Author Topic: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review  (Read 70289 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
Well folks, Wendy and I hit a wall. I have had to work some double shifts the last two days and Wendy hasn't felt her best lately.
We have shown you the packing of the MAK and all of its features.

But we gotta get cooking. We need help!!! This is just too daunting of a review for us. If only there was someone that could get the cooking portion of this review going.

Is there anyone out there that is capable of this enviable task. Please, we need help, will somebody please step up to the plate................

Our prayers have been answered!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give to you, for the first time ever on-line.............drum roll please..................................................

2 Star Smoochy

Let the cooking begin!!!!!!   :) 

Oh and just to let y'all know it really is just Smoochy. The helmet really sells it. :)  Just another one of his alter-egos..............

Think he is green with envy Smoke.....He wants one too
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
Lets get cooking. There will be no rhyme or reason to our cooks. Just real life. Of course the holy tri-fecta of brisket,butts and ribs will be done, but get ready for so much more.

To start off let me tell you about the first time you fire your MAK up. It sounds like one lean cooking machine. The fan is the quietest I have ever heard and that flashfire ignition gets you fired up in no-time.  Just what we need for late night work day cooking.

Our first cook we decided to break the MAK in with a T-Bone steak.
Now I am going to be mentioning the various set ups we have the Flamezone in because it really helps to show the unprecedented versatility of the MAK.

Here you will see where we left the Flamezone cover in place and removed the other and added the searing grate.
We are set up for high heat grilling and indirect cooking all on the same cooking surface!

Meanwhile back in the kitchen, Wendy hit the steaks with MAK's Mesquite rub. The other steak got gunpowder

Finally, meat on the MAK

But wait, you only did half the grill for direct searing what about the indirect side??

How about some of Wendys homemade MAk and Cheese!!!

We put the MAK and cheese on first to get warm and smokey and then tossed the steaks on to sear.

I sure didn't mind sitting down to this plate

In closing, the MAK came up to temp fast. This is quite a outdoor cooking machine. We were able to sear and bake at the same time.
Steak was seared perfectly and the MAK and Cheese was smokey good.

I was really impressed with the smoke I got with the MAk set at 400. The MAK and Cheese confimed that!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2018, 09:41:45 AM »
NICE!  Looking good Smoke!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »
Awesome Smoke!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
That was some meal & grill
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline skidog

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
Looking good!
If you have an IR gun I would be interested in how even the temps are with both sear grates installed and the flame zone covers removed. Like if you wanted to use the whole thing for a grilling surface, how much of a difference in temp there is between the middle and the 4 corners?
That is if you don't mind.  :)

Enjoying you review, between you and tenthunter it's the only decent information on the MAK grills since like 2013. I feel like MAK needs to do some updating on their website and videos.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
Nicely done!! So, the steak was grilled at 400° the entire cook, is that correct?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline rwalters

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
Looking good!
If you have an IR gun I would be interested in how even the temps are with both sear grates installed and the flame zone covers removed. Like if you wanted to use the whole thing for a grilling surface, how much of a difference in temp there is between the middle and the 4 corners?
That is if you don't mind. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:06:22 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
Great looking plate of food
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2018, 07:01:07 PM »
That right there is worth it all
Love to cook and eat

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »
Nice way to break in your Mak!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »
Looking good!

Enjoying you review, between you and tenthunter it's the only decent information on the MAK grills since like 2013. I feel like MAK needs to do some updating on their website and videos.

If I had an IR gun I would do that for you, but sadly I do not...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
Nicely done!! So, the steak was grilled at 400° the entire cook, is that correct?

We had the MAK at 400 for the entire cook. I was a little worried about the MAK and Cheese at that temp and it was fine.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2018, 10:33:31 PM »
Looking good!

I used to leave the MAk website not really knowing more than when I started. When we were doing serious pellet grill research, many other manufacturers web sites really spelled it out for you.

Maybe MAK will  do some changes to their site. The site seems cold and antiseptic to me. Not bashing, just stating how I feel.

Lets give MAK some credit, they are on board with this review and we are out to show the grilling world what a MAK can do. For those who own one, you know what I mean, we need to get this information out there so potential owners can really understand the genius of MAK and can then make a sound purchase.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »
Looking good!

I have to grin and nod a little about this comment :)...because I understand what you mean. I think of MAK as inventive, quality driven, and extremely conscious of durability and performance. And, while I cannot - nor would I intentionally attempt to speak o n their behalf - I believe that based on their actions (= products...) they have a core philosophy that has been so focused on making the best grill they can....that the " warm fuzzy" of the feel of a website has not been the priority.
Perhaps another perspective would be , that while many companies attempt to wow you with website marketing ( which is not a criticism of anyone...just observation...) and they expend a great deal of time, and energy doing so ( which coasts $$$$) ...MAK has put virtually all of their effort into product. Maybe more of a "If we build it they will come..." thinking?
Regardless, I find no "compromise" in their process to produce the best grill they can. But..yeah a more informative website couldn't hurt... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401