Author Topic: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review  (Read 68533 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:22 PM »
Smoke...I will be in your area April 18-20.....Might need to sample some of your "review product" off that MAK ;)

Give me a call when you can and we will coordinate. Will be stalking and shooting wild hogs in the nite with thermal vision on a my buddy's ranch south of Cleburne , so will not be far away.
Careful Smoke. He may never leave

Can't stay long....'cause like George Strait says....:

AND...it is true... ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
Smoke...I will be in your area April 18-20.....Might need to sample some of your "review product" off that MAK ;)

Give me a call when you can and we will coordinate. Will be stalking and shooting wild hogs in the nite with thermal vision on a my buddy's ranch south of Cleburne , so will not be far away.

When I win the Lottery I’m going to be “T”s hunting buddy ;D

Come on down CDN.....We will go shoot dinner... ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »

Yes Sir, gotta work all weekend, will shoot you a call on Monday.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:41 AM »

I know Pappy, gotta take the chance................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
Lets talk about accessories for your MAK 2 Star.

Now before I get started just want to let anyone know that these accessories are every bit as sturdy as the grill itself.....and then some.

Here is the 3/4 upper cooking grate. These versions do not have legs, they slide in to the grill now. I mention this, because if you have an older grill without these slide in ports and would like to get some, better give MAK a call and see if they have the racks still with the legs.  Of course some lag bolts work nicely,,,,,,,,,

The full size upper cooking grate is one piece. You could use it for your main grill if you so wish. You could also use your 1/2 cooking grates up high as well. There are many configurations with the different size cooking grates.

Here is a picture of the full size cooking grate accessory with the included 1/2 cooking grate up top. More of the traditional set up we see in the pellet grill world.

As you can see the additional cooking grates both 3/4 and full size really expand your cooking space. They are all extremely heavy duty.

We will be using all the grates in different configurations on upcoming cooks so please stay tuned.

Now this next accessory we really wanted. In fact so much, we bought two. We planned on replacing our gas griddle because The Smoke is basically just an old worn out fry cook.

Why not use the MAK as our pellet fired flat top griddle??  Sure beats lugging propane tanks around. Got the pellets already.

Now the griddle is surprisingly light in weight. After the heavy weight of the grates and of course all the components on the grill, this was welcomed........I was getting tuckered out!!

The griddle is made of high grade aircraft aluminum with a hard anodized Teflon finish.

You will want to keep your flame zone covers in place and set the griddle right over it. The griddle basically covers half the grill horizontally. So we purchased two.

Also, very important, 400 degrees is the max temp and I think you will find that 350-375 works very nicely.

In this photo you see the griddle in place. The other section has the flame zone cover also in place so you could do a rack of ribs on the back portion of the grill and cook yourself some bacon and eggs or a burger for lunch.  Brilliant!!!! Try doing that on any other grill.

By simply removing the 1/2 cooking grate and setting in the other griddle you have a full size flat top pellet fired griddle!!!!

Yeah I know they both have the edges which keeps them separated in a way but I found when cooking that these tall edges really help in keeping food on the griddle. Handy for keeping certain food types separated, easy to mix them together though.
We are going to use these griddles a lot!!

Now I always thought "The MAK is too small. I aint paying that money for a small grill"  The MAK 2 Star and the 1 Star are not small. They will get the job done for a small family and easily feed all the bubbas when they come over.

With the full size cooking grate accesorie you can do 8 racks of ribs. Yeah they might be a bit squeezed in there, but MAK loves us and wants us to get our ribs on!!!

So, here is the MAK rib rack. Super heavy duty (no surprise there) and will hold 8 racks of rib with room in between the ribs for all that nice heat and smoke.

Yeah, this is all nice but I still have to have a gas grill (who in there right mind would ever want a gas grill?).....some do, that's cool, but with a MAK you do not have to have one one.

Now why would you want to have a gas grill to go along with your MAK?  Or why would you want to have a charcoal grill?

To sear!!!!!  Because, well you know "PELLET GRILLS CAN NOT SEAR"  Oh yes they can.

I do have to give some of the other pellet grill manufacturers some props here. There are some pretty neat grilling options now so more and more pellet grills can sear.

But we are talking about MAK. The top dog. The big Kahuna. The Boss. The Man. The gold standard................you get what I mean.

So MAK makes a searing grate for those sear marks we all know and love.

The searing grate is also made from high grade aircraft aluminum and is teflon impregnated.

The grate replaces the half cooking grate and you will remove the flame zone cover for high heat grilling.

Here is the searing grate installed with the 1/2 rack cooking grate

For those large cooks when doing a bunch of burgers, juicy steaks or pork chops or hot dogs. simply put in another searing grate for a full size sear station....only on a MAK

Here is a little teaser for what is to be coming up soon......................

Wouldn't it be neat to sear and grill at the same time???

Why not?  Simple put in a griddle and a searing grate. As you can see, whe have quite a bit of possibilities here

Now, I have always felt that all grills should come with a front shelf. But sadly, many do not. That is just one of my pet peeves.

Got the front shelf for the MAK. Again. super heavy duty and it comes with a towel rack. How cool is that?? Super easy install and does it fit nicely.

This front shelf does not seem like an after-thougth, it looks like it belongs there!!

Along with the hopper lid and the warming lid, the MAK can hold all the goodies you need during the cook!!

How about another pet peeve? All grills should include a cover. Why would you not cover something that makes you all this delicous smoke kissed food?

How you go to sleep at night and sleep peacefully with your MAK uncovered??   I cant!!!!!!!

I have heard stories of MAK grill covers not living up to the quality of everything MAK.

That has been addressed!! A new Mfg is on board and these covers are sweet. It fits the 2 Star with or without the front shelf nicely. Buckles are included to keep the cover on the MAK if it gets windy. This is a nice cover folks.

In closing about the accessories, yes they are not cheap. They are very well thought out and add to the MAK experience. They are very worthy of being attatched or used with your MAK grill and they really heighten the MAK experience. You will see this throughout the review.

I would like to also add that the griddle and sear grates are to be washed with warm soapy water. Never put in the dishwasher.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:27:02 AM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
The griddle(s)... one accessory that I do not have. Kind of hard to tell by the pics, but with 2 griddles in place, does there appear to be adequate “gap-spacing” for proper airflow?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
The griddle(s)... one accessory that I do not have. Kind of hard to tell by the pics, but with 2 griddles in place, does there appear to be adequate “gap-spacing” for proper airflow?

Yup, and not to spoil an upcoming cook review, those griddles cooked very evenly!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »
I did Salisbury steak and a mushroom gravy as my first griddle cook. Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
I did Salisbury steak and a mushroom gravy as my first griddle cook. Fantastic

Yup, and not to spoil an upcoming cook review, those griddles cooked very evenly!!
I guess the one thing that has kept me from purchasing is the thought that I can already do this on my 2 (different sizes) Blackstone griddles. With that said, my griddles do not have the surrounding wall on all 4 sides like the MAK griddle does. I could see that adding a bit more versatility. Even some small scale frying. Look forward to seeing you put it to use.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
Wow!  Great review Smoke!  What an impressive Cooker!!!!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »

Definitely! I can also see the wheels spinning in your head on what type of modifications you could make to it!  ;) 8) :D
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »

Definitely! I can also see the wheels spinning in your head on what type of modifications you could make to it!  ;) 8) :D
Oh no you don't. Just leave it like it is. Don't mess with art.

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »

Oh no you don't. Just leave it like it is. Don't mess with art.

Pappy is wise, this is one grill that Tommy and Tom could not "improve upon" no matter how talented they are   :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2018, 07:33:24 PM »

Hang in there Tom, we might even start cooking on it soon  :)     There are just so many things to point out. In fact, I have to take some more pictures tomorrow on a couple of items I forgot to mention.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: MAK 2 Star General Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
Here are some more standard features you will find on your MAK 2 Star General:

There is a little trap door just to the right of the fire pot and grease channel that you remove and just whisk broom your ashes through the opening

Underneath the trap door opening is a grease container to hold your ashes and grease. This will hold a bunch and no more cheap looking toy buckets

Speaking of the fire pot, there is a small cotter pin you remove and your fire pot comes out for easy dumping.

This firepot is solid stainless and heavy duty. It has two openings on the side. One for the flashfire ignition and above it for the auger tube.
You do not have to worry about burnback in a MAK Grill since the auger is above the fire.

Now the MAK is easy to clean. You do have to remove the entire quick change grease pan system. Still a pain in the arse?? That is up to you. You do not have to drag out the shop-vac so that is nice. The grease pan system keeps the bottom of the grill grease free (at least, so far) and you simply whisk the ashes out and quick dump the fire-pot. I have been told that the brains at MAK are looking at ways to make some sort of easier way of fire-pot cleaning. When and if this happens is anybodys guess.

On the front of the hopper to the right of the pellet boss is a little trap door so you can remove your pellets. If you like to change flavors or have special mixtures of pellets you will really like this feature

Speaking of the hopper, look at the inside. Hopper will hold 20 lbs of pellets. The auger looks strong enough to dig for oil and the hopper is specially designed to feed all the pellets to the auger without any funneling of pellets......MAK has thought of everything.

Well, it is time for Wendy and I to get cooking on our MAK 2 Star General, hang in there, we got a whole lotta cooking to do  :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven