribs were very tender, and the bite was great. BUT...were very dry. I did spritz them about every 45 minutes on the first 3 hours. Any suggestions to help moisten them up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline Kona

Re: Dry Ribs
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »
Have you tried a dry brine on your ribs of Kosher salt? I usually dry brine mine to place on my Pit Barrel the night before. This is a good article on "mythbusting" mopping, basting and spritzing food during cooks, it doesn't do anything for the moisture in the meat. The pic are ribs I just did with a dry brine, they always come out extremely juicy...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Good looking ribs :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline GunSlinger

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
Have you tried a dry brine on your ribs of Kosher salt? I usually dry brine mine to place on my Pit Barrel the night before. This is a good article on "mythbusting" mopping, basting and spritzing food during cooks, it doesn't do anything for the moisture in the meat. The pic are ribs I just did with a dry brine, they always come out extremely juicy...

Tell me more about dry brine method with salt on ribs. Haven't heard of it but your ribs look great.

Thank you.
Brinkmann Smoke N'Grill
MES 30" x2
GMG Jim Bowie (sold)
Blaz'n Grill GridIron Pro
ThermoWorks ChefAlarm, ThermoPop & Smoke
Grill Grates
AMPS (5x8)
Qmatz
DG Downdraft Mod
Beast Injector
Malcom Reed BDI Injector

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »

Tell me more about dry brine method with salt on ribs. Haven't heard of it but your ribs look great.

Thank you.

Dry brine on ribs is just using Kosher salt, usually a half teaspoon per pound, sprinkled on both sides. Usually ribs are only 50% meat so 1/4 teaspoon per pound should be fine. I always eyeball it and probably use more than that amount. The salt penetrates and gets down into the meat. It helps retain moisture and also helps with bark formation. Try to do it at least 1 - 2 hours before. I always do it overnight and will apply my rub the next day about a couple hours before cooking.

Because I use salt as a dry brine, I don't use salt in my rub, I use Memphis Dust which is a salt free recipe.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
I'm with Kona on the dry brining method. I also either use Memphis Dust or a very low in salt commercial rub.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline GunSlinger

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
Okay, thanks for the info.
Brinkmann Smoke N'Grill
MES 30" x2
GMG Jim Bowie (sold)
Blaz'n Grill GridIron Pro
ThermoWorks ChefAlarm, ThermoPop & Smoke
Grill Grates
AMPS (5x8)
Qmatz
DG Downdraft Mod
Beast Injector
Malcom Reed BDI Injector

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
I'm with Kona on the dry brining method. I also either use Memphis Dust or a very low in salt commercial rub.

when it comes to any commercial rub, I tend to look for 100mg or less. Some of the new Weber seasoning are about 60 and I've heavily coated wings with them and were not salty at all
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline LarryO1947

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »

Thank you.

Dry brine on ribs is just using Kosher salt, usually a half teaspoon per pound, sprinkled on both sides. Usually ribs are only 50% meat so 1/4 teaspoon per pound should be fine. I always eyeball it and probably use more than that amount. The salt penetrates and gets down into the meat. It helps retain moisture and also helps with bark formation. Try to do it at least 1 - 2 hours before. I always do it overnight and will apply my rub the next day about a couple hours before cooking.

Because I use salt as a dry brine, I don't use salt in my rub, I use Memphis Dust which is a salt free recipe.

Thanks Kona. Will give it a try.  :thumbup:
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
This is the Memphis Dust recipe...

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Let's give credit where credit is due - Memphis Dust was invented by Meathead of amazingribs.com. His recipe is here and originally included 1/4 cup of salt (the omission of which was discussed above). It's pretty much my go-to rub for ribs & butt although I sometimes add some cayenne or ground chilies just for a little extra bite.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
I've never tried dry brining, but will probably git it a shot next time.

The rub that use (Big Dick's Rib Rub) is only 55 mg of salt but has a high sugar content.

I've pretty much given up on wrapping or spritzing.  It's a shame because I finally got some really nice (glass) spray bottles that will likely never get used ! ! !

Here's my last run.  I finished them off with Big Red Rib Glaze.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline LarryO1947

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:08 AM »
Let's give credit where credit is due - Memphis Dust was invented by Meathead of amazingribs.com. His recipe is here and originally included 1/4 cup of salt (the omission of which was discussed above). It's pretty much my go-to rub for ribs & butt although I sometimes add some cayenne or ground chilies just for a little extra bite.

Thanks for the info...... :thumbup:
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline LarryO1947

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:25 AM »
Thanks Big Dawg. Will give the glaze a try.
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Thanks Big Dawg. Will give the glaze a try.

The biggest problem, Larry, seems to be finding the Big Red soda itself, as it appears to be a regional brand.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC